Something similar to Wolfgang Palm's Plex synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

Do you know of any other plugin that uses a similar approach to the "restructuring synthesis" in Plex 2 ? I find this concept very interesting but unfortunately Plex is quite limited features-wise. Also, I would like to be able to load my own samples and not be limited to the factory ones.

This seems similar in some respects and probably the closest to a successor to Plex

http://wolfgangpalm.com/wm2.html

Alchemy 2 in Logic is also capable of breaking sounds down into timbral elements that can be morphed (it's actually bringing back, although in a more sophisticated form, something that was present in Alchemy's predecessor, Cameleon CA5000)

https://www.slideshare.net/StuartJones3 ... in-alchemy

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:44 am This seems similar in some respects and probably the closest to a successor to Plex
http://wolfgangpalm.com/wm2.html
Alchemy 2 in Logic is also capable of breaking sounds down into timbral elements that can be morphed (it's actually bringing back, although in a more sophisticated form, something that was present in Alchemy's predecessor, Cameleon CA5000)
https://www.slideshare.net/StuartJones3 ... in-alchemy
Thanks aMUSEd! I'll give Wavemapper a try.
Being on PC I can't get Alchemy2. :(

Would Infinite Pro not be closer? I’m not that familiar with plex though I only read the description.

Yes in some ways but WaveGenerator has a similar simplistic approach to Plex in that timbral elements can be represented and mixed using coloured 'chips'. Infinite Pro while being more powerful and having better resynthesis lacks the immediacy Plex had.

I do believe the 2 plugins can share analysed waveforms though

that reminds me, i wonder if i can find/dig out my old CA5000, wonder if it still works.... i prefered that to alchemy tbh.... sure i have it as a back up on my pc somewhere

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:47 pm Yes in some ways but WaveGenerator has a similar simplistic approach to Plex in that timbral elements can be represented and mixed using coloured 'chips'. Infinite Pro while being more powerful and having better resynthesis lacks the immediacy Plex had.
Yeah it definitely lacks immediacy. I don’t know what the hell im doing when I’m tweaking it. I don’t have a clue how to approach messing with a sound when I can change the frequency and amplitude and timbre of every partial of a sound.

Wavemapper 2 is one of my favorites... It can do some excellent morphing.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:19 am Wavemapper 2 is one of my favorites... It can do some excellent morphing.
Do you mean by loading multiple waveforms into an oscillator and then scanning from one to the other? Unfortunately the demo is time limited so I tried it a year or two ago and can’t again but have always considered getting it. Didn’t really have enough chance at the time to get dig into it. But I’ve seen some videos where it scrubs from one waveform to a completely different one beside it. Couldn't tell if it just crossfaded or actually somehow morphed the sound.

By the way does it allow assigning both pressure and timber for mpe type sounds?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 pm
Do you mean by loading multiple waveforms into an oscillator and then scanning from one to the other? Unfortunately the demo is time limited so I tried it a year or two ago and can’t again but have always considered getting it. Didn’t really have enough chance at the time to get dig into it. But I’ve seen some videos where it scrubs from one waveform to a completely different one beside it. Couldn't tell if it just crossfaded or actually somehow morphed the sound.

By the way does it allow assigning both pressure and timber for mpe type sounds?
I haven't actually done much with MPE with Wavemapper2. When I have, it has only been pitch. With Wavemapper I use it for the morphing. I record both audio and midi because it does not work the same every time. Sometimes you do something and try to repeat it and it is not the same. I don't know if that makes it buggy, or just I don't quite understand the complexities of all the shifting parameters or what.

Regarding crossfades or morphing, I think it moves the individual parameters in a linear fashion from point A to B. The result is morph like, not just an audio crossfade. The speed of change can be adjusted. It's not a bad range, but I do wish it could be even slower. I made a feature request for it.

I like to take the resulting audio from playing around moving/automating the icons and chop up my favorite bits. It does some fantastic soundscape stuff... and it is really nice for evolving plucked sounds. It is not an instant gratification synth, but it is quite unique and for me, worth the effort. Like all their synths.

Anyone still using this and is it worth the dl? It's free. And has some "bread and butter" but on steroids so you get bread butter and juice in this.

twal wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:03 am Anyone still using this and is it worth the dl? It's free. And has some "bread and butter" but on steroids so you get bread butter and juice in this.
Now I'm hungry.

Idk if Plex can be downloaded anymore without using Internet Archive, but Aparillo has a similar morphing system. You can also transition sounds in Bitwig using the instrument container.
Last edited by Korg Supporter on Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

I would love to see all the PPG synths come back. It was announced that they would when they were bought, but it has been a long time now.

Return to “Instruments”