Poll: What percentage of music you listen to is what you've created?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

What % of music you listen to in the past year, non radio, is what you've created?

90% or more
7%
60% (roughly 2/3rds)
14%
40-60% (about half)
10%
30% (about 1/3rd)
No votes
10% or less
69%

Total votes: 29

Bombadil
KVRAF
2373 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from The Schwarzwald of My Mind

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 am

Far less than I used to. The person with whom I recorded most of my music died in 2011. At that time, I was remixing our old cassette recordings in Logic, and I was certainly a bit gobsmacked at how good it sounded with judicious use of compression and one less tape generation for the stereo mix-down. He died when I was around 6 songs into the process. I haven't been able to go near those tapes, since.
“We're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

harryupbabble
KVRian
1268 posts since 20 Mar, 2012 from Babbleon

Re: Poll: What percentage of music you listen to is what you've created?

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 am

I hardly listen to my music collection made by other famous "songwriting" people anymore (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, etc.)
I listen even less to the so-called songs that I made. No time. Plus, they are terrible. Not proper songs. Bad lyrics, bad music.

I mostly play speed scrabble now. Sometimes, it would be the other way around and I would spend more time trying to make songs than play speed scrabble. It flip flops. When waiting for someone to join my game, I do things like examine notations of pop songs.
I learn how many lyric lines there usually are in a verse. Et cetera. It all seems to be formula. And everything is in blocks and subdivisions.

It seems that making music is learnable but making lyrics is another matter. Structures of lyrics is learnable but content of lyrics is not? I think xoxos has a lyrics generator but it's "too random" and there is no "grammar" in that software. There really are no great software to assist in making "proper" lyrics? I Googled "grammar correctors" once. I couldn't find a free one.

That's probably why there are so many music-makers but much much much less lyricists here? I guess KVR is not really a songwriting site. Duh. Yup, uh-huh, here, even less are lyricist/melodyist in one person, also known as "songwriter". Here, there are only really two that write songs "a lot"? Wagtunes and Donkey Tugger? Oh wait, I almost forgot Nine Of Kings. He's kind of a prolific songwriter too?

Songwriters are rare? Less than one percent of the world's population are songwriters? Total guess there. But definitely, they are freaks?

Oops what was the topic again? Sorry, it's hard to stay on topic. Scatter-brain here.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

vurt
addled muppet weed
39375 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 am

harryupbabble wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 am
Wagtunes and Donkey Tugger? Oh wait, I almost forgot Nine Of Kings. But definitely, they are freaks?

harsh.
but fair.

pljones
KVRAF
6356 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:48 am

Radio... well, I get four hours a week but we'll skip that.

I spend about 6 hours recording music, you're not counting that.

I'll probably spend about the same again mixing recordings down, of which about a third would be listening to masters and the compressed versions.

I probably spend on average 1-2 hours listening to my purchased music collection. Often none. Sometimes more.

Every now and then, I'll dig out one of the tracks I worked on - some of them bear a few listens. (Sometimes I'll then go back and remix the track, of course...)

CircuitEYE
KVRist
102 posts since 11 Sep, 2017

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 pm

I hear my music enough when recording and mixing it.
I will then take some time off from it to get a clear perspective.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7374 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:30 pm

It will depend slightly on what you call "listening to music". If you are talking about listening to music for pleasure, then the answer would be never for me. I simply can't listen to it without my "world's harshest critic" hat on. Which isn't to say I don't like listening to it, it's just that I can't help listening to hear what's wrong with it, which kind of spoils it a bit. The only time I think I really enjoyed it was the first time I listened to our last album on CD in the car, after only having heard it as mp3s previously. The difference was incredible. It sounded so much better I honestly couldn't believe it because with other people's music, I don't really notice at all. So being critical can sometimes work in your favour.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Elektron Analog Keys, Waldorf Pulse 2 MicroMonsta, IK Uno.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”