This synth

How to make that sound...
taragana
KVRer
12 posts since 25 Jan, 2016

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:56 am

How do I recreate this synth in an vst?

https://clyp.it/xcnfaznj

It's something I made a long time ago with a friend on an analog synth, but can't really remember which one and how.

Kwurqx
KVRist
133 posts since 15 Jun, 2017

Re: This synth

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 am

For the basics...

Pairs of 2 notes in (repeating) patterns. A lower note (starts with F) together with a second higher note patterns (starts with G, A, C).

The actual sound sounds like it's just 2 SAW oscillators through a pretty much closed 24 dB/Oct Lowpass filter with some resonance turned up, possibly some drive/saturation. There's some phasing that is possibly caused by analog pitch instability and non-restarting/non-synced oscillators (causing inter oscillator phasing and resulting comb filter effects).

Modulation: Fast Attack an Short Decay on AMP and FILTER cutoff ADSR's. Filter cutoff modulation amount increases while the example runs. The increasing amount of passing higher partials increase the total energy (amplitude/volume). Sometimes the lower/higher energy partials/overtones (usually/especially the lowest/root/first partial) partially phase/cancel each other out resulting in a non-upward trend following lesser amplitude/volume for those specific notes.

Anyway...it's probably not to complicated to reproduce....

I hope this makes sense to you....

taragana
KVRer
12 posts since 25 Jan, 2016

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Kwurqx wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 am
For the basics...

Pairs of 2 notes in (repeating) patterns. A lower note (starts with F) together with a second higher note patterns (starts with G, A, C).

The actual sound sounds like it's just 2 SAW oscillators through a pretty much closed 24 dB/Oct Lowpass filter with some resonance turned up, possibly some drive/saturation. There's some phasing that is possibly caused by analog pitch instability and non-restarting/non-synced oscillators (causing inter oscillator phasing and resulting comb filter effects).

Modulation: Fast Attack an Short Decay on AMP and FILTER cutoff ADSR's. Filter cutoff modulation amount increases while the example runs. The increasing amount of passing higher partials increase the total energy (amplitude/volume). Sometimes the lower/higher energy partials/overtones (usually/especially the lowest/root/first partial) partially phase/cancel each other out resulting in a non-upward trend following lesser amplitude/volume for those specific notes.

Anyway...it's probably not to complicated to reproduce....

I hope this makes sense to you....
Thanks so much for this. I've tried, but as always I fail getting it to sound anywhere close. Mostly because I probably don't know what I'm doing. Is there anyway you could send how you could make it sound? And a preset I could see it in action? Sorry really bad at this, understable if not. I got Sylenth1, Serum and whatnot.

Kwurqx
KVRist
133 posts since 15 Jun, 2017

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 am

You seem to have the tools, but apparently lack some knowledge/experience on how to effectively use them. Maybe check out this excelllent free starter guide: Simon Cann - How to make a noise

The basics of synthesizers and synthesis are really not to complicated. It's really worth it to get yourself some of this knowledge on how to get more out of your tools. As with most things: it's more fun if you can get the results you are after...

See this KVR thread for more info....

How to make a noise: Free Book
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=76293

Return to “Sound Design”