[Electronic] Kurai - Know You

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/kuraimusic/know-you

Tried to combine some hip hop elements with electronic. There are some things I would change if I were to produce it again but so far I'm proud of this one and am learning everyday :) let me know what you think!

Nice atmosphere and lovely progression. Sound design is nice, I like your future-bassy chord stabs. The sidechain is a bit too strong. From 1:30 onwards it starts getting a bit repetitive and monotonous. You need more movement, or some new motifs or variation in the pace. You lack a bridge section.

The vocals are out of key at some places (1:05 & 1:24). The kick sounds out of place in this mix. Needs more saturation and less of that hard transient. Could try an 808 instead. Would go better with the vibe of this track I think.

Good job! Keep it up.

sounds like a good song that MOST people would enjoy
ignoring the production end.
more critical listeners like exponent1 and i will pick
up on the annoying side chain pumping, wishing
it wasnt there to fully enjoy the piece.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

My Feedback

Music - 6.5
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 6
Mix - 6

Overall - 6.5

Comments: The lead needs some EQ. Way too loud a mix. Snare especially too loud. The sidechain is obnoxious. The mix is obnoxious. There's very little musical diversity. The choppy rhythm is annoying. There is no fluidity to this piece at all. It's repetitive but not boring only because of how annoying it is. Does this thing even breath at all? I think Layzer was being kind with his critique though I can't understand why.

Started off really promising, and I thought, "this is going to be a cut above..." but then the helicopter blades came in. Would love to hear a different mix of this.

I appreciate all feedback positive and negative! Thanks for pointing out the vocal, I need to pay more attention to my vocal samples because I'm far away from having perfect pitch and didn't catch them falling out. I know its far from perfect but I just need to make my minimum posts so I can give some positive feedback to users I interacted with on the Buy and Sell forum. Glad to have some input on what to work on. I'll keep all of your feedback in mind on future projects.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:05 pm My Feedback

Music - 6.5
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 6
Mix - 6

Overall - 6.5

Comments: The lead needs some EQ. Way too loud a mix. Snare especially too loud. The sidechain is obnoxious. The mix is obnoxious. There's very little musical diversity. The choppy rhythm is annoying. There is no fluidity to this piece at all. It's repetitive but not boring only because of how annoying it is. Does this thing even breath at all? I think Layzer was being kind with his critique though I can't understand why.
I love how you use words like "obnoxious" for someone asking for constructive feedback :hihi: People at the OSC are a big fan of your music, sound design and most importantly, your pleasing personality :hihi: I wonder why they booted you out? :shrug:
canaden wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:11 am I appreciate all feedback positive and negative! Thanks for pointing out the vocal, I need to pay more attention to my vocal samples because I'm far away from having perfect pitch and didn't catch them falling out. I know its far from perfect but I just need to make my minimum posts so I can give some positive feedback to users I interacted with on the Buy and Sell forum. Glad to have some input on what to work on. I'll keep all of your feedback in mind on future projects.
But I really like your chord progression, it's very catchy. Did you come up with it or was it inspired by something else? Could you share some info about how you produced this? Maybe I can help you with some focused/targeted constructive feedback. :tu:

exponent1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Music - 6.5
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 6
Mix - 6

Overall - 6.5

I love how you use words like "obnoxious" for someone asking for constructive feedback :hihi: People at the OSC are a big fan of your music, sound design and most importantly, your pleasing personality :hihi: I wonder why they booted you out? :shrug:
canaden wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:11 am I appreciate all feedback positive and negative! Thanks for pointing out the vocal, I need to pay more attention to my vocal samples because I'm far away from having perfect pitch and didn't catch them falling out. I know its far from perfect but I just need to make my minimum posts so I can give some positive feedback to users I interacted with on the Buy and Sell forum. Glad to have some input on what to work on. I'll keep all of your feedback in mind on future projects.
But I really like your chord progression, it's very catchy. Did you come up with it or was it inspired by something else? Could you share some info about how you produced this? Maybe I can help you with some focused/targeted constructive feedback. :tu:
Nobody booted me out of anywhere. I can go back there any time I like and participate anytime I like. I chose not to. Have no interest in the OSC anymore.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 pm
Nobody booted me out of anywhere. I can go back there any time I like and participate anytime I like. I chose not to. Have no interest in the OSC anymore.
:hihi: Of course! OSC is open to everyone, including you :)

Music - 6.5
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 6
Mix - 6

Overall - 6.5

Yes of course! I'm just on my way out of the house actually, when I get back I will explain the details of the track :)

Thanks! I remember for this track in particular I was dealing with writers block that had lasted a couple of months. I would just make little loops and then delete them and realized I was wasting time. So I began to have sessions where I would open a piano and come up with chord progressions and save them in a folder. I would just start with bass notes or basic triads using Ableton's fold function to quickly get some notes down and then begin to experiment until I got something I liked. This process is usually just adding 7ths/9ths/13ths, experimenting with sus chords, and trying out different inversions until I am happy.

I'm very inspired by electronic artists like Flume and Medasin. I'm a big fan of Medasin's chords in particular so I analyzed some of his midi files he uploaded on splice and began to create my own. From there I took the chords and ran them through into serum and played around with filters and wavtables until I got a sound I was happy with. Then I layed out the drums, because I knew I wanted something something that wasn't four to the floor and wanted a slight hip hop groove. From there on it was mapping a macro to the lfo speed and chopping up the midi to come in and stop where I liked. Pretty much everything I do is with my laptop keyboard and a mouse. I come from a guitar playing background (lessons and school) so I know basic music theory however I can't play a midi keyboard to save my life. Once I had the basic idea I just added details like layering, ambience, vocal manipulation and whatever else I was feeling at the time :)

For this track in particular, I was just so happy to finally get something down after not being able to for so long. I think because of this I got ahead of myself and didn't add much variation and released it on my Soundcloud only a few days after beginning the project. Some other details I'll add is I currently don't have monitors to mix on, so everything I am doing is in headphones until I finally get a proper interface and monitors. Current headphones are the Audio Technica ath-m50x, and I reference on my car speakers plus phone/laptop. I'll try to use visual tools like Voxengo span to keep an eye on my sub level, but I try not to rely on it completely. The sidechain was one of the things I thought to myself that I wish I would have done differently, especially during builds and intros. Mixing and mastering is still something I'm working on. I bussed my drums, bass, effects, and instruments/vocals into their own seperate groups and processed them separately. Master chain was just an TDRslickeqm>StandardClip>ozone maximizer for ISP protection.

Return to “Music Cafe”