what is your fantasy hardware?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben H wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:22 am
Is it a hardware version of Synplant?
Heh, maybe... I like the little case more than anything. Not $300 worth though.

@ goldenanalog I don't know if you realize, but you can rack and polychain the slim phattys. gorgeous sound,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yhRJE89V70

Dasheesh wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:48 am @ goldenanalog I don't know if you realize, but you can rack and polychain the slim phattys. gorgeous sound,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yhRJE89V70
Whoa! I didn't know that! Very cool, Dasheesh! :tu:

You know what? this thread reminded me that I figured out how to polyrack "the legend" in reaper and what do you know? I still have the templet saved. Doesn't sound quite the same, and patching all 6 legends is kind of a bitch, but not so difficult that I can't do it. I've got 6 poly chained legends going :)

KBSoundSmith wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:08 pm Well given that restriction, something like a Montage or an SY99. The complete package of the Montage is appealing, but I think the FM engine in the SY99 is more interesting than FM-X.
I just got a TG77 and it's absolutely lovely. It makes me want an SY99 even more, although the maker of the SY Editor owns one of each and says they don't sound the same, each having their strong points. My experience between the 77 and the Montage is the 77 has some incredibly complex and interesting sounds but also many terrible ones, whereas every sound in the Montage is great. However, I would choose the 77 over the Montage if I were trying to replace my DX7.
honestly, even something like the Roland RD-2000 or some other stage piano with nice key action would be nice as an alternative.
FWIW, Roland FA keyboards now have all the SRX and JV80 expansions available by download.

justin3am wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:03 pm I have most of my fantasy synths (Quantum and Shared System).
Excellent! I was going to say that the Quantum is at the top of my list. I'm waiting to mod my DSS-1 so I can pretend that it's a baby version. ;)

lotus2035 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:52 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:44 pmow my back :o
Schwarzenegger's new catchphrase.
:hihi:

spunkmuffin wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm My first impulse is to say a wall of eurorack. But if I had that there is no way I would or could use more than a tiny fraction at a time. It might become kind of depressing to look at. I see deadmau5 using his banks of modular and he only uses a handful at a time.

Nope, I still have heaps to learn & explore in software...and it doesn't take up space and I never have to pack it or move it or look at it if I don't want to.

Having said that, why do I keep watching youtube reviews of modules????? :dog:
This is very true. Probably 3/4 of my modular never gets used at all anymore, and when I do make a patch, I’m typically only using maybe 5-8 modules at a time. That might come down to my working methods, which usually involve more of a multitracking approach. I have no need or desire to create a Richard Devine style spaghetti mess of patch cables.

As for my dream hardware, I’d still like a Quantum, a Solaris, a Schmidt, a large Buchla system, and a Kyma.

Oh, and whatever crazy and amazing new toy comes out next that I don’t even know about yet. (I’m definitely getting a Pulsar-23 and I’m having an internal debate over the pros and cons of the Motor Synth).
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:52 am You know what? this thread reminded me that I figured out how to polyrack "the legend" in reaper and what do you know? I still have the templet saved. Doesn't sound quite the same, and patching all 6 legends is kind of a bitch, but not so difficult that I can't do it. I've got 6 poly chained legends going :)
Awesome, Dasheesh! Sounds like a lot of fun!

deastman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:23 am
spunkmuffin wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm My first impulse is to say a wall of eurorack. But if I had that there is no way I would or could use more than a tiny fraction at a time. It might become kind of depressing to look at. I see deadmau5 using his banks of modular and he only uses a handful at a time.

Nope, I still have heaps to learn & explore in software...and it doesn't take up space and I never have to pack it or move it or look at it if I don't want to.

Having said that, why do I keep watching youtube reviews of modules????? :dog:
This is very true. Probably 3/4 of my modular never gets used at all anymore, and when I do make a patch, I’m typically only using maybe 5-8 modules at a time. That might come down to my working methods, which usually involve more of a multitracking approach. I have no need or desire to create a Richard Devine style spaghetti mess of patch cables.

As for my dream hardware, I’d still like a Quantum, a Solaris, a Schmidt, a large Buchla system, and a Kyma.

Oh, and whatever crazy and amazing new toy comes out next that I don’t even know about yet. (I’m definitely getting a Pulsar-23 and I’m having an internal debate over the pros and cons of the Motor Synth).
*If* you can work on your own equipment, using bench testing stuff and a soldering iron: put Arturia's Origin on the list - they can be bought at times for not too terribly much - if you get one thats somewhat hosed for cheap it just may be a big score for you - Arturia was kind enough to put *all* of the docs up for the machine, so it harbors no secrets -

Replace the pots & encoders (you can actually replace anything because you got the docs et al) and the machine tightens up considerably - there was *a lot* that went into the algos that reside inside - it is proof positive just how good Arturia can be.

Half-baked, for sure. Some bugs that will probably be with it forever. But id own 10 of them if i could - especially if i could score them for less then a grand each.

Really a unique look

Dasheesh wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:52 am You know what? this thread reminded me that I figured out how to polyrack "the legend" in reaper and what do you know? I still have the templet saved. Doesn't sound quite the same, and patching all 6 legends is kind of a bitch, but not so difficult that I can't do it. I've got 6 poly chained legends going :)
Why? The Legend is already polyphonic, you don't need to polychain it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:34 pm
Why? The Legend is already polyphonic, you don't need to polychain it.
:lol:

What's the point in polychaining a VSTi though? They're polyphonic, and you can even set up MIDI routing with other plugins so that you can play several instances at the same time.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”