Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2271 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm

First of all , why is the previoius topic closed ?
Imho no kvr rules were broken .

At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble

Why would that be any different with the new forthcoming euroreakt stuff ?
Unless you are inteentionally locking the whole core structure

On a side note , the only reason why ensembles had such ridiculous size is because of the included png files , I've been asking for vector graphics for years in the same vein as max msp etc ...N.I> just doesn't care about that
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD
12296 posts since 21 Jun, 2008

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:14 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
First of all , why is the previoius topic closed ?
The thread starter locked it himself.

chk071
KVRAF
22435 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Looks like OP got mad about NI, and decided to lock the thread. ;)

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2271 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Well I can totally relate to him
I've been using reaktor for over 15 years now , and the direction they are heading now is really sad .

All the changes in 6.3 are just to attract new people , with a half baked patch cable system
They could have totally re-designed the interface and opted for vector graphics , added a codebox for reaktor core , launch it as a new program if must be .
But no , another layer of blocks that both work in rack view and ensemble with minor differences ...
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

thelizard
KVRian
1290 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble
Euro Reakt will remain hackable. The old User Library version will remain as-is. I don't plan on ever taking that down.

To open up Blocks (including the new Blocks Base), you have to be in Ensemble mode (i.e., Build when you first open Reaktor, or New Ensemble from the file menu). Then, select the Library tab. All of the new Blocks will show up there. Some of NI's blocks have always been locked (Monark, Driver, etc.), but I just opened up the Modern Comb Filter from Blocks Prime and looked at all the core stuff.

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
25051 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Reaktor Player stand-alone instantly crashes here on Windows 10. It's been like that for a while. Same problem with current update. Have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times. Anybody know what to do apart from trying to contact support? It seems to work in Ableton Live 10 as a VSTi.
Hi-de-Hi!

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7273 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 pm

thelizard wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble
Euro Reakt will remain hackable. The old User Library version will remain as-is. I don't plan on ever taking that down.

To open up Blocks (including the new Blocks Base), you have to be in Ensemble mode (i.e., Build when you first open Reaktor, or New Ensemble from the file menu). Then, select the Library tab. All of the new Blocks will show up there. Some of NI's blocks have always been locked (Monark, Driver, etc.), but I just opened up the Modern Comb Filter from Blocks Prime and looked at all the core stuff.
So if you make an adjustment to one of the rack compatible blocks like in the Blocks base group while in ensemble mode and save that ism file, does it still work in rack mode with the changes saved?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

thelizard
KVRian
1290 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 pm
thelizard wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble
Euro Reakt will remain hackable. The old User Library version will remain as-is. I don't plan on ever taking that down.

To open up Blocks (including the new Blocks Base), you have to be in Ensemble mode (i.e., Build when you first open Reaktor, or New Ensemble from the file menu). Then, select the Library tab. All of the new Blocks will show up there. Some of NI's blocks have always been locked (Monark, Driver, etc.), but I just opened up the Modern Comb Filter from Blocks Prime and looked at all the core stuff.
So if you make an adjustment to one of the rack compatible blocks like in the Blocks base group while in ensemble mode and save that ism file, does it still work in rack mode with the changes saved?
Yes, the Rack files simply reference the saved ism files, which is why the Racks are so small. This made it a lot easier to do Euro Reakt bug fixes, as I didn't need to update each .ens file (In the User Library Euro Reakt, most of the .ens files have wildly out-of-date Blocks compared to the rest of the folder).

WasteLand
KVRist
369 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:57 pm

thelizard wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 pm
thelizard wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble
Euro Reakt will remain hackable. The old User Library version will remain as-is. I don't plan on ever taking that down.

To open up Blocks (including the new Blocks Base), you have to be in Ensemble mode (i.e., Build when you first open Reaktor, or New Ensemble from the file menu). Then, select the Library tab. All of the new Blocks will show up there. Some of NI's blocks have always been locked (Monark, Driver, etc.), but I just opened up the Modern Comb Filter from Blocks Prime and looked at all the core stuff.
So if you make an adjustment to one of the rack compatible blocks like in the Blocks base group while in ensemble mode and save that ism file, does it still work in rack mode with the changes saved?
Yes, the Rack files simply reference the saved ism files, which is why the Racks are so small. This made it a lot easier to do Euro Reakt bug fixes, as I didn't need to update each .ens file (In the User Library Euro Reakt, most of the .ens files have wildly out-of-date Blocks compared to the rest of the folder).
if understand correctly you gonna update euro reakt, or better make a rack version for it?

i understand the frustration, and even if own reaktor a long time, it is quite recently that i delve in to it, it is easier than i thought.. and i have many paths to play with, it is also the timing, that i want to master reaktor, playing around with other stuff had great results, but with every step, you want master more techniques.
so the frustration for me is lesser.

but the great user blocks, are great! it isn't a problem to use them in the "old" way, but the rack way, is faster, for playing around. and for me i am that level, i am looking at the core things, also in m4l, i can understand it, but it is the balance making music and learning a technique. i take my time, i develop it parrallel. music and technique... i am not the clear, i think.

because of the other thread that is closed, it is somewhat confusing.

but i hope that euro reakt gets a rack version. and i like hetrick modules (VM..), and from reaktor.

if am not clear, it is because i try too fast, things in reaktor now.

