Best granular VST ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Digivolt
KVRist
250 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 am

Just wondering what are the better options for adding a granular synth to the toolbox

SoundPorn
KVRist
487 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:15 am

Ribs
Polygas
Polygon
Biotech2

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
40686 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:17 am

ribs
crusherx

User avatar
Ranoka
KVRist
190 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from The UK

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am

Quanta
Kaivo
Granulizer 2
The Mangle (abandoned by the dev?)

chk071
KVRAF
18579 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:29 am

I only have Padshop Pro from Steinberg. It's nice though, really easy to use, and fast results.

User avatar
egbert101
KVRAF
2290 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:42 am

Obviously Native Instrument Absynth 5. If you want something a little more high quality, then check out MeldaProduction MGranularMB as an effect you can use on any source, whether sample or synth.
<list all your stupid gear here>

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
14601 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am

The Mangle - Best of the bunch but abandoned by dev. No ? needed. Buy at your own risk.

Padshop Pro - Not as good but decent enough and you know Steinberg isn't going anywhere.

The rest have relatively limited functionality as far as granular synthesis goes if your talking strictly synths. There are some FX that are excellent but they're not synths.

enCiphered
KVRist
149 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am

The best granular vst plugin is without any doubt Crusher-X. Nothing comes even close to it.
But it is not musical at all. It is made for crazy sound designers and sound manglers

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
14601 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

enCiphered wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am
The best granular vst plugin is without any doubt Crusher-X. Nothing comes even close to it.
But it is not musical at all. It is made for crazy sound designers and sound manglers
Does Crusher-X still have the problem of not working in some versions of Cubase? When I downloaded the demo it didn't work (no GUI) and this was a confirmed bug. I'm just wondering if they ever fixed it.

Also, isn't it still an FX insert?

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
40686 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am

wagtunes wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am
enCiphered wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am
The best granular vst plugin is without any doubt Crusher-X. Nothing comes even close to it.
But it is not musical at all. It is made for crazy sound designers and sound manglers
Does Crusher-X still have the problem of not working in some versions of Cubase? When I downloaded the demo it didn't work (no GUI) and this was a confirmed bug. I'm just wondering if they ever fixed it.

Also, isn't it still an FX insert?
i only ever used it standalone, as an entire studio :love:
sadly the update costs get out of hand with it, expensive and complicated at first, but stick with it and it is the monster granular synth.
seriously, its that good.
but, as a synth? might be overkill :shrug:
but, you want to turn a single breath in to a sonic masterpiece? then crusherx :hail:

enCiphered
KVRist
149 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:45 am

I´ve never had any issues with it in Cubase. Working with Crusher-X right now in Cubase 10, everything runs smooth.
Yes, its an effect, thank God..!

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3098 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

Does Crusher-X still have the problem of not working in some versions of Cubase? When I downloaded the demo it didn't work (no GUI) and this was a confirmed bug. I'm just wondering if they ever fixed it.

Also, isn't it still an FX insert?
crusher-X is inserted as an effect indeed, but can be used as a synth too by importing audio and using the internal keyboard. So it's a monster granular hybrid, it's both at the same time.

And Iagree too, probably the best outhere. Very, very deep and powerful.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3098 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:30 pm

I think Quanta is also very underestimated. I myself did that mistake by sobbing it and when I finally tried it, I was blown away by the power of the granular engine and its high quality sound.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
40686 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Neon Breath wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 am

Does Crusher-X still have the problem of not working in some versions of Cubase? When I downloaded the demo it didn't work (no GUI) and this was a confirmed bug. I'm just wondering if they ever fixed it.

Also, isn't it still an FX insert?
crusher-X is inserted as an effect indeed, but can be used as a synth too by importing audio and using the internal keyboard. So it's a monster granular hybrid, it's both at the same time.

And Iagree too, probably the best outhere. Very, very deep and powerful.
well it has audio in, so can be used as a sampler for grains :)
at least that's how i used it stand alone :)

Kongru
KVRist
223 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Re: Best granular VST ?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Top votes from me are:

Grain if you have Reason
Padshop for pads
Granite for everything else

Return to “Instruments”