What kind of effect is this?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
joshuas
KVRer
8 posts since 11 Dec, 2016

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Hey guys, I've been searching for an effect, that is used on a bass line in a techno track.

The track is Purple Noise by Boris Brejcha. I first thought this was just some messing around with lowpass filter cutoff and resonance but there has to be something else.

The bass line slowly changes at 1:39 (1st time the effect appears). You can clearly hear the effect at 06:05 with pitch variations. What kind of effect (or combination of multiple effects) is used here? Or is it even a completely new synth patch? If so, could anyone please give some instructions on how to achieve this?

thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvzz1ePBjQ

yellowmix
KVRian
965 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from morf frmo omfr form romf

Re: What kind of effect is this?

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Sounds like a different patch, but who knows, since the bass filters out the top end and the different/morphed version filters out the bottom. Could be a morphing LP/HP filter, could be faded in and out.

phoenixdenim45
KVRer
6 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from seattle

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am

Cool track! To me it sounds like just a distorted HP filter. I'm thinking that the resonance is coming more from the distortion harmonics post filter than the filter itself, but I'm guessing. After the 6:05 section he's got the resonance tuned to a specific frequency that fits with the track...pretty cool. You could probably get something like that with Fabfilter Volcano and/or Saturn.

joshuas
KVRer
8 posts since 11 Dec, 2016

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks a lot, i will try that out!

Are you able to tell me how the Main Synth Patch is made (The one that is there from the beginning, not the Bassline)?
I would Really like to make something similar!

Return to “Production Techniques”