You Took Hold of my Heart [Retro EDM] - - feedback welcome

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My first time doing my own vocals.
Some Waves Tune, a little vocoding etc etc, to try and make it sound half decent.
Wasn't sure what genre this is, maybe Retro EDM...
Feedback on improvements always welcome.
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132/you-took-hold

And video if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LY8RyQ17g

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 10

Overall - 9.5

Comments: Avenger sure sounds good. Definite 80s here. Sounds like Depeche Mode. Well done.

impressive. well done.
only quibs on this would be that ping-pong
bass that is not centered always freaks my
ears out when listening on phones.
perhaps using a monoizer plug?
or reduce the stereo spread.
and the kick was a little overcooked
to the point of distracting and drawing too much attention
from everything else. (IMO).
and finally, less verb on the brass. too much even for me, a
recovering verb addict under Dr. Frantz supreme care.
and yeah... DM for sure. :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:00 am impressive. well done.
only quibs on this would be that ping-pong
bass ...
Thanks @Wagtunes & Layzer... I'll look into that pingpong bass issue.
It may be a delay fx in the synth that might have caused it.
My last track was a Synthwave one, hence the reverbed brass influence !

I enjoyed that. You did a convincing job with your vocals. Only a couple of spots seemed too timid, out of breath or sung as if trying to keep quiet. I liked the vocoder, vocals layering and fx use. Tasteful. When I read that in your description I was expecting "we are the robots". Oh, the music was well done also.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Morgaxx wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:28 pm I enjoyed that. You did a convincing job with your vocals. Only a couple of spots seemed too timid, out of breath or sung as if trying to keep quiet. I liked the vocoder, vocals layering and fx use. Tasteful. When I read that in your description I was expecting "we are the robots". Oh, the music was well done also.
"Wir sind die roboter" :party: , ... thanks... I just read somewhere that adding a subtle amount of vocoding in the background could thicken up vocals, so I tried that. I am hoping to bump into a good vocalist in my social circles, its not improbable. I'm doing vocals now for my next track. Who knows, I might develop into a slightly-above-average vocalist. It never stopped Robbie Williams.

Really enjoyed this track, true retro EDM. Looking forward to hearing more in this style.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

Definite DM vibes when the vox come in. Processing on the vox in parts is a bit overdone for my personal tastes - I don't think you actually need to bury your vox as much as you think you do ;)

I would agree with the comment that there are some lines where you sound too timid, and don't have the conviction behind your delivery that the music demands. Probably just your lack of faith in your vocal abilities that is holding you back here.

You could - if you want to really ride that retro train - mess with the snare, and give it a bit more of that gated reverb "bang" sound. It wouldn't be out of place here. The snare is fine as is if that's the sound you like though, just more subtle than the retro stuff this is inspired by tended to be. Nothing says retro like masses of gated reverb on the snare...

Minor observation: the 4 to the floor kick thing is more of a modern evolution, but doesn't detract.

biodiode wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am Really enjoyed this track, true retro EDM. Looking forward to hearing more in this style.
Thank you : )
sjm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm Probably just your lack of faith in your vocal abilities that is holding you back here.
True. Its my first vocal track I've done. Hopefully I can grow.
sjm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm The snare is fine as is if that's the sound you like though, just more subtle than the retro stuff this is inspired by tended to be. Nothing says retro like masses of gated reverb on the snare...
Minor observation: the 4 to the floor kick thing is more of a modern evolution, but doesn't detract.
I do have a couple of Retro drum kits in my arsenal in VPS Avenger. I do like the Retro era and have influence from there, but I also wanted to make it relevant to the modern era if possible. I don't know if I can attend both parties. We'll see. :party:

Bansaw wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:07 pm I do like the Retro era and have influence from there, but I also wanted to make it relevant to the modern era if possible. I don't know if I can attend both parties. We'll see. :party:
It straddles the two quite nicely at the moment. There's obviously no right and wrong, just options for you to choose as the creator according to your vision.

The vocals are very good especially for your first time. Maybe next time you could try putting more conviction and emotion into your delivery. I see others gave similar feedback.

The backing track was minimal but effective. Although I found the bass arp a bit monotonous.

Good job overall. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”