0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
layer of haze
KVRer
25 posts since 22 Jan, 2019

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:43 am

Hey guys, looking to get my first hardware synth.
I work with bitwig and use a lot of the Arturia V-Collection 5 plugins + Serum.
Fell in love with the Arp-2600 plugin, propably the best sounding out of the whole V-Collection.
What I am lacking is a nice analog synth for deep and warm bass.
I thougt about getting the 0-Coast, as it is unlike anything I ever had and can produce some sweet bass sounds. Combined with an ARP Odyssey I should have pretty much everything I need for now.
On the other hand, I could get the Vermona Perfourmer. I love the sound, there is nothing like it out there imo. Creamy, warm and thick. What do you guys think, what will complement my setup the most?

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
42818 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:48 am

you went off the deepmind fairly quick :hihi:

layer of haze
KVRer
25 posts since 22 Jan, 2019

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:48 am
you went off the deepmind fairly quick :hihi:
:D Just realized it is not what I am looking for (lacks a bit in the lower end), also ditched the digitakt for now and will get a used Push 1.

User avatar
egbert101
KVRAF
2289 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:36 am

I heard that Behringer is possibly making an ARP 2600 clone.
<list all your stupid gear here>

layer of haze
KVRer
25 posts since 22 Jan, 2019

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 am

egbert101 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:36 am
I heard that Behringer is possibly making an ARP 2600 clone.
Just looked into it, hopfefully that is true becaue it would be my dream synth. Wonder how much it would be though, definitely more than the deepmind I guess.

User avatar
egbert101
KVRAF
2289 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 am

layer of haze wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 am
egbert101 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:36 am
I heard that Behringer is possibly making an ARP 2600 clone.
Just looked into it, hopfefully that is true becaue it would be my dream synth. Wonder how much it would be though, definitely more than the deepmind I guess.
If only Behringer could make a scaled down Moog Modular at a reasonable price. LOL! That would be my dream synth. Oh that and a CS-80.
<list all your stupid gear here>

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
42818 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 am

egbert101 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 am
layer of haze wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 am
egbert101 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:36 am
I heard that Behringer is possibly making an ARP 2600 clone.
Just looked into it, hopfefully that is true becaue it would be my dream synth. Wonder how much it would be though, definitely more than the deepmind I guess.
If only Behringer could make a scaled down Moog Modular at a reasonable price. LOL! That would be my dream synth. Oh that and a CS-80.
have you looked at the modular requests hes done over at gearsluts?
im pretty sure i read about some moog stuff in there ;)

User avatar
egbert101
KVRAF
2289 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:11 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 am
have you looked at the modular requests hes done over at gearsluts?
im pretty sure i read about some moog stuff in there ;)
If only these guys were half the price....I'd consider it.

https://synthesizers.com/modules.html
<list all your stupid gear here>

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
42818 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:13 pm

layer of haze wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 am
vurt wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:48 am
you went off the deepmind fairly quick :hihi:
:D Just realized it is not what I am looking for (lacks a bit in the lower end), also ditched the digitakt for now and will get a used Push 1.
fair enough :)

can i ask, how close is this to a purchase?
to me it sounds like youre in the early stages of hardware lust, each option sounding creamier than the last...
don't get me wrong, a great position to be in :)
but, it can be dangerous.
if for example, youre just waiting for someone to say "yeah, get synth a" and youre pressing buy it now, i don't want to recommend something that may not actually be what you need.

such as, you mention in the other thread, this is for live use also.
is a semi modular with no patch recall, suitable for you in a live situation? will you be using a similar bass all the way through a set, or would you be looking for a variety of bass sounds, so having to repatch between tracks?
depending on the music you are making, or so long as you understand the limitations a piece of equipment offers, modular can be awesome (im a modular user myself).

so, obviously "the sound" is important to you.
but what other requirements do you think youll need?
midi? patch recall? multi timbral? and so on. then find a piece of gear that ticks these boxes, it may end up being a compromise on sound, it may not, but at least youll be able to use it fully in your studio and live set up.

