Browser tree navigation (with added pictures!)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have searched the Shortcuts in Settings but haven't found anything.

I am trying to find the keystroke that will jump the cursor in the browser tree to the parent node. Once at the parent node one can press <enter> to collapse or expand the node, but when one has scrolled through a large number of child nodes, it's a bit of a pain to have to cursor up repeatedly to reach the parent node. I'm sure there must be a single shortcut to do this but I cannot figure out what it is.
Last edited by carlca on Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

Okay, after a disappointing response to my question, I have decided to enhance the question with a picture!

How do I get from the highlighted entry in the list (Riemann Techno Perc Loops) to the parent node (Loops [WAV]) with just one keystroke? Is it even possible?

Just by hitting Tab? that's how it works most of the time in such scenarios
EDIT: Use tab to jump from search field to lower section where you browse Location, then use Left or Right arrows to get to file list and back

A reasonable answer, but sadly not the answer to the question I asked. I already knew about the tab key to get to the list below. I was asking how to get to the parent node. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

You use the arrow key, there is no short cut for what you want, pretty sure...

Thank for the reply. That's what I was afraid of!

carlca wrote: ↑Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 am Thank for the reply. That's what I was afraid of!
Not fully what you are asking for, but you can use the Home key to go to the top node. Normally it is faster from there.

moss wrote: ↑Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am
carlca wrote: ↑Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 am Thank for the reply. That's what I was afraid of!
Not fully what you are asking for, but you can use the Home key to go to the top node. Normally it is faster from there.
Not quite the same, but good to know, thanks. I guess that part of the problem is that Bitwig have used a non-standard, (presumably) Java based UI element for the tree component, rather than a standard macOS/Cocoa/Carbon one (other, lesser OS's are available πŸ˜‰). I've posted a tweet about this. We'll see if @bitwig respond...

I miss this too. But they are an idiosyncratic bunch but I am learning to appreciate the way they re-think conventions. I used to dislike the browser, but the more I work with it the more I start to appreciate the odd way they have chosen to navigate it. Still I agree there is great value in standard navigation throughout your OS.
I also once had questions about the browser (how to open folders, normally that is done with right arrow key). And I asked them about remapping the arrow keys. They are mapped multiple times throughout Bitwig for numerous functions like the browser. But you cannot change them (well you can delete them but then you lose that mapping because you cannot make a new one without deleting another... just try (backup your key command file!)). Mapping key commands to multiple (non conflicting) functions is not possible to do as a user. They are thinking about this they said, so this might enable you to map it the way you want (assuming they add "up to parent folder"). But I bet this is low on their prio list.
My workaround for you issue is I have my repeat delay set to minimum and repeat time to max so my cursor moves up very quickly. Not ideal and overall I would still prefer the macOS convention.

Return to β€œBitwig”