Request to Synth Spotters

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A classic track and I have always loved this bass sound. It kicks in at 0:17.
Can anyone tell me what it might be and how to capture it? Maybe on a VST?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF6TMVkPg2k

Pretty much any VA synth can do this. Right off the top of my head I know Diva can because there are several patches that are pretty close to it already. There's nothing really special about that bass sound.

I've found things that are close but nothing that sounds exactly like this. If anyone knows of a patch that is bang on then I'd love to hear about it. Is it maybe the delay that is giving it the quality that I think makes it so awesome?

hopefulnice wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 pm I've found things that are close but nothing that sounds exactly like this. If anyone knows of a patch that is bang on then I'd love to hear about it. Is it maybe the delay that is giving it the quality that I think makes it so awesome?
You want exact? Good luck with that. You have no idea what gear they used to record it, what kind of post processing they did such as EQ, Compression, Distortion, Reverb, Delay, etc and no idea what the actual synth is that they used, which I can assure you was NOT a VST but a piece of probably expensive hardware.

There are plenty of synths that will get you close. But if close isn't good enough for you, well then I don't know what to tell you.

You're climbing down a rabbit hole you're going to regret getting into. You will never find what you're looking for.

If you try to get it exact, you probably end up having it better than the original... No, searching presets will not get you there. The sound is so simple that no professional sound designer would want to publish it...

Lol. Ok Guess I'm not asking for help around here anymore. It's funny how each forum has its own character. Some, most, are full of people who do their best to provide helpful answers. A few are dominated by people who want to let you know how dumb or ill-
informed your question is and refuse to give the slightest bit of helpful info. I mean why bother answering at all?

For example, on a snowboarding forum that I am active on, if someone who is obviously less experienced asks a question about equipment the LAST thing I am going to say to them is "Scoff, good luck with that". I'm going to try to understand what they are asking and give them all the helpful info I can. I mean look at the crap you responded with:
"That sound is so simple that no professional sound designer would want to publish it."
Lololol Oh Ok Simpson's comic book store guy.

hopefulnice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:30 pm Lol. Ok Guess I'm not asking for help around here anymore. It's funny how each forum has its own character. Some, most, are full of people who do their best to provide helpful answers. A few are dominated by people who want to let you know how dumb or ill-
informed your question is and refuse to give the slightest bit of helpful info. I mean why bother answering at all?

For example, on a snowboarding forum that I am active on, if someone who is obviously less experienced asks a question about equipment the LAST thing I am going to say to them is "Scoff, good luck with that". I'm going to try to understand what they are asking and give them all the helpful info I can. I mean look at the crap you responded with:
"That sound is so simple that no professional sound designer would want to publish it."
Lololol Oh Ok Simpson's comic book store guy.
Here's the problem my friend.

This was my original response to you.
Pretty much any VA synth can do this. Right off the top of my head I know Diva can because there are several patches that are pretty close to it already. There's nothing really special about that bass sound.
But that wasn't good enough for you. You wanted EXACT.

I tried to explain to you why getting exact was impossible and went into detail about all the things that were involved in creating the sounds you hear on a record, many of which go beyond the scope of the actual sound itself.

But that wasn't good enough for you either.

So what do you expect? When you're stubborn and refuse to accept "What you're looking for isn't possible unless you know exactly what synth they used and under what conditions that synth was processed" these are the responses that you're going to get.

I'm trying to save you time and trouble. You're going down a rabbit hole that you'll never come out of if you want EXACT. Too many variables. It is IMPOSSIBLE.

So yeah, good luck with that if you refuse to accept reality.

By all means, go search for your elusive EXACT sound and let us know how you make out with that.

Or you can get something like Diva and come up with something that is very, very close.

The choice is yours.

I suppose if you don't understand the question you're asking makes no sense then even the correct answer won't make sense either. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:41 pm I suppose if you don't understand the question you're asking makes no sense then even the correct answer won't make sense either. :wink:
It's not that the question itself doesn't make sense "How do I get this sound" it's that his criteria make answering the question impossible because matching the sound exactly is impossible. Had he asked, "Any synths that can get me close to this sound" then yeah, the question can then be answered.

Dope track. From what I can tell of the era this was produced the bass is subtractive but it’s not a simple low pass filter. My guess is two saw waves, detuned against one another, sent to a more complex filter and this is where the magic happens. I’ve heard sounds like this from parallel filters where one is low pass and the other is notch. I’ve also heard this from morphing filters, like the one in ableton synths (sampler comes to mind). A very flexible eq can get there as well. In modern software this sound is very easy to reach in additive and wavetable synths because there tends to be a very flexible interface for sculpting upper harmonics in the sound.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:46 pm It's not that the question itself doesn't make sense
This sounds like an answer to a question that makes no sense especially if we look at the question and it's criteria as a whole..... :wink:
wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:36 pm You will never find what you're looking for.
Anyway you gave the correct answer. If the OP doesn't understand that then there's nothing more you can do.

Just because the correct answer isn't what you wanted it doesn't mean you didn't get the help you wanted.
Last edited by Teksonik on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

hopefulnice wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 pm I've found things that are close but nothing that sounds exactly like this. If anyone knows of a patch that is bang on then I'd love to hear about it. Is it maybe the delay that is giving it the quality that I think makes it so awesome?
My answer is about that „If anyone knows of a patch that is bang on“... You have to design it yourself! I don‘t hear much of a filter envelope, and lots of reverb... That means its simple, I doubt that there is any complex filter involved...
If you would tell us which synths you own, someone might come up with a patch...

I would post this in the sound design forum .. people there are much more helpful .. some folks even care enough to speculate on exact settings or even post a patch, perish the thought.

hopefulnice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:30 pm Lol. Ok Guess I'm not asking for help around here anymore.
That's great, since you were asking for help in the wrong forum. The Instruments forum (where you posted) has a sticky at the top that reads:
Guess the Synth threads: post them in Soundware, not Instruments
And what did you do? Make a Guess the Synth thread in Instruments. Just head over to the Soundware forum and try again.

Return to “Sound Design”