Making IRs

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, this-kind-of thread may already exist, but I will update:
- the equipment you use (all)
- best results: your points
- IR formats you use
- (true)stereo vs. mono
- the convolution verb(s) you use most

(wish the Forum is correct, if not, mod pls move it).
:phones:

Though you “sample” a space I’d say it belongs to the effects...
I used Waves IR-L and Apple Space Designer. For recording an IR the Apple Impulse Response Utility is fine. Though the neighbors complained about the sweep when I sampled a church in France...
I had two speakers set up and two mics. That way I could sample all variants...

What kind of speakers and mics are people using? It seems to me that the speakers could potentially play a big role in the sound which is ultimately captured, but I never hear them mentioned.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Yes, they definitely do. In Altiverb, the IRs usually list the monitors used (along with the mics, converters, etc. that all color the signal in their own special ways).

How about IRs of hardware reverbs? Probably much easier to just play a sweep into the input?

My brother's got some old analog one, a reel to reel recorder and some other old hardware that might be worth IRing.

A soon you have non linearities like distortion/saturation it will not replicate that correctly... Reverb is a linear effect...

OK, does that mean analog hardware reverbs have enough saturation etc. for it to make this not worth it?

- live ambiencies you have modelled by the IR?
- mic types and positions for those?
- do you record a reference track?
- impulse sweep: clapperboard, pop a balloon, other?

DSmolken wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 pm OK, does that mean analog hardware reverbs have enough saturation etc. for it to make this not worth it?
dunno about that, but vortex did some telefunken shortwave radio noise, that was useful on a few different things.
i noticed people using it for that denise audio noise thing, i use it in samplers for hits n such occasionally.

i guess im saying noises from different equipments can be useful :tu:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”