How to get a wide bass like this that still sounds good in mono?

How to make that sound...
Passing Bye
KVRian
560 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:14 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:05 am
No offense intended, but, i wonder if the pros really test and adjust their tracks to mono speakers these days. I somehow doubt it. If that means compromising how the tracks sound in stereo, just so a few people can listen to them on their Bluetooth speakers and don't get a wrong impression, i really can't imagine that that is a common practice. Let's just say that this rather sounds like a myth to me. Simply because i can't figure out the benefit.
You do realize that your enter in mono territory anytime you leave perfect center of stereo listening position?

Kwurqx
KVRist
203 posts since 15 Jun, 2017

Re: How to get a wide bass like this that still sounds good in mono?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:49 am

Haas is a phase shift between left and right. That will surely cause cancellation/combfilter effects when goining MONO. Not as much as full phase reversal (180) but still.

Also I dont think it's only due to spreading separate parts of the spectrum across the stereo field (which would NOT effect MONO which is in effect the summing/averaging of the left and right signals).

It sounds to me as if there are actually 2 different tracks/takes. Left and Right. You can hear differences in the spectrum and relative volume (even timing?). Sometimes the Left prevails, sometimes the Right.

The Center would prevail when Left and Right have a lot of spectral overlap. Spectral similarity/overlap between Left and Right convolutes/averages towards the Center at the cost of Left/Right separation. Like at around 1:35 where you can even hear the bass only in the center.

This "trick" would have it's effect when going MONO due to the "averaging" of the 3 signals. But I guess both volume and spectral content are very similar, it will still give it sort of "the same" sound to the ear.

That's my guess anyway...

CHOOS
KVRist
206 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 am

Do this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3132 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:49 am

do you have a fat sausage?

Return to “Sound Design”