apqualizr2 v 2.2.2

Official support for: www.apulsoft.ch
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's awesome. Thank you! We'll keep a keen eye for updates :)

Hmm I still cannot reproduce. I'll now update my cubase to 10.5.20.. maybe that'll make the problem happen.

I created a new project (96kHz), created a stereo track with some audio, inserted an apQualizr2, set up the bands as you wrote, the stored the project, closed Cubase, restarted and reopened the project on Windows10 using apQualizr2 v2.2.4. Everything seems fine. Filters sound the same and the the graph looks the same and the values at the bottom read the same? Do all three change for you? Do you do anything with automation?

Or to make this simpler.. could you maybe just email me a project that doesn't load correctly?

Hmm I didn't realize 10.5 was a paid upgrade :(. So now I'm on 10.0.60, but still cannot recreate this problem.

After reloading the plugin looks like this and sounds correct. What am I doing "wrong" ?

D'oh no images :(.. here's a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdnhsezv5do8d ... 20apq2.PNG

Ah never mind now it did happen. Interesting.. not sure why it's now different.

My values jumped slightly differently to:
247 2907 12825 25139

maybe caused by 96kHz vs 88kHz..

Anyway now I have something to work with. thanks. expect a solution soon.

Found the issue and it for sure it is weird. apQualizr2 tries to adapt to different sampling rates by allowing different max filter frequencies. So the max freq is determined when the plugin is initialized. It looks like during project loads, Cubase initializes the plugin multiple times. At the same times it appears to fetch and restore parameter values.. although the information would be correctly stored in the plugin state. So it appears to first load the plugin at 44.1kHz, fetch the parameters, re-init the plug at 96kHz twice and then restore those param values leading to different frequencies.. All this for no imaginable reason and also only if the plugin is on a stereo track. How weird is this? The problem goes away if I fix the upper frequency limit, but I'm not sure what value to use.

It seems to be a problem in the VST3 wrapper of the JUCE library I'm using. I brought it up in the forum.

https://forum.juce.com/t/preparetoplay-in-vst3/16777/3

I was wondering if your plugin was built on JUCE :) Since the JUCE library is open source- are you able to edit things out, re-compile JUCE, then compile your plugin?

Yes of course, but if I change the initialization steps, bad things might happen. Right now I feel the first 44.1k initialization call is useless, but it is probably there for a reason and debugging across many hosts is a major annoyance. So I'm hoping someone else has worked this out already. If not I can still make the parameter range not sample-rate dependent which I already know fixes this issue.

The whole thing probably means a number of other plugins built with JUCE have similar issues btw. Ideally I get the JUCE team to fix this, then everybody wins.

I now can confirm the issue exists on Cubase Mac as well. I also have an idea how to fix it without changing JUCE. The startup sequence is still suboptimal, but I believe if I send another notification to Cubase when the Sampling Rate changes, things should work correctly. Once I got it, I'll post a test build here to verify things are fixed.

Here's a log of what happens when a project is loaded.. quite a lot. As you can see Cubase gets and sets parameters many times. Unfortunately it reads the value before the SR changes and then writes it back afterwards (0.575188). I hope to make it re-read the param after the switch and that should fix this problem. On the mac it also happens on mono tracks btw. It is extremely odd that the mono tracks work correctly on windows :o

Code: Select all

PrepareToProcess SampleRate 44100 samplesPerBlock: 1024 numInCh: 2 out: 2
Setting max FREQ to 30000
host getValue freq res: 0.575188
host setValue freq new normalized value: 0.575188
host getValue freq res: 0.575188
PrepareToProcess SampleRate 96000 samplesPerBlock: 1024 numInCh: 2 out: 2
Setting max FREQ to 52800
PrepareToProcess SampleRate 96000 samplesPerBlock: 1024 numInCh: 2 out: 2
Setting max FREQ to 52800
prchg host setValue freq new normalized value: 0.575188
prchg host setValue freq new normalized value: 0.575188

Can you check if this v2.2.5 build fixes the issue for you? I hope 64-bit only is ok.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36fag8yhj6eda ... x.zip?dl=0

Thank you. I will check it out and report. Yes, 64bit if perfect for me. Thank you!

Works like a charm! Thank you so much for such a speedy fix. 😃

BTW, is the email through your website valid? If I send you a private msg, will you get it?

Return to “apulSoft”