Frank Arnold - Sun And Shade (Work In Progress)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
4damind
KVRAF
4735 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 am

I'm working on a new track.

A production idea I've used is "ducking" of the reverb. Ok, it's not really a reverb, its the ReplikaXT delay in diffusion mode. Sidechained with the Glue and compression with Slate VBC Grey (SSL type).
How does it sound:
https://soundcloud.com/52degree/mrq/s-txZgq

And the progress of this track:
https://soundcloud.com/52degree/sun-and-shade/s-MHl2o

What do you think? :phones:

mellotronaut
KVRAF
9862 posts since 2 Jan, 2005 from somewhere in the woods

Re: Frank Arnold - Sun And Shade (Work In Progress)

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am

sounds perfect to my ears: i love this kind of old school (Berliner Schule) Electro. :love:
"It dreamed itself along"

Vortifex
KVRian
1156 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 am

I'm probably being extremely picky here but I didn't like the click on the synth in the intro to Mr Q, it was particularly prominent from 0:07 to 0:16. Everything else sounded great, for some reason it reminded me of Jarre's concert in China. Look forward to hearing the finished version.

4damind
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Vortifex wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 am
I'm probably being extremely picky here but I didn't like the click on the synth in the intro to Mr Q, it was particularly prominent from 0:07 to 0:16. Everything else sounded great, for some reason it reminded me of Jarre's concert in China. Look forward to hearing the finished version.
Yes, I heared this clicks too in the exported file of this muted parts. It seems this is the behaviour of the Prophet V (Arturia) with shorter envelope release values. Disabling the "release" switch or setting longer release times removes this clicks. Fixed it ;)

4damind
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Thank you Steven & mellotronaut :phones:

Bansaw
KVRist
466 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:36 am

I like your stuff, nice retro creations.
You are quite minimalistic on your percussion. I'd personally like to hear more of a focus on the drums, but I guess thats personal taste. I like to have the kick drive more, and have the hi-hat in there.

4damind
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Bansaw wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:36 am
I like your stuff, nice retro creations.
You are quite minimalistic on your percussion. I'd personally like to hear more of a focus on the drums, but I guess thats personal taste. I like to have the kick drive more, and have the hi-hat in there.
Thank you! Yes, there is not so much percussion in this track. I think it goes a bit in the direction of Tangerine Dream which is more focused to sequences/arpeggios.

People often like videos more instead of listening to audio-only. So I made a small video too ;)
https://youtu.be/RMUn_GGRWxU

fastlanephil
KVRian
690 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 pm

It does sound quite smooth and relaxing. Not much here to think about but that can be a plus.

sjm
KVRAF
1771 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 am

4damind wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 pm
Yes, I heared this clicks too in the exported file of this muted parts. It seems this is the behaviour of the Prophet V (Arturia) with shorter envelope release values. Disabling the "release" switch or setting longer release times removes this clicks. Fixed it ;)
Still hearing lots of clicks and glitches (maybe you didn't update the audio we're hearing?)
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

chk071
KVRAF
18868 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 am

In my opinion, in Mr. Q, the sound which comes in at 0:18, when the beat starts (that prominent sound which sounds a bit like a flute) is a little too loud, and should be turned down. Apart from that, nice as usual. :) You definitely have your own sound, which i even recognize, when i listen to DI.FM Chillout, when one of your tracks is playing. I always think that the drums need a bit more work though, i feel like they could sound a bit more interesting/distinctive. Minor niggles.

4damind
KVRAF

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:42 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 am
In my opinion, in Mr. Q, the sound which comes in at 0:18, when the beat starts (that prominent sound which sounds a bit like a flute) is a little too loud, and should be turned down. Apart from that, nice as usual. :) You definitely have your own sound, which i even recognize, when i listen to DI.FM Chillout, when one of your tracks is playing. I always think that the drums need a bit more work though, i feel like they could sound a bit more interesting/distinctive. Minor niggles.
Very well listened to it! Its good heared in this "Mr.Q" (maybe because of the muted parts). This lead synth is a bit too loud, it sounds better if the level is a small amount decreased.
I don't have the complete track ready yet but I agree that it needs a bit more work with the drums (drums are always a challenge for me :hihi:)

Return to “Music Cafe”