Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
lfm
KVRAF
4946 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:01 am

Hi

Thinking of getting a second Neutron, and also see some second hand out there.
But not sure about if anybody actually connected an out to another out - if that breaks etc.

It's a lot to test if to check it is ok before purchase.

Is this stuff protected and fool proof?

I the days I was doing electronics there was this open collector versions of various chips - that always feed through a resistor from +V, so nothing much happend if you connect two. Transistor never drive anything but to ground.

If somebody did connect an out to an out on Neutron - and poof, or?
Or rather safe to buy second hand, is my drift?

Thanks.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
41712 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 am

well all electrical equipment could possibly fail even under perfect usage, the risk is the same as buying anything second hand.
you're trusting the seller to be honest.

sprnva
KVRian
1493 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 am

Considering how cheap the Neutron already is, how much are you saving buying a used one? And is that saving worth the peace of mind you'd get buying a new one?

I don't know if Behringer have any kind of protection in their circuit but bearing in mind how they cut all possible corners to keep the price down I wouldn't bank on it.
Image Image Image

deastman
KVRAF
6993 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am

I would hope that they’ve added reverse protection to patch points exposed in the matrix. Obviously you never want to patch an out to an out. That being said, I think you’re unlikely to blow anything if you patch it wrong, although I haven’t seen their schematics. I’ve been using Eurorack modular since 1996, and I’ve never damaged a module.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

lfm
KVRAF
4946 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 am

sprnva wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 am
Considering how cheap the Neutron already is, how much are you saving buying a used one? And is that saving worth the peace of mind you'd get buying a new one?

Yes, that is a good argument, thank you.
To save 30% of almost nothing, is nothing.

lfm
KVRAF
4946 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:55 am

deastman wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am
.... I’ve been using Eurorack modular since 1996, and I’ve never damaged a module.
That feels ensuring, thank you.

lfm
KVRAF
4946 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 am

vurt wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 am
well all electrical equipment could possibly fail even under perfect usage, the risk is the same as buying anything second hand.
you're trusting the seller to be honest.
Thanks.
Just see more potential risk than any ordinary synth - the patch matrix is such essential part of Neutron - and every ability to just connect a cable anywhere.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
41712 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am

lfm wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 am
sprnva wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 am
Considering how cheap the Neutron already is, how much are you saving buying a used one? And is that saving worth the peace of mind you'd get buying a new one?

Yes, that is a good argument, thank you.
To save 30% of almost nothing, is nothing.
yeah, but that's a 60 quid saving.
that's a big muff on top 8)

sprnva
KVRian
1493 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:43 am

vurt wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am
yeah, but that's a 60 quid saving.
that's a big muff on top 8)
Or a tenth of a P-Melter if Reverb allowed the listing!
Image Image Image

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
41712 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 am

:lol:

argfinessex
KVRer
11 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:01 am

Have you checked out Sonic Lab on youtube? Nick Batt does a review of loads of gear. That's what I did when looking around.

lfm
KVRAF
4946 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:26 am

argfinessex wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:01 am
Have you checked out Sonic Lab on youtube? Nick Batt does a review of loads of gear. That's what I did when looking around.
I have watched some reviews on synths from him, good stuff. Thanks.

Just did not see technical things like if sensitive if connecting an out to an out, or silly mistakes that could happen.

argfinessex
KVRer
11 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:01 am

lfm wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:26 am
argfinessex wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:01 am
Have you checked out Sonic Lab on youtube? Nick Batt does a review of loads of gear. That's what I did when looking around.
I have watched some reviews on synths from him, good stuff. Thanks.

Just did not see technical things like if sensitive if connecting an out to an out, or silly mistakes that could happen.
I have a feeling I heard that you do have to be a bit careful but can't be sure which synth it was. Sorry I can't be more help.
I think as it's so cheap then caution be advised.

lfm
KVRAF
4946 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 pm

argfinessex wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:01 am
I think as it's so cheap then caution be advised.
Sounds like good advice - and double reason not to do second hand purchases on these units. You are not saving a fortune....

argfinessex
KVRer
11 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Re: Neutron - and maybe other modulars - how sensitive are patch outs for breakage?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 pm

lfm wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 pm
argfinessex wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:01 am
I think as it's so cheap then caution be advised.
Sounds like good advice - and double reason not to do second hand purchases on these units. You are not saving a fortune....
if you're saving £200+, then yes, it's worth it, but other wise by the time you take account of guarantees with new, often it isn't with cheap stuff.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”