The approach to writing this kind of music.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Phaza
KVRer
2 posts since 7 May, 2019

Post Tue May 07, 2019 12:14 am

Helo everyone. I want to know what is the approach to writing music like this. I understand how to produce music which based on melodies or full vocal song, but producing this kind of music is still incomprehensible for me. I mean techno, tribal, minimal etc. Is it worth starting from rhytm (bass, drums) or better to find some vocal samples or simple melodies? If you can share your thougts maybe it will help me to undestand. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7htGe11mUE4

zicolafaille
KVRer
2 posts since 7 May, 2018

Re: The approach to writing this kind of music.

Post Thu May 09, 2019 10:58 pm

Hello,
For me, the best advice would be not to ask for it.
Start by getting some elements and see what you can do. Go ahead and do it. Do as you usually do.
You're the one who knows how you work. We can't decide for you.

trewq
KVRist
301 posts since 24 Nov, 2008

Post Sun May 12, 2019 8:58 am

Only they would know how they did it.

But the beat could have possibly begun as just a chance occurrence, like if they were using controls to manipulate how an existing beat generates (triggers and filters) another beat. Not to say that it would sound derivative at all.

qgg
KVRer
6 posts since 9 Apr, 2019

Post Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 am

The truth is that there are no rules - but here is a suggestion: Since this track is so rhythm-based, it makes sense if you start with rhythm, too. Instead of developing melody and harmony like in a traditional songwriting manner, see how you can develop and combine rhythms to create an engaging track. Then add harmonic and melodic elements to keep it interesting.

deastman
KVRAF
7103 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 am

This kind of music is basically all one loop, a few bars long, with lots and lots of layers. You bring layers in and out over time l, triggering them, muting them, fading them, and bringing effects in and out. That’s really all there is to it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

Functional
KVRist
453 posts since 26 Oct, 2011

Post Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 am

Pretty much what was said above. Not easy to pull off, but that's how you do this stuff. Make a 4 bar to 8 bar loop primarily focusing on drums and bass with one or more slightly melodic elements that are repeating and then just build the whole track like that.

Phaza
KVRer
2 posts since 7 May, 2019

Post Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Thank you, guys. I just have a classical music education, and used to rely on harmony and melody. But now I try myself in this music direction, and regarding your advice, I think this is the right approach to start from the rhytm if you obviously do not have some kind of melodic idea before you sit down and write something in this genre. Now I try to start from the rhythm and only then create looped melodic structures. But in fact it is more difficult than it seems at first sight.

lilmartianonthebeat
KVRer
10 posts since 20 May, 2019

Post Thu May 23, 2019 6:58 am

Honestly, a great way to get into learning a new style genre is just to transcribe. I haven't found anything more helpful. I try to pick a few songs from a style, then transcribe 1 element (just drums, just a melody, just a chord progression etc..) from each. Compare and you should start to see some commonalities and patterns emerge.

For something like the track above, try to listen through and just identify the different layers that are playing and what their function is (i.e. mostly based around a hand percussion loop, there's a vocal one-shot that changes A B A C).

You can also transcribe just form - how many bars before each new loop? Are there several drum pattern variations or just one?

I think it's helpful to just focus on one element when transcribing, so it doesn't turn into trying to recreate the track. Once you have some elements transcribed from the style you like, try making a beat or pattern using just 1 or 2 of the elements (for example, try just making a beat around a hand percussion loop and see where it goes, or maybe try to make a beat that using a similar layering pattern). I'm very much a kinesthetic learner, so I always need to DO to understand something.

There are several different sections in this beat too, you could almost analyze it like you might analyze sonata allegro form or something along those lines.
not really a martian - not really from here. tryin to learn everything I can about how humans make music.

FL20 and Live 10

Return to “Music Theory”