Behringer Crave

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:43 pm Is there another reason to buy one?
Depends on your GAS levels :hihi:
tehlord wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:17 pm Yeah I've pre-ordered one and a Pro-1. I don't actually know if I'll get one of the first batch, I'm sure Thomann have more orders than units..
I keep getting drawn towards the Deepmind 12D and that new HydraSynth that's coming soon too so I dunno what I want as my first proper synth to go with my xoxbox

vurt wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 pm
for me personally, a few additional bits for the modular, without my bank manager even noticing.

Hi.

This is your bank manager.

Please come in and see me first thing Monday morning!

:party:

Ok, I really get it now.

Before they were advertised at like 200 euros, now they are like 150!

Out of stock of course.

:cry:

Why on Earth would anyone be interested in this when they could have an Uno Synth for half the price or less? Uno has two oscillators with morphable waveforms, a better filter with more modes and, most importantly, patch memory so you can store your sounds. OK, Crave's arp has 32 steps but there are no parameter locks or anything, it is uber-basic. This thing seems like the answer to a question no-one was asking, with a hefty price tag attached.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:50 am Why on Earth would anyone be interested in this when they could have an Uno Synth for half the price or less?
You don't appreciate the patching connectivity and what that brings, it seems?

Another comment you compared Neutron to Volca in similar - all about price.
The massive patch bay on Neutron has no value to you. I haven't had so much fun in years exploring Neutron - still do use it for effects.

Yet, I think Crave's one oscillator is a bit limiting - but as I recall there is a audio input as well - feeding from other source.

So One "Why...." from me.....

It's always out of stock, no wonder they called it 'Crave.' Seems vaporware.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:50 am Why on Earth would anyone be interested in this when they could have an Uno Synth for half the price or less? Uno has two oscillators with morphable waveforms, a better filter with more modes and, most importantly, patch memory so you can store your sounds. OK, Crave's arp has 32 steps but there are no parameter locks or anything, it is uber-basic. This thing seems like the answer to a question no-one was asking, with a hefty price tag attached.
Why on earth would someone want a competitor with a Moog Mother 32 for 1/3 the price? Hmmm....can't imagine why.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

So because something else is even more ridiculously expensive, that makes it OK for this to be less ridiculously expensive? Sorry, I'm not seeing the logic here at all. Maybe if it sounded better but it actually sounds measurably worse than Uno, as I'm sure the Moog Mother does, too. And, for the record, the Crave is actually two-thirds the price of Mother 32 - Au$649 v Au$949 - with Uno sitting at Au$329 (half the price of Crave, one-third the price of the Moog).
lfm wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:32 amYou don't appreciate the patching connectivity and what that brings, it seems?
With just a single oscillator there is not that much to appreciate.
With Uno it's about the sound. Uno sounds amazing. It's big and thick and full of life. If it was $500 I'd still want one. The fact that it's $200 is just the icing on the cake.
The massive patch bay on Neutron has no value to you.
None at all. In fact, to me it's a disadvantage, a further reason not to buy it.
I haven't had so much fun in years exploring Neutron - still do use it for effects.
Then you should try a synth with a mod matrix. All the fun of a patch bay with instant recall of all your hard work.
Yet, I think Crave's one oscillator is a bit limiting - but as I recall there is a audio input as well - feeding from other source.
I think all the hardware synths I own have that but I can't think of a single reason I'd want to use it. It seems like the stupidest idea ever to me.
Because Uno sounds amazing, because it's cheap and also because it's ridiculously portable. I think Uno is the most underrated synth going around. I've listened to a few Crave demos and I don't think it sounds nearly as good. Here, for example, you can clearly hear how the ladder filter sucks the bottom end out of a bassline as the resonance is turned up - https://youtu.be/InkQPk5jU3Y?t=20
... and here you can hear the bass come flooding back in when the resonance is turned down again - https://youtu.be/InkQPk5jU3Y?t=306 That won't happen with Uno because the resonance in Uno's filter does the job it is supposed to do.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

excuse me please wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 am It's always out of stock, no wonder they called it 'Crave.' Seems vaporware.
NEWSFLASH! NEWSFLASH! NEWSFLASH!

New synth by Behringer called CRACK ADDICTION, repeat CRACK ADDICTION.

Hurry now while stocks last. Limited edition! Only 3 ever made!

