mac vs the world

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
elxsound
KVRAF
4697 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 pm

reggie1979 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm
Deep Purple wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 am
Kongru wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am
How about this: some people like Mac and some people like Windows.
Unfortunately there are certain people here who look at things in black and white and go out of their way to give their opinion on Mac or Windows as if it is incontrovertible fact.

It would be nice to just accept that what works for one person might not work for another, but that's not going to work for the people here who would argue with a brick wall over which operating system if 'better'.
That is not the kv......forum way. Please ban!!!
There is no such thing.

KVRaudio is not real.

The cake is a lie.

jancivil
KVRAF
17912 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: mac vs the world

Post Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:31 pm

PSA: if you're having the issue I and numerous others have experienced with Mojave, everything hanging all the time, the culprit is Spotlight Indexing, which they appear to have rather botched.

Here's the fix: Disable System Integrity Protection; boot in Recovery, command/R; Utilities menu Terminal.
Type csrutil disable.

and reboot; now in regular Terminal, enter
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

(Turning it back on, do 'load' rather than 'upload' there. I never saw any use for the thing in the first place.)
This stays off, apparently.

Beats erasing the hard drive and all that shit.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7834 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Wow! I haven't had to go to those lengths to fix anything on any PC I've owned in a decade or more.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

elxsound
KVRAF
4697 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 pm

And just like that, all debates about Mac vs Windows were just over.

Wikipedia was updated to reference this same thread and the above post.

The media was alerted.

Somewhere, tears were dropped as people looked for an entirely different issue to argue about.

Done.

Deep Purple
KVRian
1125 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Post Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 pm

:hihi:
Sweet child in time...

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm

You think it's over? It's not over. It will never be over.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3801 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 pm

elxsound wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 pm
And just like that, all debates about Mac vs Windows were just over.

Wikipedia was updated to reference this same thread and the above post.

The media was alerted.

Somewhere, tears were dropped as people looked for an entirely different issue to argue about.

Done.
And it's about time!

Kongru
KVRist
400 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:31 am

Linux

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Sux!

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3294 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Kongru wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:31 am
Linux

i'm not scrolling through hours of downloads to install, only to accomplish mundane tasks, with the option of 3 software choices as the reward. sorry.

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
4961 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm

jdnz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:46 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:39 pm
I was told that the LCD panel and front glass are now one piece and that the insanity I experienced servicing the 12,2 is no more (I have not investigated this claim). What problems do you encounter servicing the newer ones?
yep, you now cut the adhesive and drop the entire screen assembly as one (and have to then stick it back in place when done - such a pain just to avoid screws)

but even once you're inside the fun doesn't end - we had to pull the ssd card from a 2015 imac (fusion drive) as it'd failed and was rendering the machine unbootable. With the display out you'd think it'd be just a simple case of pulling it but no - they decided to put the card on the BACK side of the logic board, and the way the heat pipe off the cpu is done means you need to pull ALL the internals (speakers, psu, the lot) just to get the logic board out, undo one screw and remove the ssd card

newer ones they've done it proper - flash chips soldered in, when the ssd goes bad just throw it out
Holy shit.

I HATE unserviceable/disposable electronics. There isn’t remotely enough recycling going on to even offset the harm this shit causes long term.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fmr
KVRAF
8561 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:37 am

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm
I HATE unserviceable/disposable electronics. There isn’t remotely enough recycling going on to even offset the harm this shit causes long term.
Yes... that's the Apple way of doing things (use and throw away), and their vision of "environment-friendly". :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

Deep Purple
KVRian
1125 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 am

Apple will trade-in old hardware, and you can take anything they won't accept for trade-in to an Apple store and they will recycle it. They don't actually advise anyone to throw things away.
Sweet child in time...

fmr
KVRAF
8561 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 am

Deep Purple wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 am
Apple will trade-in old hardware, and you can take anything they won't accept for trade-in to an Apple store and they will recycle it. They don't actually advise anyone to throw things away.
:lol:

I'm well aware of how Apple "recycles" their hardware. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdwDvz47lNw&t=2s
Fernando (FMR)

jancivil
KVRAF
17912 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 am

The words in scare quotes, kind of an eye-roller IME.

Just nurture that beef some more, so

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”