AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the feedback again DJ Warmonger. I'm prob. going with an MSI board as apparently you can overclock them nicely for boost performance on AMD chips, not that im an expert or that i'd even do that necessarily but nice to have the option.

Came across this article on reddit, thought i'd post the link as it may be pertinent (if true).

https://www.legitreviews.com/codepath-c ... lab_215641

Think I'm gonna either wait it out for the B550 motherboards to be released , or get one of the MSI X470 Max mobos or Asus Prime x470 pro mobo , seeing those boards don't need a Bios update for Ryzen 3000 . I'm kind of thinking I'm out on the x570 chipset fan mobos .. really wish I knew when the b550 mobos are gonna drop . I think in the meantime I'm gonna order a Samsung 860evo 1tb SSD and 12gb ddr3 for my i7 920 ... I'm really itching to build but I'm just having some hangups ... I'm definitely gonna get the 3700x mugen5 heatsink , rx590 gpu , and 32gb 3600 amd ram is the plan it's just the mobos that are out has got me scratching my head . It used to be if you were doing audio u just go Gigabyte Mobo and Intel . There so big a choice for mobos now .

I have an ASRock, it is very good.

While the audio nerd world awaits some dawbench scores for the 3950x with better matched memory timings along with the new Threadrippers it seems AMD is having trouble getting these on the shelves. Short supply is going to lead to price gouging. My goal was to order the parts in December and do a build in January provided the Ryzens showed improved dawbench scores with appropriate memory speeds. Looks like I'll be waiting a while longer.
Last edited by Scotty on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm kind of got my build on the back burner . Waiting for the next chipset motherboard and also the AMD 5500xt gpu cards (dec12th) ? I can't seem to pull the trigger on it yet with the sea of mobos and bios and ram compatibilities . When I built my last system it didn't seem so hard to do . i7 920 get the Gigabyte Mobo with this chipset and Ti FW port on it 3 hdds piece of cake . Right now I'm looking at the MSI x570 that are about $239 they have a bunch of USB ports USB-C , Bluetooth , wifi ... But I'm like chipset fan meh ... Expensive meh ... And then I'm torn between the 3600 or the 3700x(leaning ) I know I want to do some gaming to . Then I get like maybe I'll be cheap and go with a 3200g and 450mobo . Just so much available stuff now .

if you go for a not so pricey solution the 3d gen amd 3700x boxed is the way to go. 65watt instead of 105watt btw.

for mainboards my sources of information has some good arguments for the follwing boards, unless you won´t spend a ton of money:

- msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac .
cheapest solution, reliable for 3d gens AFTER bios update (minor issue seems to be a bios downgrading into a sort of lite bios with less option. if you dont plan to overclock then its no issue at all)
- asrock x470 taichi.
jack of all trades board for the money
- gigabyte x570 aorus elite
you may go for the asus x570 plus tuf gaming at the same pricerange, if u need wifi, and dont care about bios updating it yourself)
best value for the pricepoint. easy bios updating possible. no wifi (but theres one with wifi out there)

thx to buildzoid and computerbase for the infos.

https://youtu.be/zuyuS04lD4o

you sure may wait for the next few ryzens for they will for sure hammering the intels in evry aspect or rendering the price differences from intel for the last few aspects as absolutely not worth it.

I am holding off, there were some CPU / ASIO performance bottlenecks at low latency with the Ryzen' topping out a bit sooner than their Intel counterparts (asio at low latency and heavy cpu load) that may be mitigated with faster ram and I am hoping someone would do some testing. I have to factor that in along with Thunderbolt availability and my typical workflow situation.

I'm waiting for my 3950x, will be running with 3600MHz RAM CAS 17. Each day the supplier changes the delivery date.... I did order at the 25th of Nov at exactly one minute past release time.....
It's out of stock everywhere except one store pushing it for 1100 euros..

That's a beast of a cpu ... 3950x can't wait to see the DAWbench on it .

cnt wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 am I'm waiting for my 3950x, will be running with 3600MHz RAM CAS 17. Each day the supplier changes the delivery date.... I did order at the 25th of Nov at exactly one minute past release time.....
It's out of stock everywhere except one store pushing it for 1100 euros..
cnt ... do you mind me asking where you sourced your 3600MHz RAM CAS 17 and what motherboard you settled on for your 3950x (whenever it is available?) I am also looking at this configuration.

damit...so is a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 any good for music production?

mguerrero90 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:55 am damit...so is a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 any good for music production?
Well, you get just what benchmarks say.

You should be fine if you only work at 44100 sampling rate.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:35 pm You should be fine if you only work at 44100 sampling rate.
I should be able to do that, can you link me to anything, or explain what happens otherwise, I cant seem to find it in this thread.

mguerrero90 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:35 pm You should be fine if you only work at 44100 sampling rate.
I should be able to do that, can you link me to anything, or explain what happens otherwise, I cant seem to find it in this thread.
Depends on what plugins you use. I have the 1500X and run quite a number of plugins if necessary, enough for a dozen synth tracks. And my DAW doesn't even have a freeze feature.
In terms of audio, I use 48k in my DAW and 128 samples in my audio driver.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:56 pm
mguerrero90 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm
Depends on what plugins you use. I have the 1500X and run quite a number of plugins if necessary, enough for a dozen synth tracks. And my DAW doesn't even have a freeze feature.
In terms of audio, I use 48k in my DAW and 128 samples in my audio driver.
Well ive been making music for quite a while, I will most likely push this system to its limit, no matter what it is, if at least for fun.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”