Me and a friend have recently formed a group...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Val_Verrel
KVRist
49 posts since 1 Jul, 2018

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello all! I recently began a new journey with a friend and we seem to have developed a really cool sound would love to hear feedback from you all!

https://soundcloud.com/tracuda/kira

wagtunes
KVRAF
14843 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Me and a friend have recently formed a group...

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:25 pm

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 6

Overall - 7.5

Comments: Mix is a train wreck. Vocals too loud. Drums need some serious EQ. BG Vocals are barely audible over the noise. Bell synth needs EQ. Towards the middle it gets a little better. Musically, odd, but what isn't these days. At least it's not the same old same old so points for that. I do like some of the chord progressions towards the end. Parts remind me of some early 70s soul. Fix the mix and it's not that bad.

layzer
KVRAF
6365 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 pm

discovering the reverb effect for the first time?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

wagtunes
KVRAF
14843 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:55 pm

layzer wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 pm
discovering the reverb effect for the first time?
That's all you got? :lol:

ATS
KVRAF
6221 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:32 pm

reminds me a little of Ladytron, not bad. I guess the mix could be better.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7540 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Fairly psychadelic sounding, some of the overlapping sounds in it are almost distracting. Not sure I like the transition at 1:20 it seems a bit abrupt.

Since the RAP vocals are kind of the main source, I'd almost cut back on the reverb a lot to differentiate them from the other mix elements.

This type of sound seems to be gaining traction I've noticed, so if you keep working on this stuff you could definitely go somewhere with it.
Sound Experiments -> |https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413|
Join the Anti-EDM movement :borg:

Wopelka
KVRAF
3195 posts since 22 Sep, 2003 from under the sun

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 pm

I really like the first part of the track. The male voice is definitively too.. wet. The mix needs work that's a fact. Nonetheless the spacey sounds and atmospheric feel is great.

lessera
KVRist
55 posts since 16 Oct, 2016

Post Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:32 am

Yeah, the delays and reverb need to be toned down considerably. I was not crazy about the first half, but I like the direction the track takes at around 2:00 onward... would have liked a bit more of that (and a bit less fx). I would someday like to hear a reworked version of this, if you plan on doing so.

Val_Verrel
KVRist
49 posts since 1 Jul, 2018

Post Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Definitely understand the comments about the mix but the use of reverb is intentional and we love it, sounds galactic!

seismic1
KVRAF
9139 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:54 pm

The "psychedelic" tag on your SoundCloud definitely fits the bill here. I like listening to your tracks because you manage to incorporate "unexpected" elements into your music and that gives your sound a differentiator. It's good that you're not afraid to take risks and experiment. It may not always work out to everybody's satisfaction, but the experience gained will stand you in good stead.

Good work :)

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2096 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:18 pm

There is almost no separation...so the track feels like a wash. I think the general feel of the song is fine, but the production and mix is where you begin to lose cohesiveness. I am less worried about reverb and more concerned about the delay that washes everything out and causes unnecessary overlap, even making some things in-tonal. This is similar to some tracks I worked on in the late 90's (your voice reminds me of my man PK when we were mixing with Rob Zombie). There are ways to keep it galactic without washing out your good ideas.

Return to “Music Cafe”