unfinished business

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i'm forcing myself to render some stuff from last year. my mental state lately hasn't made it easy to finish stuff wholesomely. i'm just calling it quits and throwing some stuff out there.

https://soundcloud.com/skoshu/bah-blabla

more to come...

it's news to me that kvr f**king f**ks up swear word links...well i trust you can fill in the letters after having clicked the thread already.
Last edited by nasenmann on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I don't think anybody is going to go through the trouble of manually typing in links just to hear your music. Sorry, but that's the reality of this place. You could have kept the title of the song and then, in the upload screen, change the link name so that you wouldn't have this problem.

sigh...i changed the soundcloud name to 'funk' but the link stays f**k. idk how to do what you say, honestly.

you know what, i'll just post another one.

https://soundcloud.com/skoshu/skoshu-space

nasenmann wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:00 pm sigh...i changed the soundcloud name to 'funk' but the link stays f**k. idk how to do what you say, honestly.
Delete the track, reupload it and before you save it, click where it says edit and change the track link.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:42 pm
nasenmann wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:00 pm sigh...i changed the soundcloud name to 'funk' but the link stays f**k. idk how to do what you say, honestly.
Delete the track, reupload it and before you save it, click where it says edit and change the track link.
title wasn't important anyway, so there you go :)

My Feedback (first track)

Music - 6
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.75

Comments: Cool instrument sounds. Good mix. Musically, have no idea what to make of it. Track is more about performance and sounds than a musical idea. And that's fine. But I'd have to listen to this about 10,000 times to even come close to being able to hum even one part of it. And stuff like that doesn't normally interest me on a musical level. Like I said, this is all about performance and sounds, which are excellent.

bäh blabla:

pretty random... i prefer a little more order
this was rather "busy"

mixwise, it was fairly abrasive in the 3-5khz
freq's
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

i think it's abrasive too, but it would be ok if the whole thing gelled into a cohesive, complete song. when the steel drum part enters, i was just calling it quits; i think it's near perfect for what it is, before that. a complex over the top piece of mixing. nothing i'd be proud of compositionally, but cool instruments and mixing, as wag noted.

i really like the 2nd piece i posted for composition and feel, although this only concerns the first half or two thirds at best. had lots of little bits to carry it on further, but as it is now i just did a bit of rehash. but man, i like what's in there. was hoping to make a 10 minute song out of it, all consisting of proteus sounds.

Hi nasenmann. Nice chord progressions and you don't pound them into the dirt too excessively. Good funky feel and rhythms.

There is such a thing as trying too hard but it is hard to draw the line.

A silly idea about music or art in general, "optimum complexity". Each person has an optimum complexity which will maximally hold his attention. For some the optimum complexity is low and for others it is high. On mass population distribution forms a gaussian distribution, a bell curve.

So some listeners will enjoy such as Zappa's Black Page just right complexity and others dig on simple arrangements of simple songs.

There are enough listeners en masse even on the tail ends of the bell curve to support about any kind of music but if one would want to hit the middle of the bell curve there would be a certain tradeoff of simplicity vs complexity.

I think this is why the most successful rhythmically complex music tends to be harmonically and melodically simple. Or successful melodically complex music tends to be rhythmically simple, etc.

Throw everything up on the wall to see what sticks and some folks will find it optimally complex but they are the few the proud a couple standard deviations weirder than the mean. :)

Before studios and computers you would exploit timbral complexity with orchestration. Some composers would drastically and often change parts in the arrangement, losing the shorter attention span listeners.

In recordings sometimes the sin maybe in a Motown song they trot out a bari sax or glockenspiel for about five notes then never heard again in the song.

But with synths it is possible to keep trotting out different timbres every few notes for the entire song, which is another dimension of complexity and may explain why "successful" or "accessible" examples of timbral complexity tend to be rhythmically, melodically and harmonically monotonous, to achieve an overall "optimum complexity."

One doesn't have to go for the center of the bell curve but if wishing to communicate one might try simplifying some dimensions in order to make space for other dimensions of complexity.. Or whatever. :)

@JCIR

Very well said.

Yep, good read. Belongs to the 'golden rules of arrangement' department.

*bookmarked*

you guys need LSD

Klebengeblieben, Nasenmann?

nasenmann wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:38 pm you guys need LSD
I'm sure somebody on LSD will either enjoy this or go into a coma from it.

Thanks. I'll pass.

Return to “Music Cafe”