Which touchscreen tablet?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve got a iPad Pro and like the interactabiliy of using a touchscreen to control a soft synth, but missing being able to do this with my Mac soft synths and so am wondering if I should get a windows tablet and install my daws and synths on there.
Any recommendations? Is the surface pro the best option?

(P.S. tried using logic remote on the iPad but you can’t visually see the synth you want to control, also tried the duet app to link my iPad to my Mac but it was a rubbish laggy experience, also looked up lemur templates but there there aren’t any apart from some for rob papens synths)

Which DAW? Which soft synths? What do you like about the iPad experience?
Most plugins are made to be controlled by mouse/keyboard. If all you want is replacing the mouse cursor with (a) finger(s)... go for it!

Yes just using a finger/pencil instead of a mouse is basically what I like using the iPad for.

Multiple synths, but mostly Dune 3, Spire, Omnisphere. I use Logic on the Mac but would use Reason 10 on Windows.

I tried a few and ended up going with a dell xps 15’ 2-in-1 (9575 model). I like having it as a normal laptop most of the time but the pen use is cool. I also like that the ssd is upgradeable so I went to 2tb ssd inside.

I use bitwig which has some great touch gestures, although the touch functionality isn’t totally complete.

Are you meaning a full Windows machine, only with a touch-ready display?

@ Echoes in the Attic: How are you finding the response of the Dell? And what audio interface are you using?
Fernando (FMR)

Surface pro is the best windows option. It may be expensive but other tablets are worse. Tried Dell tablet, it was terrible. Terrible screen, terrible design. But remember, you cannot upgrade memory in surface pro. Everything inside it is soldered.

I've been using a Surface Pro for 3.5 years and it's been fantastic. Highly recommend it. Before that, I was all over the iPad for music. Honestly, though, you won't feel nearly the same sense of touch control as the iPad. Most DAWS and synths are not designed for touch. Many have small buttons. I end up mostly using the trackpad. On the other hand, since getting the Surface Pro, I really don't use my iPad anymore.

I did initially start out using Stagelight DAW as it was one of the few made with touch in mind. It was great for the time I used it, but eventually I started running into limitations.

One day I'll need to replace the Surface. Been thinking through what may make sense for me. The Pro are more expensive but I really like their form factor and the tear off keyboard attachment. Microsoft have done a really nice job with it. I have 256GB and that isn't quite enough, but the 512 version is a big jump in price. The Pro's also have only a single USB port. If you want to use multiple keyboards/equipment you will need to get a hub.

Let us know what you decide. I'm open to look at something else when I decide to upgrade.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”