In the Metropolis ... ... my first try at [Synthwave] - feedback welcome ...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Bansaw
KVRist
447 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:43 pm

Always open to hearing a different angle from other music makers, so feedback welcome on arrangement, mixing etc.
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... metropolis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnIRPltpzug

wagtunes
KVRAF
14565 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: In the Metropolis ... ... my first try at [Synthwave] - feedback welcome ...

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 pm

My Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments - 9
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 8.5

Comments: I do like the way the arrangement morphs throughout but seriously needs a melody. I'm finding it's just not done around here. Not sure why but I must be a dinosaur.

layzer
KVRAF
6114 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: In the Metropolis ... ... my first try at [Synthwave] - feedback welcome ...

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 pm
seriously needs a melody. I'm finding it's just not done around here. Not sure why but I must be a dinosaur.
a good melody is like the plot in a story. with it missing, its just audio information...
much like a printed story vs printed data.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Frantz
KVRAF
4974 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 pm

I enjoyed it. There were enough catchy riffs to keep me engaged. Good stuff. :tu:

The mix had a bit too much reverb for my tastes.

wagtunes
KVRAF
14565 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 pm

layzer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 pm
seriously needs a melody. I'm finding it's just not done around here. Not sure why but I must be a dinosaur.
a good melody is like the plot in a story. with it missing, its just audio information...
much like a printed story vs printed data.
It's rampant in this forum. Nobody writes melodies. ARPs, atmospheric drones and chord progressions. That's pretty much all you get with very few exceptions.

Makes me wonder how many people even know how to WRITE a melody?

Ah but what am I saying. This is the age of, as Deadmau5 says, pushing a button and there's my track. I get such a kick out of that video.

layzer
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:04 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 pm
pushing a button and there's my track.
cut and paste, cut and paste..... :hihi:

an-electric-heart
KVRAF
1638 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Post Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 pm

It's cool, well done. :tu:

It is good how it is, nothing wrong with it as it stands, but personally I'd get a bit more high-end on that initial bass instrument. I feel the bass is a touch muffled (but that is alright for a bass), the "high-end" on that sort of bass sound is probably around 1-2k, and a bit of a boost in that neighbourhood would make the bass a bit punchier.

Bansaw
KVRist

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 am

an-electric-heart wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 pm
I feel the bass is a touch muffled (but that is alright for a bass), the "high-end" on that sort of bass sound is probably around 1-2k, and a bit of a boost in that neighbourhood would make the bass a bit punchier.
Thanks @electric. I know this is your genre (@Frantz too), so appreciate the input on the bass.

@Wagtunes... I think you've got a point actually. There is a melody that comes in around 2m30, but its not dwelled on and should be introduced earlier. I was going for a rhythmic/percussive and other types of hook, but I think its correct to point out that the melody content is not as it should be.

seangm
KVRist
50 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:10 am

Nice big sound, I would like to learn to produce with a sound like that. Like the retro vibe also, nice track.

biodiode
KVRist
446 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from UK

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Nice track Bansaw but I have to agree with the comments from wagtunes and layzer, it just needs a good melody. Some blistering synth solo playing a Vangelis type synth patch and you would have a really cracker on your hands. That aside, for what you have it sounds really nice and well mixed - well on these laptop speakers it sounds good :).
Check out more of my work at https://www.biodiode.com where you will find tips, tricks on the blog and more of my compositions.

Bansaw
KVRist

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 pm

biodiode wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 pm
Nice track Bansaw but I have to agree with the comments from wagtunes and layzer, it just needs a good melody.
thanks @biodiode, yes, 2m30 is too late to bring in the melody as I concede to Wagtunes above.
Appreciate the encouragement.
@seangm - thanks for your comments on the mixing, - my mixing improved and I got a "bigger sound" after I learned about Parallel compression (New York compression).

Karma_tba
KVRian
815 posts since 12 Aug, 2004 from Boston, Massachusetts

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:20 pm

I don't profess to being any kind of expert …..but I know what I like and I like this track. Every piece of music does not have to conform to a template or established rules. I'd take some of the comments here with a grain of salt. If they want this or that let them put on their track and step off.

layzer
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm

i dont claim to be an expert on anything but an expert on what i like.
everyone has their own expectations and opinions on what is good and what
is not in music. one persons opinion is pretty much worthless....
this forum can be a useful "what is good and bad in music" barometer...
everything from producing, mixing, and composing WHEN you take
what people say in a collective way. ie; if several people that are
known to excel in a certain area of music tell you something
doesnt sound right, or it needs more this or less that,
maybe it should be taken into consideration.. and the more
people sharing the same opinion, the greater possibility it may be true..
in short, one opinion is crap, many can be useful. :idea:

Return to “Music Cafe”