Studio Noise/Hum

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
MeanGreen7
KVRer
12 posts since 19 Jan, 2018

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:14 am

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new desk for my studio, and as things are in flux, I thought I would take the time to check my connections and listen for hum/noises etc. I have read as many threads as I can on the topic, but certain aspects about cables and eliminated noise still confuse me.

Currently, I have my computer, monitors, and interface(Clarett 8Pre) connected to a Furman power supply. Monitors and computer are on desk, and interface is to the left in a rack. When I turn the gain up on a single channel of my interface, I get the normal sound of the noise floor increasing(no hum or extra bad noise). As soon as I insert a cable into the same jack coming from my Samson patch bay(with nothing else connected or racked), I get a very low level 60hz hum(I have to increase it about 24+DB for it to even be audible). The cable I tested with was a balanced Mogami 2549 cable, with Neutrik jacks(TRS), purchased from Redco.

Is this normal, and is it really an issue if it's so low in volume? I have hum from all my other gear as well, but I didn't expect it to happen from simply connecting my patchbay. I have no interest in making my own cables, but I'm not sure if I can do something to the cables I already have to stop this.

I would appreciate any help.

BertKoor
KVRAF
10959 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Re: Studio Noise/Hum

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 pm

Cables can work as antennas, picking up 60 Hz hum and loads of other frequencies out of the thin air. That's how electricity and electric fields works: inductance. If you have to turn up all the knobs to unrealistical levels, you know this is not a real problem.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

MeanGreen7
KVRer
12 posts since 19 Jan, 2018

Re: Studio Noise/Hum

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:53 am

Yeah, I get that. I guess I just wanna make sure my audio is as clean as possible, but I suppose a little noise is inevitable.

However, the hum from some of my other gear is much more prominent, and I'm unsure how to deal with this. I'm wondering if it's caused by different pieces of gear being racked separately.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”