Townsend Labs Sphere L22 Questions

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Psuper
KVRist
188 posts since 3 May, 2018

Post Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm close to buying this, however...

I have a Discrete 4 interface. Absolutely incredible Pres, that's about it, but I love those pres, so not gonna change for now. I want the L22 over the Edge because the numerous shootouts I've heard and read, pretty clear L22 is the winner. Plus I can't stand Antelope Interfaces, guis, registrations, and have zero faith in their future-proofing technology, they just bang something out and off onto another product.

But I keep seeing that If you have a Sphere L22, you can get far more models to play with with an UAD Apollo interface. I feel that modeling is the entire reason you get one of these mics, even if the stock mic and models are solid, and feels like I'd be missing out on a slew of tech.

Is this a deal breaker?
Anyone have an L22 but not a UAD interface that can chime in?
Reason needs to DAW: Props develop the back-end, SDK, performance, options, GUI (no one else can). RE devs develop the now-expanding playground, we choose the rides. If Props insists on making devices, put them in the RE shop. All problems solved.

dusted william
KVRAF
4776 posts since 18 Dec, 2000

Re: Townsend Labs Sphere L22 Questions

Post Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 pm

I have the L22 and uad, but not a uad soundcard. As far as the uad models for the sheer go, I think they are superior especially the Sony. I can’t compare to the real thing though.

Psuper
KVRist

Post Fri May 17, 2019 4:23 am

dusted william wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 pm
I have the L22 and uad, but not a uad soundcard. As far as the uad models for the sheer go, I think they are superior especially the Sony. I can’t compare to the real thing though.
But there's no way to get/purchase the additional models without having an Apollo correct?
Reason needs to DAW: Props develop the back-end, SDK, performance, options, GUI (no one else can). RE devs develop the now-expanding playground, we choose the rides. If Props insists on making devices, put them in the RE shop. All problems solved.

dusted william
KVRAF

Post Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 am

I don't have an apollo, I have a UAD card. I can use the additional models, but not without latency.

Psuper
KVRist

Post Fri May 17, 2019 6:52 pm

dusted william wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 am
I don't have an apollo, I have a UAD card. I can use the additional models, but not without latency.
I have Thunderbolt so latency, theoretically, shouldn't be an issue, and since you can change them after recording, I'd be fine with latency as long as I can use the additional models.. however I have a Discrete 4 and I'm still not clear if I'd be able to purchase and use the additional models.

dusted william
KVRAF

Post Fri May 17, 2019 8:10 pm

You can only use the UAD stuff if you have some sort of UAD card.

Uncle E
KVRAF
10737 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Psuper wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:52 pm
I have Thunderbolt so latency, theoretically, shouldn't be an issue, and since you can change them after recording, I'd be fine with latency as long as I can use the additional models.
The latency would be dictated by the UAD device. It's far too much for real-time use but, like you said, you can just track dry and apply the models after recording.

FWIW, the Slate VMS can be used realtime without severe latency because it is native.

Scotty
KVRAF
1758 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Sat May 18, 2019 12:22 am

The plugin adds 0.5 milliseconds (yes that is ms not seconds) of latency beyond the latency incurred by your ASIO audio card settings.... I routinely tracks through a pair of L22s at 32 samples through the plugin (via RME audio card and preamps) and it isn't a problem at all. You don't need UAD hardware to use the microphones. I don't have an Apollo interface but I do own UAD-2 cards and have purchased the extra models packs. They are nice for sure but not necessary. My Neumman u87i (real) and u47 (clones) don't get out of their boxes these days. I have been using the L22s since they were available... Serial number 0003 on one of them (Indiegogo campaign).
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

Psuper
KVRist

Post Sat May 18, 2019 5:52 am

Really appreciate your posts guys, and thanks for the additional explanation Scotty.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”