Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song (reposted)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/f ... faict-song

The story so far:

Song pulled after hearing a nearly identical song by Bob Dylan.

I reconsidered after realizing that Dylan's song (Buckets Of Rain) ripped its melody from Tom Paxton's Bottle Of Wine, so to perdition with both of 'em, I'm posting my song here. As I originally noted, I never heard Dylan's song until after I'd written my little ditty, but it's kind of an obvious riff anyway. So here ya go, an actual song with words and finger-picking on an electroacoustic guitar, recorded with two mics and Ardour. A little compression here, a little reverb there, and voila, a new tune from Studio D. I do hope you find it at least somewhat amenable and/or not wholly unbearable.

Comments welcome, as always, but go easy on me, folks, I haven't done anything like this for a while.

Best regards,

dp

Bumping.

Excellent. It's got a nice "intimate" sound and clarity, and is a very good piece of songwriting with lyrics that I can relate to. Nice pacing and the length of the song is just right.

Good work :)

Fingerpicking..it's some kind of crazy, impossible, sell-your-soul-to-the-devil, voodoo thing to me...bastard!

Captured that vintage 'Americana' thing really well. Perhaps just a bit less reverb? Or is that mostly the sound of the room?

@seismic1 - Thank you, much appreciated. :)

@donkey tugger - I've been a finger-picker almost from the start of my guitar studies, my first deep interest in music was rural blues a la Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, and of course Mississippi John Hurt. I guess it shows. :) And yes, I'm still getting used to the sound of my new room. We relocated a few months ago, I have my own studio space now but have only now started to do acoustic recordings. Takes a bit of time to get the feel of the place, I'll work on it. Thanks for checking out my song, dt !

talent. bravo :clap:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Enjoyed it!

This takes me back to the early seventies country blues folk rock music. The stones had a song with a similar riff. I think it’s based on the blues guitar work of Robert Johnson, recorded in the mid thirties. The headwaters of rock.

The legend is that he traveled from town to town playing his music and being quite a young handsome man he would take up with the ugliest single woman in each town for free board and room. It was reported that one of them finally shot him dead in a jealous rage.

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 9
Mix - 7

Overall - 7.875

Comments: Nice music. Opening guitar a bit muddy. Could use some EQ or closer to the mic or something. Nice quirky voice. Like it.

@fastlanephil - Well, the Stones were a seminal influence, their music turned me towards core blues music by Johnson and others. I remember when I was about 13, reading one of their album covers and thinking to myself, "What the hell is a Muddy Waters ?". I found out. :)

@wagtunes - The guitar is under-recorded, no doubt. It's actually an electroacoustic played through a small amp, but the amp was too far away from the mics. Btw, only a little processing was used, just some compression and a bit of reverb, both with native Linux plugins made for the Ardour DAW.

Thanks for checking out my song and thank you both very much for your comments.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips

Has a very folky vibe to it. Nice guitar, well done! The vocals do have that Dylan edge but also a bit country to my ears.
Nicely done...
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 am Has a very folky vibe to it. Nice guitar, well done! The vocals do have that Dylan edge but also a bit country to my ears.
Nicely done...
Thanks, Al. :)

I have a backlog of original songs, some with finger-picking, some not. I hope to get around to recording at least basic versions of them asap. I've had three good friends die recently, so I'm a bit more motivated to Get Things Done these days.

Best regards,

dp

quite enjoyable ...
i can listen to some finger-picking ...

if you are not already , i urge you to familiarize
yourself w/ the ass't artists of the original Takoma Records ...

personal favorites of mine :
john fahey : ' the voice of the turtle '
peter lang : ' the thing at the nursery room window '

Allomerus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 am Has a very folky vibe to it. Nice guitar, well done!
Indeed!

sjm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:00 pm
Allomerus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 am Has a very folky vibe to it. Nice guitar, well done!
Indeed!
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wanted to let you know that I checked out some of your songs last night, it's great stuff. I'm following you on SC now. :)

Best regards,

dp

layzer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:01 pm talent. bravo :clap:
Thank you, L. [blushing emoji here]

Best regards,

dp

Return to “Music Cafe”