Available throughout the country.

IN STOCK!

Hurry - only ONE left!

Order now to make sure you don't miss out!

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:56 am So because something else is even more ridiculously expensive, that makes it OK for this to be less ridiculously expensive? Sorry, I'm not seeing the logic here at all. Maybe if it sounded better but it actually sounds measurably worse than Uno, as I'm sure the Moog Mother does, too. And, for the record, the Crave is actually two-thirds the price of Mother 32 - Au$649 v Au$949 - with Uno sitting at Au$329 (half the price of Crave, one-third the price of the Moog).
lfm wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:32 amYou don't appreciate the patching connectivity and what that brings, it seems?
With just a single oscillator there is not that much to appreciate.
With Uno it's about the sound. Uno sounds amazing. It's big and thick and full of life. If it was $500 I'd still want one. The fact that it's $200 is just the icing on the cake.
The massive patch bay on Neutron has no value to you.
None at all. In fact, to me it's a disadvantage, a further reason not to buy it.
I haven't had so much fun in years exploring Neutron - still do use it for effects.
Then you should try a synth with a mod matrix. All the fun of a patch bay with instant recall of all your hard work.
I think all the hardware synths I own have that but I can't think of a single reason I'd want to use it. It seems like the stupidest idea ever to me.
Because Uno sounds amazing, because it's cheap and also because it's ridiculously portable. I think Uno is the most underrated synth going around. I've listened to a few Crave demos and I don't think it sounds nearly as good. Here, for example, you can clearly hear how the ladder filter sucks the bottom end out of a bassline as the resonance is turned up - https://youtu.be/InkQPk5jU3Y?t=20
... and here you can hear the bass come flooding back in when the resonance is turned down again - https://youtu.be/InkQPk5jU3Y?t=306 That won't happen with Uno because the resonance in Uno's filter does the job it is supposed to do.
Sorry you live in Australia. For the rest of us it looks like it is coming in at $150-200. Sounds like it might not be the right fit for you but that is what makes having so many options so enjoyable for most of us. We can all have different opinions. Enjoy your Uno and I can honestly say I look forward to hearing your music you make with it. Please post up some links I am always looking for new and unique music.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Yeah, don't be. The average wage is around Au$80,000 so our buying power here is probably better than most places (although it's nearly 20 years since I was earning that much). In any event, even if it was half the price of Uno, it still wouldn't sound any good so I wouldn't be buying one anyway. In fact, you couldn't give me something that sounds as ordinary as Crave does, especially with all its other limitations.

You'll never hear any music I make with Uno unless you come to see us live. VSTi are so far ahead of hardware synths, we couldn't even contemplate using hardware in production. They are fun to play with and look good on stage, which is enough to justify the purchase and the time spent working with them. Mostly a synth like Uno inspires my writing because it encourages me to play around more than I would with software. Ultimately I see them as different tools with different roles.

Yeah, don't be. The average wage is around Au$80,000 so our buying power here is probably better than most places
That's how much 3,5% of people in Poland earn :help: . These are high wages even for a software engineer.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:37 am
You'll never hear any music I make with Uno unless you come to see us live. VSTi are so far ahead of hardware synths, we couldn't even contemplate using hardware in production.
so it's not good enough to record, but good enough to use live....?

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:37 am They are fun to play with and look good on stage
which no one but you will see, unless you use an overhead cam and big screen

cant say i would like to try and play a tiny box like that on a dark smokey stage

Bones once again doing what he does best, thinking his world is the only world.

Crave in Oz: $949 vs $80,000 = 1.2%

In UK: £150 vs £35,000 = 0.4%

In Europe: €150 vs €22,000 = 0.7%

Uno in UK: £154 vs £35,000 = 0.4%

Uno in Europe: €175 vs €22,000 = 0.8%
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I am an UNO owner... I will buy a Crave if or when some good independent reviews appear. We are talking Korg Volca money for highly patch-able gear and one knob per function control. I do like the sound (as far as I can tell from videos but will demo in a store first once available) and the form factor. Also that sequencer is really well specified. If you can drive other analog synths with it that would greatly extend its versatility in the studio.

When I saw this I didn't for a second think that the Uno made this redundant. I thought "great sound" , "amazing price" and "what can I do with all those patch points".

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”