A Short Orchestral Improv.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
In The Mix
KVRist
220 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:13 pm

It's not an actual composition but something I recorded in a pass or two to demo a sound set for Korg Kronos. I could eventually use the structure and develop ideas with sample libraries.

Soundcloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/sam-madoo-158011 ... suite-demo

and if you wanted to see the video performance of the same audio, here's the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_VEkMBKgRg

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9973 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Re: A Short Orchestral Improv.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Nice sketch :tu:. Could certainly be developped with sample libs. I think it could have been a bit more alive with real time volume control. (Maybe not possible with this lib and Kronos ad hoc, but probably doable with a bit of additonnal programming ?)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

In The Mix
KVRist

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Lotuzia wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:53 pm
Nice sketch :tu:. Could certainly be developped with sample libs. I think it could have been a bit more alive with real time volume control. (Maybe not possible with this lib and Kronos ad hoc, but probably doable with a bit of additonnal programming ?)
Thanks. That could totally be done with a foot controller. I was actually using the FCB1010 to some extent. I wanted people to hear the raw sounds in real time, so I didn't do any post editing to balance the dynamics and stuff. All the harmony info is in there though. I could easily expand it for something a little more useful.

Wopelka
KVRAF
3195 posts since 22 Sep, 2003 from under the sun

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Woaw. Good playing and great sounds. You know well what you are doing with your impro to be able to play again on top of it with such precision. Or should I ask : how many takes to succeed ?

In The Mix
KVRist

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Wopelka wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 pm
Woaw. Good playing and great sounds. You know well what you are doing with your impro to be able to play again on top of it with such precision. Or should I ask : how many takes to succeed ?
Thank you Wopelka,

My workflow for these type of performances:

I mess around with the main sound (that orchestral combo in this case) to get a feel for velocity layers, switches...etc. Once I get to know the potential, I come up with a loose plan just for the main track and structure of the track. I just let the camera roll and I play like 3 times back to back. Once I have that main track the rest is ridiculously easy. For the woodwind, I played all the way through but I took out the first half to make room for Cello. It also created a nice little contrast.

If I were to develop this sketch into a convincing composition? Yeah, that would definitely take a lot longer.

My goal for this demo was to showcase different texture and articulations associated with each combi for Kronos users.

Return to “Music Cafe”