BITWIG STUDIO 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh yes, parameter snapshots A/B buttons!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 am Oh yes, parameter snapshots A/B buttons!
1. Add an FX Selector or Instrument Selector or Note Selector to your insert channel as appropriate.

2. Drag your device or VST into the Selector device.

3. Dupe your Selector chain and make the desired parameter changes to the duped chain.

4. A/B compare chain 1 vs chain 2 by toggling the Selector index.

You have a LOT more than just an A/B compare with Selector devices. You could have 3-to-many different variations of the same device/VST all with slightly different parameters. For that matter, you could have many different combinations of *multiple* devices/VSTs, all with different parameters.

As I mentioned in another place, I'm pretty certain that the Bitwig devs designed the three Selector devices to BE the way we're intended to do "parameter snapshots". The devices are very powerful and can be used for many use cases beyond simple parameter snapshots.

Hm, thanks for this idea. I will try that. But I more mean it like quick storing the current plugin settings while sound shaping, and maybe later quickly revert to older settings if the shaping gone wrong direction. Or for a later decision. Benefit is that I only edit within one plugin, and it stays simple.

Would be cool if there was a shortcut like "copy device setting into a selector slot", including auto creation of the selector container, keeping the current, too, etc.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 pm Hm, thanks for this idea. I will try that. But I more mean it like quick storing the current plugin settings while sound shaping, and maybe later quickly revert to older settings if the shaping gone wrong direction. Or for a later decision. Benefit is that I only edit within one plugin, and it stays simple.

Would be cool if there was a shortcut like "copy device setting into a selector slot", including auto creation of the selector container, keeping the current, too, etc.
Thing is, making that type of global change to the roughly 50 devices they have so far would be.... a prodigious amount of work. Not so much for writing the basic functions, but it would require an overhaul of every single device UI, which are already very tight and small.

In short, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for "parameter A/B snapshots". I'm pretty sure in typical Bitwig fashion, they gave us a simple way to do that for ourselves, plus a lot more (i.e., the three "Selector" devices). The Bitwig design philosophy is NOT about cramming redundant (duplicate) functionality into every single device. Instead, it's about creating modular ways for us to string together the functionality we need.

Yokai wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 am Oh yes, parameter snapshots A/B buttons!
1. Add an FX Selector or Instrument Selector or Note Selector to your insert channel as appropriate.

3. Dupe your Selector chain and make the desired parameter changes to the duped chain.

You have a LOT more than just an A/B compare with Selector devices. You could have 3-to-many different variations of the same device/VST all with slightly different parameters. For that matter, you could have many different combinations of *multiple* devices/VSTs, all with different parameters.

As I mentioned in another place, I'm pretty certain that the Bitwig devs designed the three Selector devices to BE the way we're intended to do "parameter snapshots". The devices are very powerful and can be used for many use cases beyond simple parameter snapshots.
I’m talking about global snapshots. Not just devices but send levels, mutes, track levels and everything. And that can be both set and recalled on the fly. Like Maschine.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm

I’m talking about global snapshots. Not just devices but send levels, mutes, track levels and everything. And that can be both set and recalled on the fly. Like Maschine.
Sure, that's a fair ask. Sorry for the confusion, but a "global snapshot" is quite a bit different from a "parameter snapshot" :wink:

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm I’m talking about global snapshots. Not just devices but send levels, mutes, track levels and everything. And that can be both set and recalled on the fly. Like Maschine.
This!

stamp wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:41 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm I’m talking about global snapshots. Not just devices but send levels, mutes, track levels and everything. And that can be both set and recalled on the fly. Like Maschine.
This!
Do it with the good old fashioned save as... Saves my ass since 1984...
But thinking of it, if Bitwig could keep automatically some versions, that would be cool, then you just save and if you don‘t like it, go back...

Yokai wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:45 pm [Thing is, making that type of global change to the roughly 50 devices they have so far would be.... a prodigious amount of work.
I don't think that this is the case in a object-oriented structure, only the device-container needs then an addition (assuming bitwig internal use some kind of preset standard, too).

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:48 pm Do it with the good old fashioned save as... Saves my ass since 1984...
But thinking of it, if Bitwig could keep automatically some versions, that would be cool, then you just save and if you don‘t like it, go back...
Haha... I get your point but I was thinking more about the implications of having mixer snapshots for live perfomance.

The initial announcement is just short of 2 months old... are we there yet?

stamp wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:16 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:48 pm Do it with the good old fashioned save as... Saves my ass since 1984...
Haha... I get your point but I was thinking more about the implications of having mixer snapshots for live perfomance.
I know what you mean. I have started learning reaper recently...it allows for snapshots, which include mixer levels/sends/pan all fx params...basically the whole lot. Then you can put objects on the timeline with shortcuts so that you can sequence the snapshots. it is not 100% perfect, but it is very damn good.

Maschine has 'parameter lock' which is actually really nice, though i see no way of sequencing it internally.

Does anyone know when BW3 beta is going to be out? I am getting itchy fingers. My push is getting itchy buttons, too

DavidCarlyon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 pm Does anyone know when BW3 beta is going to be out? I am getting itchy fingers. My push is getting itchy buttons, too
Should be soon... 2.5 is out, though maybe they want to do a 2.5.1 bug fix first. In other words, I have no idea.

Like Clyphx "snap devall mix" action .
That would be so good.

Yokai wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:48 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Sure, that's a fair ask. Sorry for the confusion, but a "global snapshot" is quite a bit different from a "parameter snapshot" :wink:
It's a global parameter snapshot, so I don't know how it's different.

Return to “Bitwig”