SONICALLY Best VST Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My top 5: Absynth 5, Iris 2, Massive X, Pigments & Serum

I'd say it's either Tails or Knuckles.

neon.

I have to admit that Massive X does sound great. The UI and usability are lacking so many ways though that I don’t even touch it. Sound wise though one of the best.

Software has a sort of issue with how it compares to hardware for a number or reasons, one being the stereo field. One thing I try to listen to, is how a soft synth is able to navigate around the stereo field. Vital does this exceptionally well because of its dedicated stereo section, and how you can modulate the stereo field with LFO's. That is my biggest problem with soft synths. You dont have to sound 100% analog, but if you cant nail the stereo field properly, everything sounds small and thin. I would say Vital takes the top spot for me, and you can replicate analog waveforms with the editor no problem. I got vital waveforms sounding identical to hardware without an issue.

I would actually like additional filters though, thats my only gripe.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:43 pm I have to admit that Massive X does sound great. The UI and usability are lacking so many ways though that I don’t even touch it. Sound wise though one of the best.
never tried massive x but thats weird cos for original massive the ui/usability was really easy

j wazza wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:16 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:43 pm I have to admit that Massive X does sound great. The UI and usability are lacking so many ways though that I don’t even touch it. Sound wise though one of the best.
never tried massive x but thats weird cos for original massive the ui/usability was really easy
MX is anything but unusable.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The question is wrong. Which is the best car? Ferrari? Hilux? It all depends what you want to use it for.
Different story if you compare certain types of vst among each other. For example I like Pigments, because I get fast to the sound I want and I like the gui. Not saying that massive X is worse, it is just personal taste.

So you have to have different tools for different tasks. Just to get the result you want in time, unless that is not important for you.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Massive X sounds good for sure. However, after a while I realized how much it relied on the samples. For example, audition the 1.3 sounds and almost all of them it is the noise samples that are the main character of the sound.

NI put together an effective and useful collection of noise samples and they are easy to use so that is a good thing. Plus the user can add their own samples, so that is cool... but seeing that the organic richness mainly comes from samples, the synthesis became less interesting for me. I can use such samples anywhere.

Never used the presets in massive x, the same goes for omnisphere.
Those both are my favourites.
🇷🇺

Pigments sound pretty great owing to its nice selection of samples.
i can't really make music

1. Massive X - needs no explanation
2. Pigments - interesting to work with
3. Spire - just sounds good

Cogency wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:44 am 1. Massive X - needs no explanation
I agree, the more interesting to work with, the sonically better it gets.
But is Pigments the most interesting to work with?
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:51 am
Cogency wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:44 am 1. Massive X - needs no explanation
I agree, the more interesting to work with, the sonically better it gets.
But is Pigments the most interesting to work with?
The modulation system makes it great. :)

Return to “Instruments”