Newbie pretty lost with Patchwork - can you help?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Bluecat-ers,

I've been a guitarist for many years, but I'm brand-new to DAWs and recording, and I think I need some help. I've read the Patchwork manual several times and have installed / uninstalled the software repeatedly since I bought the software earlier this week, and I'm just not getting it.

What I'm trying to do:

Install Patchwork standalone on a Mac and Win 7 (64 bit) machine
Install VST plugins in Reaper (Mac and Windows)
Install AU plugins in Garageband (Mac)
Somehow configure MIDI so that it works with Studio One Prime**

**(I know that S1 does not permit any outside VST plugins to be used with Prime, so I'm hoping the MIDI from the standalone might help there)

The thing is that I'm thoroughly confused about where all this stuff goes.

On the PC, for example, I've got the standalone Patchwork in a directory called Blue Cat Audio. The installer wants to place things in a directory called C://VSTPlugins. When I do that and then try to load a plugin from the standalone (by clicking "Load VST"), I get endless menus.

The instructions also say that you may need to install the plugins in multiple places..but if I try to do that, Windows notices I'm trying to install the same program in two different places and threatens to overwrite the older one.

Additionally, if I don't store the VST plugins in C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins, it seems like Reaper can't find them...but if I *DO*, then no OTHER application can find them.

This is, I'm positive, nothing to do with the product...I'm just new to this world and I'm not gettin' it. Would anyone be able to tell me exactly how I need to set this up so that the standalone and the other hosts both have easy access to the VSTs? And if someone knows, how would I get Studio One to recognize Patchwork as a MIDI device? I've been rereading the manual / Googling that all evening as well, and can't figure it out.

I appreciate your time reading, and would be most grateful for your assistance.

--Camannwordsmith

Hi there! I might be able to help with your Windows questions.

I wouldn't recommend installing your plugins in the Reaper/Plugins folder. Reaper loads those plugins by default on startup because that's the location of Reaper's integrated stock plugins. I recommend reinstalling your VST plugins elsewhere and leaving that folder alone. The reason your third-party apps (like Patchwork) can't find them is because they don't know to look there.

When it comes to installing your VST2 Plugins on Windows, I would recommend installing all of your 3rd party VST2 Plugins outside of your /program files/ directory. Different software installers will, by default, point to different folders for VST2 plugins inside your program files directory. If you don't pay attention and just leave the default settings, you can end up with VST plugins scattered across different folders on your system. Additionally, certain programs can also have problems (or just be blocked ourtright) by Windows or by virus scanners you may have from scanning other files outside of its own directory when things are located in the /program files/ folders. Since these folders require admin privileges for modifying, they tend to be locked down a bit more.

To fix this, I would recommend installing your VST2 plugins in separate folders outside of /program files/. The way I have mine set up is C:\VstPlugins32 and C:\VSTPlugins64 for 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Having them in an easy-to-find folder in your root directory that's easy to remember will make things much easier for you.

In case you're curious, the newer VST3 plugins are installed by default into C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 (or program files (x86)\Common Files\VST3) for 32-bit versions. Patchwork (and Reaper) will always search those folders by default for VST3 versions.

Then go into Reaper preferences and go to the Plugins/VST menu. Specify your new plugin folders where your VST plugins are installed, separated with semicolons. If you followed my example above it should look something like:
C:\VSTPlugins64;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
Since it appears you're on 64-bit Reaper, this will default your plugin searches to just 64-bit versions. If you want to load 32-bit plugins into Reaper, it will bridge them automatically. However, it's always optimal to use 64-bit plugins in 64-bit Reaper whenever possible for the best performance and accurate latency reporting.

Once you have your plugins installed in the right places, load up the standalone version of Patchwork. Click the wrench icon in the upper left corner, second row of menu buttons. Here you can specify the location for your VST Plugins directory. The second "user plugins directory" is just an additional option. The first directory slot you specify will be the one that loads up when you click a "+ slot" to load a plugin into Patchwork. If you followed my example earlier, point 64-bit Patchwork only to your 64-bit VST2 directories, and 32-bit to the 32-bit. So 64-bit Patchwork should look for C:\VSTPlugins64. You can't load 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Patchwork, or vice-versa. Patchwork does not have an automatic bridging capability like Reaper does.

For your midi device question on Studio One, you'll want to look for the Patchwork Synth version of the plugin. It should be recognized as a VSTi by your DAW.

Thank you so much!!! Particularly with the DLL files, I was very mixed up about what goes where. I tried your system last night and it works great!! Only remaining issue is that I can't get Studio One to find the synth, but now that I know I'm looking for it to register as a VSTi, I can research this more later.

I appreciate all the help!!!!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”