MuLab 8.0.66

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pljones wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:25 am
pekbro wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 am Anyone able to get the event input module to work? I cant get it to see any ports
although they are listed in the midi setup. Win 8...
I get "None" listed. Connecting an Event Monitor shows no events, regardless of focus. However, disconnecting the Event Monitor from the Event Input and having it focussed shows events, so it's not clear what the Event Input module is doing at project level.
Yeah I'm getting the same, I'm hoping this will serve as a direct line to midi devices.
The focus thing is kindof difficult to deal with if you're using say, a hardware sequencer
as I am. Of course, maybe I'm missing something.

A simple dedicated external hardware module would be nice as well, similar to the ones in Live
or Bitwig. Not overly necessary, just nice.

-Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In contrast to M7, M8 now allows an Event Input module in the project MUX. This is necessary when you're mapping a MIDI controller to a Project MUX meta parameter. Note that such event input module does not show the incoming MIDI events from MIDI input as these are automatically dispatched to the focused module (focused track).

Ok thanks Jo...

The thing I mentioned about the step sequencer, is that they are always on (pretty much).
So you can imagine how it goes when switching focus around.

-Cheers

What did you mention about the step seq? I may have missed that. Please quote / link.

pekbro wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:48 am
The focus thing is kindof difficult to deal with if you're using say, a hardware sequencer
as I am. Of course, maybe I'm missing something.
Anyway, not a huge deal as I haven't even really looked to see if I am missing something.
Some eurorack sequencers cant be disabled easily. No off button :)

*This is a cv sequencer, so no midi channels. I'm still figuring out the cv to midi thing,
likely I just need to work it out.

-Cheers

Ah i missed that seq thing, sorry. Yes the auto MIDI focus thing is a good thing for most setups where there is 1 main MIDI keyboard: Click a track and it's sound is on the keyboard. Simple & easy. In a more complex MIDI setup it needs some more tweaking. If you want fixed assignments between MIDI input channel and target rack/module then use PROJECT menu -> Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets. See http://www.mutools.com/mulab/m8/docs/mu ... -menu.html

Ok great thanks Jo, I'll have a look :tu:

PS: In M8 it's possible to use "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets" to map all incoming MIDI to the project MUX event input. From there you can connect with the cables as you want. FYI: The "project MUX" is the top level MUX and it's the one that shows up using the "MODULAR" button at the top of the project window. If you would always want such project setup you can save it as a project template.

mutools wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 amPS: In M8 it's possible to use "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets" to map all incoming MIDI to the project MUX event input.
Ah! That makes sense! :)

OK, so having one Project Event Input in the Project MUX works -- the "first" one gets the events, others seem to be ignored. You can then use a MIDI Channel Splitter to split by channel, with the Project Event Input MIDI Channel Targets set to target the Project MUX and preserve their input channel (i.e. not use "Focused channel"). (Channels set to follow focus will continue to do that.)

However, having more than one doesn't seem to have much point and the right-click Edit value for "MIDI Input Port" still has no purpose. Is that all as expected?

pljones wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm OK, so having one Project Event Input in the Project MUX works -- the "first" one gets the events
MIDI controller mapping to project mux meta parameters indeed uses the first project mux event input.
However, having more than one doesn't seem to have much point
You could use them as a target for "MIDI Input Channel Targets".
and the right-click Edit value for "MIDI Input Port" still has no purpose. Is that all as expected?
Indeed currently it is not supported to link a project event input directly to a MIDI input device. Because MIDI input uses the "MIDI Input Channel Targets" info to decide what to do with it.

Does this clarify it?

It all works well though. Lotta welcome additions to M8 imho. :tu:

mutools wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 pm
However, having more than one doesn't seem to have much point
You could use them as a target for "MIDI Input Channel Targets".
Hm... I'll have to try this again - I don't think I got that working (though it may just have been I'd got the channel wrong on the controller, hence needing to check again).

You're right, i was wrong. The project mux event input module cannot be used in as a MIDI Input Channel Target because it has no event input jack. But you can all what i wrote above by using a Patch Point module as a MIDI Input Channel Target.

That leaves only one thing: What's the project mux event input good for? Well it is definitely internally needed in case you map a MIDI CC to a project mux meta-parameter. Besides that it is not used atm.

M8.0.48 is available in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/m8/

What's changed:
  • Editing long samples with many many markers is faster now.
  • "Auto Open Sub-Menu Delay Time" preference shortened to "Open Sub-Menu Delay Time". (pls re-set your prefered value)
  • Other minor improvements.
How to update:
Windows: Replace the current MuLab.exe and MuLab.ID by the new versions.
MacOS: Replace the current MuLab.app by the new version.

Dont know if it has been mentioned or was a problem with versions before already (have not used mulab since MU 6 for quite a while) but in the newest version (0.48) I have problem with Alchemy (win 10 64 bit): I can add the plug without any problem in the plugin manager, load it, choose preset, it plays, evrything fine but when I close mulabe and try to reload the project it says: "could not create vst instance for Alchemy". The strange thing is: that does not happen evry time, actually it worked saving and opening two times, then it failed the next three times....really strange. No problem with the other vst so far.

Return to “MUTOOLS”