New McDSP plugin?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
escalona
KVRist
218 posts since 16 Jan, 2018 from Portland, OR USA

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 am

Hi, does anyone know about this new plugin that has been announced to be released this week?

Pingafuego
KVRist
55 posts since 18 Apr, 2014

Re: New McDSP plugin?

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:35 pm

The first image looks like an improved version of their FRG compressor

Silaris
KVRist
275 posts since 15 Jan, 2003 from USA

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm

The 6060 Ultimate Module Collection? It appears to be an expansion of the 6050 Ultimate Channel Strip with more modules and slots.

plexuss
KVRAF
2471 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Not a bad plan: put out a pretty nice plugin (the 6050) at the usual intro price. sell it at regular sale prices at regular sales for awhile. while developing a better version of it. then give the 6050 users an upgrade price to the 6060. I hope... :phones:

escalona
KVRist

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 pm

plexuss wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm
Not a bad plan: put out a pretty nice plugin (the 6050) at the usual intro price. sell it at regular sale prices at regular sales for awhile. while developing a better version of it. then give the 6050 users an upgrade price to the 6060. I hope... :phones:
$299 native, $349 HD in musiciansfriend https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... tion-hd-v6
...uughh :help: :neutral:

simon.a.billington
KVRian
1472 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:31 am

I think they make good tech.

If I didn’t already have too many plugins and older projects relying on them I would have easily jumped on board. In all fairness I did wait a number of years for them to go AU, but figured it wasn’t going to happen so I bought into another company, or two.

The new channel strip “paradigm” seems to be a very popular trend in plugins, lately.

pekbro
KVRAF
2158 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:46 am

They will sell it cheaply at some point either way. Seemingly, when they need
to make some cash. Sometimes, you have to wait a while. While I wouldn't pass
it up for a bargain, its not a big deal to have all those modules in multiband for
me. At least not for much more than $50 or so.

jens
KVRAF
19036 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:40 am

Largest collection of processing options of any module-based plug-in
Ah, so T-Racks isn't "module-based", huh? - And neither is Nomad Magma and P&M VIP. :dog:
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey

Burillo
KVRAF
3148 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:58 am

seems they pulled it down already (Musician's Friend probably posted it too early), here's google-cached version: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... en&ct=clnk

getting module count up to six warranted an entire new plugin? What exactly was wrong with the 6050 and why couldn't that have been extended with new modules and drag-n-drop? seems like a cash grap to me. hey, buy the "ultimate" collecton, but then we'll release the ultimatest collection and charge you $300 for it!

also, still no in-between-module metering and trimming. pass.
From Russia with love

escalona
KVRist

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am

Burillo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:58 am
seems they pulled it down already (Musician's Friend probably posted it too early), here's google-cached version: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... en&ct=clnk

getting module count up to six warranted an entire new plugin? What exactly was wrong with the 6050 and why couldn't that have been extended with new modules and drag-n-drop? seems like a cash grap to me. hey, buy the "ultimate" collecton, but then we'll release the ultimatest collection and charge you $300 for it!

also, still no in-between-module metering and trimming. pass.
I see new units though (tape, bass specific processor,...)

Burillo
KVRAF
3148 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 am

well, yeah, there are new modules. i just don't see why they couldn't have been added to their already existing "ultimate" plugin (which by the way also has a separate multiband version - this one will probably get another $299 multiband version). i bet this new plugin also won't have sidechain working on Windows.
From Russia with love

jochicago
KVRist
244 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 am

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... tion-hd-v6

I agree that this seem like it should have been an update to the 6050. It's essentially the same thing + cash grab. To the point that it would be confusing to anybody new to this stuff.

With limited experience with the 6050 (got it recently), I do feel it needs more than 3 banks. But that can be easily solved by opening another instance to get 6 banks. New modules are probably nice, but it seems there's only a handful of them.

Also, looks like it's still missing some of the basics: mix knob on the way out, internal sidechain at least for a HPF (although it now has a B chain that may sever that purpose). The 6050 doesn't feel like a "channel strip" as much as a dynamics box. As a channel utility processor it doesn't begin to compare to something like the Scheps Omni. But when you need clean coloring on your track, these McDSP dynamics boxes are hard to beat.

I'm hoping that continued development on these things means they'll also fix the problems on Windows (no sidechain, funky knob behavior).

michaeltn86
KVRist
212 posts since 8 Jun, 2016

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 am

I don't think this should be an update, but it should be an upgrade.

MCDSP is the best CPU / SOUND ratio in my opinion by a really good margin. no spikes while changing parameters, and crazy good quality.

that said, their pricing / business practice, number of licenses provided, and looks make me think ten times before buying from them. I only have the ECHO and FUTZBOX, and they are really great.

btw, I forgot. the reason on "STRIPS" being a very serious thing is because of latency. each plugin loaded gives a very small latency like 10 samples. when the session builds up, it can hit pretty hard CPU / LATENCY wise.

and in that regard, MCDSP also really outshines the competition like SLATE (but I prefer SLATE's business model ten times more). and how I feel, really affects the plugin sound. I don't know why HAHAHA

zvenx
KVRAF
6887 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:20 am

sound sculptist

geronimo
KVRist
305 posts since 17 Oct, 2006 from Franche-Comté

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am

Drag-n-drop function exist also on 6050 Ultimate Channel Strip _
MacPro 2 X 3.06 GHz, D.P. 9.51 & Kontakt 5.8 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Clavier CamelSpace & CamelPhatt _ Alchemy & Explorer Loïc Le Pape
http://www.loiclepapesteelguitars.com/s ... ?article24

Return to “Effects”