Import a melody midi file and use the Rhythm to generate a new melody?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is this possible in the new 3.62? if not would be a great addition.

Yes, that is possible. It is possible to convert any phrase to a phrase generator, which means the rhythm remains, the phrase generator will use the existing rhythm to create new notes. E.g. you can convert an existing melody to a Melody Generator, or Random Melody Generator.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote: ↑Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:23 pm Yes, that is possible. It is possible to convert any phrase to a phrase generator, which means the rhythm remains, the phrase generator will use the existing rhythm to create new notes. E.g. you can convert an existing melody to a Melody Generator, or Random Melody Generator.

Thanks,
Attila
wow. WOW!

This is such a powerful feature/idea! Did I just miss this somewhere in the features list, or in the tuts/wiki? Seems like it's one of RC's top superpowers…

Fantastic, thanks so much! And for the link to Dancemidisamples (in the YT comments), looks like great stuff.

Two questions:
You created three melody tracks, but kept the first muted and unconverted. Just in case, for trying out with some other Gen later, or some other reason?

Do the DMS and other MIDI-file progressions need to be saved out as .rcCHPR files one at a time or is there a way to do batches?
EDIT: Found this:
viewtopic.php?f=168&t=401024&p=6457038& ... n#p6457038

Thanks once again; your generosity is SO appreciated, esp. now that I know just enough about RC so I can actually sort of follow along on your most basic videos:)

glad you liked!
keeping first one is just in case if i want to create one more example while recording the video .. so nothing special..

about DMS chord progressions as i know there is no batch process solution i imported them one by one.. :)

Got it, thank you, makes sense:)

In that other thread on importing MIDI chords linked to above, your description seems very much based on using Reaper and other plugins that are either gone or PC only; it's very interesting but all a bit over my head as I'm not clear exactly what you're concerned about when importing and using these other plugins to fix—I assume you're going for maximum flexibility, and avoiding…what?

Could you comment on, or link to, the most basic issues when importing chord progression as MIDI files for saving as RC progression? Whenever:)

importing midi has two stages in my case
1-(not related to import to RC)
i always tag scale&root in the names of my progression midi files
this makes things easy for example when i want to use them directly in the DAW (Reaper)
with the midi plugins e.g. arpeggios, Nora etc. & instruments that has chord recognition such as NI Strum Guitar to create back tracks easily..
for the tagging so finding the root and scale i was using Reaper Scale Finder & insertpizhere midi Analyzer..
lately i purchased Scaler
https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/3933

and it does both job .. finds the scales+root & also shows the chord names..

2-on importing to RC
in this stage actually you do not need to extra plugins just importing the progression midi as regular midi import does the job done
%90 of the times..
as i tried to say in that post i am a bit control freak about the progressions i import ..
especially the DMS String Editions .. because they have borrowed chords and other chord types (variations?)
like 7sus2, min6, 5 b7, min no5 ... etc. and i want them as they are as possible ..
so for example if the chord just "D 5" i don't want them to become a triad .. i hope make sense.
and that plugins i am using let me double check while importing this progression packages .. nothing special..
so its totally up to you using or not using that kind extra plugins..

summerize..
concern: import progressions as they are as possible!
avoid: to include the chords that not in the progression .. as in the example above if there is only two note in the current chord
(5) do not let them become a triad :)

let me know if i miss anything!

Excellent info, very helpful, as per usual:)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”