What Did You Wonder About Today?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
e-crooner
KVRian
1134 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:17 pm

I am thinking about covering my windows with black plastic sheets on the inside in order to shut the sunlight out, but I am wondering if this might make birds crash against my windows. Not sure how a bird's brain works 8)
Currently I am using white plastic sheets and birds have not crashed into my windows. But it is still way too bright in here.

vurt
addled muppet weed
59332 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What Did You Wonder About Today?

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:21 pm

leave the white up and put black on the inside.
then you and the birds are happy.

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm

Well, the white stuff is falling apart, anyway, after years of UV light exposure. So I wanted to simply replace them with black ones.

Might sounds like a strange question, but do birds fly at night? I.e. could they confuse my black windows with the night sky?

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:45 pm

not many fly at night.
but ive had black curtains before now and never noticed an issue.
even living at 29 stories.

Hink
Rad Grandad
30634 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
Well, the white stuff is falling apart, anyway, after years of UV light exposure. So I wanted to simply replace them with black ones.

Might sounds like a strange question, but do birds fly at night? I.e. could they confuse my black windows with the night sky?

Nocturnal birds, such as owls and nighthawks, always fly at night, and some other species of birds, such as thrushes, vireos, nuthatches and many sparrows, fly at night during migration periods only. Most species of birds rest during the night.

Truly nocturnal species of birds that fly, hunt, forage and raise their young during the night hours are rare. These are limited to owls, nighthawks, night-herons, frogmouths, kiwis and kakapos. Many other species of birds are diurnal, flying only during the day for most of the year, and then change to a night flying pattern during migration periods. Flying at night during migration protects birds from predators.
https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/ ... 7eb715886d

browsers have this neat feature, its called search :hihi:
I cowboy asked me if I can help round up 18 cows. I said of course, that's 20 cows

Bombadil
KVRAF
5267 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:46 pm

We have a Murder of crows nearby. They fly at night, they're flying now, making a croaking racket. There must be a couple of hundred of them. They're something to see, wheeling around like that.
“And in the End, the Love you take, is equal to the Love...you make”
The Beatles

Hink
Rad Grandad
30634 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:46 pm
We have a Murder of crows nearby. They fly at night, they're flying now, making a croaking racket. There must be a couple of hundred of them. They're something to see, wheeling around like that.
that's the decarb dude...really? Crows at night? Would those be the experimental kind?
I cowboy asked me if I can help round up 18 cows. I said of course, that's 20 cows

Bombadil
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Nope. Those would be the bats. Big hairy ones. :o

If I had a camera with night vision, I'd film it. As I said, it's impressive watching a couple of hundred birds flying in formation. Not sure why they do that, but they rarely do it during full light.
The Beatles

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:27 am

Bombadil wrote:
We have a Murder of crows nearby. They fly at night,
the foxes sleep by day.

you have the case?

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:31 am

Hink wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm

Nocturnal birds, such as owls and nighthawks, always fly at night, and some other species of birds, such as thrushes, vireos, nuthatches and many sparrows, fly at night during migration periods only. Most species of birds rest during the night.

Truly nocturnal species of birds that fly, hunt, forage and raise their young during the night hours are rare. These are limited to owls, nighthawks, night-herons, frogmouths, kiwis and kakapos. Many other species of birds are diurnal, flying only during the day for most of the year, and then change to a night flying pattern during migration periods. Flying at night during migration protects birds from predators.
https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/ ... 7eb715886d

browsers have this neat feature, its called search :hihi:
That applies to most of what people are wondering about in this thread. So your comment is pointless - again. If I felt like searching on the Internet, I would do it.

I never quite got the purpose of this thread. Is it only to dump loads of spam posts the way you and a few other keep doing here? That basically applies to much of the Off-Topic forum by the way. News flash, Off-Topic does not mean spam and nonsense, it merely means Everything Else (not music-related). The board operator should fix the name of this forum.

Nor does the browser's search feature search for answers, but for text.

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 am

I've never seen a bat myself. And I think they don't use their eyes to avoid obstacles, anyway.

Forgotten
KVRAF
8765 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 am

From experience I know that if you disturb them in a cave they can fly around you in a mass and not touch you or hit each other. It feels pretty weird to be able to just stand there and not a single one even brush you at all.

Bombadil
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:01 am

vurt wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:27 am
Bombadil wrote:
We have a Murder of crows nearby. They fly at night,
the foxes sleep by day.

you have the case?
The bats fly no more.
The Beatles

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:38 am

Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 am
From experience I know that if you disturb them in a cave they can fly around you in a mass and not touch you or hit each other. It feels pretty weird to be able to just stand there and not a single one even brush you at all.
theres footage of attenborough takking about how they never hit you in flight. as one crashes in to his head and gets stuck in his hair :hihi:

bats rule! :band:

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:52 am

Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 am
Sounds like Hitchcock :) I suppose some people might panic a bit.
Bats, the only mammal species that can fly - apart from humans :hihi:
I will fly grocery shopping now...

Return to “Off Topic”