Connecting/daisy chaining multiple mixers

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I own a Behringer RX1602
https://www.thomann.de/dk/behringer_rx1 ... emixer.htm
and I'm in definite need of more inputs! My idea is to get another RX1602 and ending up having 32 inputs instead of 16. Can this be done and are there any pitfalls going about it like that in terms of hiss, noise etc?
Are there any other easy and affordable way to get more outputs besides daisy chaining. My current RX1602 goes into my sound card i(Focusrite Scarlet 6i6) and I'm on a Windows10 PC.

Sure you can. But noise gets added up. And you won't have the benefit of shared buses (aux sends, main/alt outputs)
Plus you'll scratch your head all the time: was this plugged into mixer 1 or 2?

Maybe look for a bigger mixer, or a patch bay is another option if you don't have all the channels active all the time.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: if you don't have all the channels active all the time.
That was what I was hoping I could. A patch bay might be another way to go if the whole thing gets too noisy then.

Do you use the mon/FX busses much?

You speak of more inputs but near the end mention more outputs. Was that a typo or do you also need more outputs?

If you mainly need 32 in and 2 out capability and don't use the the mon/FX sends much, then you could get pretty good noise performance by patching the main output of mixer 1 into an FX return bus on mixer 2 then route mixer 2 main output to your sound card input.

That would be a line level stacking and would not add ridiculous extra noise, and wouldn't even give up any of your current inputs unless you are already using all your FX returns and the tape return. Stacking with the tape return ought to work about as good as an FX return.

You could adjust the main master of mixer 1 and input levels of the return on mixer 2, then put a piece of painters tape by the controls and Mark the position, so that all the inputs of either mixer are equally sensitive at mixer 2 output, and use mixer 2 output as your master for all 32 channels input. You could also get a few extra channels using the FX and tape returns of both mixers if you don't need them for actual FX boxes or tape players, radios, mp3 players or whatever.

There would be other ways to wire it. Depending on what you want to do it could be very convenient, or unworkably kludgy, just depending on what you expect it to do, how you want to work.

I have 2 submixers connected to my main mixer ... one connects to a stereo channel, the other to an fx return. I've not noticed any noise problems.

Do you use the mon/FX busses much?
Not at all :)

Looks like I'm gonna go with submixing then 8)

Another option is a line mixer. Fewer features than a desk but you can rack 'em up. I got a Samson SM10 for my rack mount synths and sampler. It has gain control, PFL/Muting, panning & 2 aux sends per channel as well as phantom power and 3 lots of audio outputs.

I wasn't aware of Samson (the brand) but that Samson SM10 looks nice and a bit like my Behringer. I suppose I could dasiy chain those and use one of them as a sub mixer? If so, it looks like a contender for sure :)

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:34 pm Another option is a line mixer. Fewer features than a desk but you can rack 'em up. I got a Samson SM10 for my rack mount synths and sampler. It has gain control, PFL/Muting, panning & 2 aux sends per channel as well as phantom power and 3 lots of audio outputs.
I was going to recommend something similar, then I saw what your current mixer is and I reckon the way to go is to just buy another one of those. No need to daisy-chain/sub-mix anything, either, as you can just plug both pairs of outputs into your Scarlett 6i6.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

^ what Bones said.
If you need to play everything without the computer/interface, it might be better to run one mixer as a sub into one main mixer, otherwise, use the interface as a master mixer and treat the 2 real mixers as sub mixers.

I have not heard Samson stuff in decades. It is kind of a self-fulfulling feedback loop because everything Samson I saw many years ago was terrible so I never ever considered it since. Automatically ruled out of consideration because earlier samson stuff sucked so bad.

Maybe some of the modern Samson gadgets are better dunno don't care. Thought I heard it was a generic outlet brand name owned by Sam Ash music stores but maybe that is wrong.

JCJR wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 pmI heard it was a generic outlet brand name owned by Sam Ash music stores but maybe that is wrong.
The Samson, Hartke and Zoom companies are interconnected. I see no direct relationship with Sam Ash :shrug:

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:37 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:34 pm Another option is a line mixer. Fewer features than a desk but you can rack 'em up. I got a Samson SM10 for my rack mount synths and sampler. It has gain control, PFL/Muting, panning & 2 aux sends per channel as well as phantom power and 3 lots of audio outputs.
I was going to recommend something similar, then I saw what your current mixer is and I reckon the way to go is to just buy another one of those. No need to daisy-chain/sub-mix anything, either, as you can just plug both pairs of outputs into your Scarlett 6i6.
Could it really be that easy! :dog: :hihi: - but come to think of it, it does make a lot of sense. However, the 6i6 only have two inputs. Wouldn't I need four inputs to use two non-connected mixers?

K-Bee wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:02 am the 6i6 only have two inputs.
No, there's one pair at the front with combo-jacks and another pair (3-4) with TRS on the back

BertKoor wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:42 pm
K-Bee wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:02 am the 6i6 only have two inputs.
No, there's one pair at the front with combo-jacks and another pair (3-4) with TRS on the back

4 inputs for sure ...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”