What‘s the future of iZotope Instruments / Creative Suite ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
martinjuenke
KVRAF
3292 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:11 pm

iZotope Ozone, Neutron, RX, Nectar are regularly updated and among the top of their league.
But what‘s up with their instruments (Iris, BreakTweaker) and creative effects (Trash, StutterEdit, VocalSynth...)? Will they be abandoned or upgraded? Shall we buy them or rather ignore them? Opinions? :scared:

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

andrew71
KVRist
469 posts since 16 Jun, 2003

Re: What‘s the future of iZotope Instruments / Creative Suite ?

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Vocalsynth had a v2 release a few months ago, didn't it? I've seen Iris mentioned as being abandoned, but they seem to be pushing out new versions of their products on a regular basis still.

onerob
KVRist
279 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I found Stutter Edit was failing to validate properly in Logic, so I emailed support and they sent me a link to an updated build that fixes the problem. So there's at least a little life-support going on, even if no major development looks likely.

Arrested Developer
KVRian
642 posts since 8 Apr, 2012

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Breaktweaker is abandoned.
Iris 2 is probably abandoned.
Stutter Edit is probably abandoned.

It's a pity they gave up Breaktweaker...they could have made a great version 2...

nachenko
KVRist
176 posts since 13 Mar, 2018

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Considering the update pace and investment in advertising they're doing in Neutron, Ozone, RX... I'd say the mixing and mastering tools are the ones that are returning most profit, and that's where they're putting most of their resources.

Steve Bolivar
KVRian
507 posts since 25 Aug, 2006

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 am

A few month back iZotope sent out an email survey asking what current users of Trash2 would like to see in terms of improvements and new features. Hopefully there's a Trash3.

Definitely think they could really transform BreakTweaker with a v2: add per lane effects, more lanes, acoustic drum sets. Market it more as a funky polyrhythm X0X style machine.

ubailey
KVRist
68 posts since 4 Apr, 2017

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 pm

I can't believe they abandoned iris 2. I just purchased this synth on sale, and i cant believe the sounds that come out of it. Made me put down every other synth i have including (dune, 2 and 3, electrax, sm2, xpand2, etc). I have only gone through a handful of presets and samples out of the 11gb library they have, because almost every preset i come across is virtually usable. Best synth i have ever had personally.
DoomTune.com

Examigan
KVRAF
4729 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:43 pm

ubailey wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 pm
I can't believe they abandoned iris 2. I just purchased this synth on sale, and i cant believe the sounds that come out of it. Made me put down every other synth i have including (dune, 2 and 3, electrax, sm2, xpand2, etc). I have only gone through a handful of presets and samples out of the 11gb library they have, because almost every preset i come across is virtually usable. Best synth i have ever had personally.
It's a cool synth, but I know some people here on KVR have found bugs in it that weren't addressed:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=425374&start=1005

:?

ubailey
KVRist
68 posts since 4 Apr, 2017

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Examigan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:43 pm
ubailey wrote:
It's a cool synth, but I know some people here on KVR have found bugs in it that weren't addressed:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=425374&start=1005

:?
In that case it’s cool because I got that and trash 2 for $50 instead of $350 and given the bugs I still love it
DoomTune.com

Examigan
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:37 am

Yes I like it too, but it would still be much better if they would just update it here and there.

Aloysius
KVRAF
23210 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from a computer

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 am

All abandoned.
Broccoli is murder.

Examigan
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:49 am

Aloysius wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 am

All abandoned.
I just looked up the update revision history for Iris 2. It only had two updates (according to KVR, up to 2.01 then 2.02) and that last one was back in 2015.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2611 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 am

Yes, its a real shame. A version 2 of Breaktweaker could have been really good, but they couldn't seem to wait to ditch the thing - the shrink wrapping was barely off before they threw it in the bin. Yes it had serious problems but... maybe fix the problems rather than junking it?

It feels like their time, care and attention goes 50% to restoration, 47% to mastering and effects, 3% to instruments.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

beatmangler443
KVRist
379 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Post Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Here's an interview with their product manager-https://www.brynneragassi.com/izotope

Their product manager hints at more stuff for mixing and mastering. But he also say they will come out with stuff that has to do with other aspects of the creative process that they haven't covered. You got mixing/mastering. So more production/songwriting tools?

I think it makes sense that they are focusing on what's making them profit. NI are focused on Kontakt and Reatkor. Anyway, I bought the creative suite and production bundle and their stuff is amazing.

AdvancedFollower
KVRist
281 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 am

ubailey wrote:
I also purchased Iris 2 together with Trash 2 recently for only $49 (80% off). That they were so cheap kind of makes me feel they are indeed abandoned. Kind of the same thing Air and Sonivox are doing with their old plugins, almost giving them away. Of course the other possibility is that Iris 3 is just around the corner and they want to get everybody on the (paid) upgrade train, but that seems doubtful.

For that price however, Iris 2 is great. That sample library alone is worth $49, and the synthesis engine is interesting and different from all the virtual analog and wavetable synths out there.

Return to “Instruments”