Crossover/frequency splitter

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Exie
KVRist
72 posts since 3 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 pm

I'm looking for a decent Linkwitz-Riley crossover VST filter with 2 or 3 bands. 64-bit, stable, easy on CPU, no multiple outputs, I want to keep the routing simple and solo one band at time. Variable slope would be great.

I tried RS-MET and Christian Budde Linkwitz-Riley plugins and they don't suit the requirements.

I would appreciate any hints.

ckam03
KVRian
508 posts since 11 May, 2014

Re: Crossover/frequency splitter

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Check out the free bundle from Melda. It has the MRatioMB plugin that sounds like what you want.

ReverendLove
KVRist
83 posts since 3 Dec, 2009 from Cologne, Germany

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Hornet has a decent crossover called 3XOver, it has four stereo outputs for every band and the bypass, but you can route them internally as you like.

Debutante
KVRAF
3026 posts since 16 Jan, 2005 from Ottawa, Ontario

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:13 pm

ReverendLove wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Hornet has a decent crossover called 3XOver, it has four stereo outputs for every band and the bypass, but you can route them internally as you like.
Is it flat?

Exie
KVRist

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Just tried 3XOver and it's not transparent at all. I will give MRatioMB a try, I'm trying to avoid linear phase mode and the latency it brings, hope that hybrid mode is good enough.

marzelli
KVRist
43 posts since 13 May, 2018

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:43 am

Exie wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 am
Thanks for the suggestions. Just tried 3XOver and it's not transparent at all. I will give MRatioMB a try, I'm trying to avoid linear phase mode and the latency it brings, hope that hybrid mode is good enough.
It's not flat either. Maybe give the Blur Cat Audio plugins a try.

I use FabFilter Pro MB for such things in linear phase mode. Sometimes the dynamic phase mode is flat too.

Exie
KVRist

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:49 am

marzelli wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:43 am
I use FabFilter Pro MB for such things in linear phase mode. Sometimes the dynamic phase mode is flat too.
I appreciate the feedback. I've demoed Pro-MB and it seems to use Linkwitz-Riley in dynamic mode indeed, frequency and phase response are the best they could be with zero latency. A bit too serious tool for such simple task but it's light on CPU at least. I'll give it a closer look.

marzelli
KVRist
43 posts since 13 May, 2018

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 am

Yeah it indeed is a beast for such a simple task. But I experienced the (different for low/high pass) continuous filter slope is a gods gift :D

Return to “Effects”