im not trying to put you off either, i just want to make sure you end up with something useful 8)

deastman
KVRAF
7041 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm

The 0-Coast is not at all what I think of when it comes to deep and warm bass. It’s more like bleeps and quirky percussion noises. No traditional filter in there. I think you’d be better served with a Behringer Model D or possibly Neutron. Oh, or the new one, the Crave.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

layer of haze
KVRer
25 posts since 22 Jan, 2019

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:55 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:13 pm
layer of haze wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 am
vurt wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:48 am
you went off the deepmind fairly quick :hihi:
:D Just realized it is not what I am looking for (lacks a bit in the lower end), also ditched the digitakt for now and will get a used Push 1.
fair enough :)

can i ask, how close is this to a purchase?
to me it sounds like youre in the early stages of hardware lust, each option sounding creamier than the last...
don't get me wrong, a great position to be in :)
but, it can be dangerous.
if for example, youre just waiting for someone to say "yeah, get synth a" and youre pressing buy it now, i don't want to recommend something that may not actually be what you need.

such as, you mention in the other thread, this is for live use also.
is a semi modular with no patch recall, suitable for you in a live situation? will you be using a similar bass all the way through a set, or would you be looking for a variety of bass sounds, so having to repatch between tracks?
depending on the music you are making, or so long as you understand the limitations a piece of equipment offers, modular can be awesome (im a modular user myself).

so, obviously "the sound" is important to you.
but what other requirements do you think youll need?
midi? patch recall? multi timbral? and so on. then find a piece of gear that ticks these boxes, it may end up being a compromise on sound, it may not, but at least youll be able to use it fully in your studio and live set up.

im not trying to put you off either, i just want to make sure you end up with something useful 8)
Thanks for your consideration :)
My purchase will be sometime next month, so I still got some time to consider everything.
I make techno/acid/house and got plenty of presets for my vsts which I plan to use live together with 1 or 2 analog synths, so not having presets is not a big problem for me.
I think after taking some time to learn the synths it is very nice to be forced to come up with something new every time in a live situation. The good thing about the 0-coast would be that it is something very unique and fresh, which is almost impossible to recreate with a vst. Should be very nice for acid. In addition with an odyssey or something else I would have a lot of ground covered.
The perfourmer on the other hand also has a very lovely and unique sound but is a more "classic" synth.
I just thought about another option which has slipped under my radar untill today (dominion 1/x) but I am not sure if that would be to intimidating for me. Really loving the sound though and I could get a dominion 1 for about 750€ atm which would be a lot cheaper than the perfourmer. After reading your post I realized I should maybe change my mind about getting a digitakt, would probably be a lot better suited for a live situation than the push.
Last edited by layer of haze on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

layer of haze
KVRer
25 posts since 22 Jan, 2019

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:56 pm

deastman wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm
The 0-Coast is not at all what I think of when it comes to deep and warm bass. It’s more like bleeps and quirky percussion noises. No traditional filter in there. I think you’d be better served with a Behringer Model D or possibly Neutron. Oh, or the new one, the Crave.
I heard a lot of demos and thought it had plenty of bass, not exactly warm but that is where a second synth comes in. I thought about the model d but I heard there are some tuning issues with units and a few other little issues, how reliable is yours?
Neutron seems to lack a bit in the low end and the sound does not excite me that much from what I have heard so far.
I think I will wait for the behringer odyssey and see how it compares with the arp before I buy anything from them, the early reviews say that behringer has stepped up their game in terms of build quality and sound on the odyssey.

layer of haze
KVRer
25 posts since 22 Jan, 2019

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Just checked out a few demos of the crave, thank you, now I got even more gear to consider :)
It is basically a moog mother 32 clone right? I just saw the price... 150-200€? That is hard to beat!
Considering the price I could get the crave regardless of my other choices though ;)

User avatar
egbert101
KVRAF
2289 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm

layer of haze wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:56 pm
I thought about the model d but I heard there are some tuning issues with units and a few other little issues, how reliable is yours?
The oscillators seem to drift over time. This seems to be a behaviour common to Minimoogs, so the Behringer model D is authentic, but this isn't ideal in live situations. This was just something people put up with in the seventies when the Minimoog came out.

I think the Crave sounds amazing, even with a single oscillator. Another one to consider is the Korg Minilogue XD. While it is a 4-voice polysynth, it does have the filter from the monologue, which has a very nice bass sound, even when resonance is turned up. It also has a third digital oscillator that is custom programmable.

If you don't mind pure digital and want something very different, then Arturia's MicroFreak is another very interesting and great sounding new synth.
<list all your stupid gear here>

User avatar
modularfreq
KVRist
40 posts since 24 Aug, 2018

Re: 0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Also very nice for Acid / Techno / House is the Leploop 2.
It takes some time to master, but once you do .... :party:
Check this out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JlXt30wNHg

Return to β€œHardware (Instruments and Effects)”