EDIT: and perhaps and i understand it completely, i hope this thread will focus on the possibilities, within the limits of reaktor.
so we can learn instead of discuss (discussion about how to is something else). i plea!

EDIT: there is another thread with the answers; a euro reakt rack version is on it's way. thanks!
Last edited by WasteLand on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
win 10 pro; cubase 10.5 pro, live 10 suite (+push 2), reaper, arturia V collection 6, reason 10, maschine (mk3+jam), korg collection, komplete 11 ultimate, softube modular, VM and many more..
https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
18981 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:25 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
I've been asking for vector graphics for years in the same vein as max msp etc ...N.I> just doesn't care about that
Ever dealt with a 20+ years old codebase? From product management point of view, would you do a high effort low turnaround solution rather than the other way around?

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31119 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 am

thelizard wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 pm
thelizard wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
At michael Hetrick , what do you mean the new (euroreakt)rack will be closed , do you mean the core cells ?
The new ( patch ready ) blocks can still be opened in normal structure and ensemble view , front panel patching and saveable as an ensemble
Euro Reakt will remain hackable. The old User Library version will remain as-is. I don't plan on ever taking that down.

To open up Blocks (including the new Blocks Base), you have to be in Ensemble mode (i.e., Build when you first open Reaktor, or New Ensemble from the file menu). Then, select the Library tab. All of the new Blocks will show up there. Some of NI's blocks have always been locked (Monark, Driver, etc.), but I just opened up the Modern Comb Filter from Blocks Prime and looked at all the core stuff.
So if you make an adjustment to one of the rack compatible blocks like in the Blocks base group while in ensemble mode and save that ism file, does it still work in rack mode with the changes saved?
Yes, the Rack files simply reference the saved ism files, which is why the Racks are so small. This made it a lot easier to do Euro Reakt bug fixes, as I didn't need to update each .ens file (In the User Library Euro Reakt, most of the .ens files have wildly out-of-date Blocks compared to the rest of the folder).
That's pretty smart

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2271 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:43 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:25 am
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm
I've been asking for vector graphics for years in the same vein as max msp etc ...N.I> just doesn't care about that
Ever dealt with a 20+ years old codebase? From product management point of view, would you do a high effort low turnaround solution rather than the other way around?
No I haven't , but what cycling 74 did when going from max 4.5 to 5.0 is what N.I. should have done a long time ago .
Making the user experience a lot more friendlier by tackling the underlying gui codebase .
I am not saying they should have adopted the juce framework , but just adding these additional layers of
rack blocks while still keeping the 20 year old gui system is imho not verry future proof .
I am certainly not the only one feeling that way.

Other then that , crucial things like triplet timing for the util block have never been updated by N.I. , an sich that's not a problem since the U.L . has got you covered .
I am updating the util clock to do triplets for the rack standard , but in al honousty that is really the job of N.I.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2271 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 am

And noppes , reaktor doesn't let us load modified rack blocks in the rack eco system , however they do load in regular ensemble structures .
but that means no advantage of a smaller preset system , and no coloured patch cables
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

chk071
KVRAF
22435 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:31 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:09 pm
Well I can totally relate to him
I've been using reaktor for over 15 years now , and the direction they are heading now is really sad .

All the changes in 6.3 are just to attract new people , with a half baked patch cable system
I don't think so. As far as i'm concerned, there often have been voices here which asked for patch cables. Whether or not they are right is a different thing.

User avatar
Deep Purple
KVRian
1108 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Re: Let's talk reaktor 6.3

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:47 am

chk071 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:31 am
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:09 pm
Well I can totally relate to him
I've been using reaktor for over 15 years now , and the direction they are heading now is really sad .

All the changes in 6.3 are just to attract new people , with a half baked patch cable system
I don't think so. As far as i'm concerned, there often have been voices here which asked for patch cables. Whether or not they are right is a different thing.
I can imagine that attracting new customers and addressing something that existing users have asked for is considered a good thing from NI's point of view.

It looks fine to me - works as cables do on any other system, and to be honest I think it will make it more likely that I'll open Reaktor to quickly mock up something modular.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”