daunn & Koah - Masada

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
canaden
KVRer
12 posts since 23 Feb, 2016

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:34 am

https://soundcloud.com/daunnmusic/kurai-koah-masada


Most recent track, its an experimental track with a focus on vocal sample manipulation. Mix isn't the greatest becauseI was limited to mixing on headphones (audio technica ath-m50x's). Finally purchased some decent monitors and a sound card so I'm looking forward to improving :)

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15555 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: daunn & Koah - Masada

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:39 am

My Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments - 10
Performance - 9
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.5

Comments: Way too much compression. Interesting sounds. Musically, I keep waiting for it to go somewhere but it never really does. Sounds more like a backing track. At least it's not boring. There's enough going on in the arrangement to keep it interesting, especially since it was kept under 4 minutes. All in all, I enjoyed listening to this because the synth sounds are really cool.

Morgaxx
KVRist
444 posts since 29 Feb, 2004 from Toronto

Re: daunn & Koah - Masada

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:13 pm

I enjoyed your track. Fell in nicely with my own private little 420 session (though its all good in Canadabis 8) so its not needed as a statement anymore) Nice chilled feel with an energized modern production.

So :tu:
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

canaden
KVRer
12 posts since 23 Feb, 2016

Re: daunn & Koah - Masada

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:56 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:39 am
My Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments - 10
Performance - 9
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.5

Comments: Way too much compression. Interesting sounds. Musically, I keep waiting for it to go somewhere but it never really does. Sounds more like a backing track. At least it's not boring. There's enough going on in the arrangement to keep it interesting, especially since it was kept under 4 minutes. All in all, I enjoyed listening to this because the synth sounds are really cool.
Appreciate the feedback! I agree I could have added some more variation to the second half of the song. Part of that was me being lazy and wanting to finish the track before exams but I'll keep that in mind for future tracks. I struggle with getting over the hump of creating the second half of the track. I;m Glad you enjoyed the synths and the sound design as that was my favourite part of writing this track.

canaden
KVRer
12 posts since 23 Feb, 2016

Re: daunn & Koah - Masada

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:57 am

Morgaxx wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:13 pm
I enjoyed your track. Fell in nicely with my own private little 420 session (though its all good in Canadabis 8) so its not needed as a statement anymore) Nice chilled feel with an energized modern production.

So :tu:
Glad you enjoyed! cheers from a fellow canadian :)

frank1985
KVRist
120 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from Uk

Re: daunn & Koah - Masada

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm

I enjoyed that...very chill.

Are those all samples, or just the vocals?

canaden
KVRer
12 posts since 23 Feb, 2016

Re: daunn & Koah - Masada

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:42 pm

frank1985 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm
I enjoyed that...very chill.

Are those all samples, or just the vocals?
The only midi instruments that aren't samplers that I remember are the reese bass (diva), the piano (ableton packs), and the alternating tonal percussion in the chorus (ableton analog). Everything else is either a sampler playing something created in a sample altering sound design session, or messing around different sounds through abletons various warp modes and then running through some odd plugin chains.

The chorus was basically the result of taking a 30 second vocal sample, choppingup the vowels , then warping in ableton through grainsize/pitch/formant/stretching, adding filters and lfos, and then other things like bitcrushers, distortions, erosion and such. Then the parts that sounds good are taken and rearranged and continued to be altered to get a nice rhythm :)

lwj
KVRist
112 posts since 3 Feb, 2018

Re: daunn & Koah - Masada

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 am

Very cool. Normally this kind of laid back dubstep type stuff just bores the crap out of me.. but this kept me engaged. I think it's sagging a bit before the kinda-drop around 1:17, but that's a really good moment. It doesn't sound very experimental to me though, but that could just be me, and it's not a criticism by any means. It reminds me a bit of a laidback Ranking Records track.

Return to “Music Cafe”