Ableton Push vs Novation Launchpad Pro (or others?)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys so I was recently testing out both Ableton & Bitwig as a new DAW and have finally settled on buying Ableton Live Suite with an educational discount. However, I would like to buy a grid controller in addition to Live and I'm not sure which to get. I do have an MPK Mini but I've never actually found it very "inspiring" to use and, like I said, I'd like to have an actual grid controller.

On one hand, I've never heard a single bad thing about the Push. It looks amazing and judging from reviews it seems to really improve people's workflows within Live. However, the Push will put me over $1,000 even with my educational discount. For someone just starting out with Live and still getting used to its workflow will the Push really make a difference over the $300 Launchpad Pro? Also, how good is the Launchpad Pro compared to the Push? Is it comparable on a perfomance level? Are the feel of the pads similar or is the Launchpad's "cheap"? Would I be able to do the same things with the Launchpad Pro that I can with the Push?

Thank you all for any advice and information & if you have any suggestions other than the Push or Launchpad Pro I'd love to hear them!

Push integration is obviously better, it is a controller designed mostly for composition and IMHO it is good for someone starting.

But in your place I would look for a Push 1 second hand, they go really cheap, they are well made and are very useful, maybe after using it you are convinced you are going to find Push 2 as good and you upgrade, but if you don't get on with Push 1 you can just sell it and move on.
dedication to flying

Akai APC40 or APC Mini

If you are looking to use the grid controller like a midi keyboard and/or drum pad as well as the standard clip launching function , then I'd recommend the Push1 "used" or a Push2 new or used over the other stuff that was recommended . So ... +1 Used Push1

I sold my Launchpad soon as I got Push ... they're not really in the same league (in use with Live) imho. The screen & knobs on Push2 make all the difference.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”