Did I mix this track right?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I just finished a trance track, and this time, I put some more efforts into mixing and mastering. I actually ended up with 4 revisions. The funny story is that I felt good enough with the third revision, but when I played the track on my carp headphone...heck no! Sounded so terrible. So I tweaked the track again using the crap headphone, and the final result is translating well in all the devices that I have.

I have heard about the statement that if you make something sound great in a crappy speaker, it will sound great in all speakers. I guess I finally experienced how true this is.

Anyway, here is the track. I would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know if my mixing is on the right direction. Thanks in advance! :tu:
https://soundcloud.com/ray_d8/multiverse/s-m7lmc
Last edited by hhuang9611 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trance, Trance Is Life

the mix and freq balance is pretty good to my ears, only slightly squashed when it gets dense.
the song itself is ho hum same ol same ol trance.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:49 pm the mix and freq balance is pretty good to my ears, only slightly squashed when it gets dense.
the song itself is ho hum same ol same ol trance.
Thanks! :tu: And yes, after a night of sleep, I listened to it again and find out that the drop section does sound squashed. Gonna fix that with a fresh pair of ears. Also, I accept that it's a mundane trance track, still on my early stage tho (I think this is my 7th track, so still along way to go, but at least I am hopefully on the right direction)
Trance, Trance Is Life

well, dont fix it too much, i said only slightly squashed :wink:

on the DDR meter im seeng a 7.0 average, ideal would be 10.
at the 01:00-1:48 and 3:37 - 5:00 sections :borg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mix sounds fine on my crappy phone speaker. Like Lazer said, tune is very same old, same old. Needs some original ideas to lift it imho.

Nice arrangement and overall quality.

Clap at 0:22 doesn't sit very well in the mix. It's too loud, too wet/unprocessed and a bit off beat imo :) where is the gated reverb?!

Kick sounds muffled. What's its fundamental frequency? I like mine around 45-55 hz for that deep omph, this one almost sounds like it's sitting above the bassline and not vice versa. Could be a matter of taste ofc!
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261
www.soundcloud.com/frozen_orb
www.facebook.com/frozenorbmusic

candybag wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:53 pm Kick sounds muffled.
again, this is an artifact of over compression. your kick will almost always sound buried when the volume of everything else is brought to its level.

lay off the limiter some and it's great.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Music Cafe”