Formatting/deleting files and defragging SSD’s?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
dickiefunk
KVRAF
2528 posts since 22 Mar, 2006 from cornwall

Post Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:25 am

Hi,

I’ve been hearing that formatting, deleting files and defragging SSD’s can damage them!?
Is this correct?
How much damage can this cause?

I would really like to format one of my SSD’s as I would like to install a completely new set of samples and VST’s. What would you suggest I do?

Deep Purple
KVRian
758 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Re: Formatting/deleting files and defragging SSD’s?

Post Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:55 am

SSD expected lifetimes are rated by how many times they are written to, but you're not going to see them fail just because you format and write data to them at similar rates and volumes as hard drives. If you format it every day for the next 10 years, you might see a problem, but otherwise you should stop worrying about it.
Sweet child in time...

Pictus
KVRist
179 posts since 21 Aug, 2017 from Brasil

Post Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:59 am

Deep Purple
KVRian
758 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Post Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Don't bother with the defrag though - there's no benefit from defragging an SSD.
Sweet child in time...

jancivil
KVRAF
17519 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:08 pm

You can f**k an SSD up defragging, don't.

NB: I was told this first by a representative of a firm that sells defragging software.

Hooj
KVRist
412 posts since 23 Aug, 2012 from Way Out West

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 am

defragmenting a SSD will reduce its lifespan, Period!

stratum
KVRAF
2234 posts since 29 May, 2012

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:48 am

I have never seen a solid state drive fail.
~stratum~

jdnz
KVRian
734 posts since 3 Oct, 2011 from Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:14 am

stratum wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:48 am
I have never seen a solid state drive fail.
really? We’ve had plenty fail at my work - one was definitely tortured to death (scratch disk on a workstation running computational chemistry s/w 24/7 - basically continuous writes, killed the drive in about 1 year). The others have just been random failures (sudden too - either drive becomes read only, or worse still vanishes). Indeed first job on the books for today is dealing with a 2014 mbp whose drive died on friday (vanished from disk utility even - dead dead)

overall failure rate is generally lower than the hdd failure rate was though - mainly cos a lot of the ssds are in laptops, and back when laptops had hdds we had them die regularly due to shock damage

stratum
KVRAF
2234 posts since 29 May, 2012

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 am

I have occasionally lost data but so far they never "failed" in the sense that they were damaged, but my 24/7 write tests never last a year:) There are disks that are better suited to such tasks. They are usually marketed for surveillance applications and you can easily notice them by that word in their name.
~stratum~

jdnz
KVRian
734 posts since 3 Oct, 2011 from Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:59 pm

stratum wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 am
I have occasionally lost data but so far they never "failed" in the sense that they were damaged, but my 24/7 write tests never last a year:) There are disks that are better suited to such tasks. They are usually marketed for surveillance applications and you can easily notice them by that word in their name.
actually the ssd was the right choice for this job as the s/w we were running was massively i/o bound - switching from a spinning rust scratch drive to ssd yielded about a 4 fold thruput increase.

I knew we were going to kill the ssd, and in fact was surprised it lasted as long as it did (and since it was just a scratch disk it dying was no big deal)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”