Cubase Drum Map Setup and Other Questions.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First of all, I have been going back and forth with both Steinberg and XLN Audio, with no success. I am more than a little annoyed at this point.

This is what I am trying to do. ADD2 has its own map that doesn't conform to GM MIDI. The ADD map begins on C1 and goes to A#4. I want to eliminate all of the lanes up to C1 and after A#4, but I can't figure out how to do this. I've read the manual, and I've tried various menu choices, but the closest thing I can come to is just 'show lanes with notes' as long as I have notes for every articulation and cymbal mute.

'Show Drum Sounds in use by Instrument' is greyed out.

I can't believe such a simple task such as hiding unused drum lanes is impossible for such a mature DAW like Cubase.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri May 24, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Program your part and use drum edit visibility agent to only show used events (same as ableton track fold)

Show drum sounds only work with Groove Agent afaik.
Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:19 pm First of all, I have been going back and forth with both Steinberg and XLN Audio, with no success. I am more than a little annoyed at this point.

This is what I am trying to do. ADD2 has its own map that doesn't conform to GM MIDI. The ADD map begins on C1 and goes to A#4. I want to eliminate all of the lanes up to C1 and after A#4, but I can't figure out how to do this. I've read the manual, and I've tried various menu choices, but the closest thing I can come to is just 'show lanes with notes' as long as I have notes for every articulation and cymbal mute.

'Show Drum Sounds in use by Instrument' is greyed out.

I can't believe such a simple task such as hiding unused drum lanes is impossible for such a mature DAW like Cubase.

Any ideas?

Thanks, but that won't work as a template, will it? I mean, I'd have to have a drum event for every voice/articulation in a template that I want to be blank from scratch.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

No, this feature does not exist though so fold is the next best thing ;-)

It's the same for all drum maps, everything is shown until fold is used.
Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:20 pm Thanks, but that won't work as a template, will it? I mean, I'd have to have a drum event for every voice/articulation in a template that I want to be blank from scratch.

It's do-able in Logic's Step Editor, which is why I can't understand why such a simple function of hiding/deleting unused lanes is such a problem. I've been banging my head against the wall for the last 3 days trying to get this to work, and it is probably not good for my blood-pressure. I think the only thing I can do is modify a GM map, that way, the only extraneous lanes will be at the bottom of the map, rather than both the top and the bottom.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Ok, first is there a reason you want to keep these as lanes?
If not, you can do create tracks from lanes and in right-click there is 'hide selected track'.
Which does not work on a lane.

Empty template question: a template is in fact merely a project file saved to a location where Cubase can show you that as a basis on Create New Project. So if you want a blank template, just get rid of all the data you don't want to start with, such as MIDI data, select all and delete in project window or an editor.
I need to keep the automation parameters so my m.o. is to have one node at the very beginning for them all and delete the rest.

Indeed, but then logic doesn't have a drum editor or show note names on events (never used to) anyway.

It's a good idea, put in a feature request on the steinberg forum and i'm sure they will look into it if enough people demand it.
Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm It's do-able in Logic's Step Editor, which is why I can't understand why such a simple function of hiding/deleting unused lanes is such a problem. I've been banging my head against the wall for the last 3 days trying to get this to work, and it is probably not good for my blood-pressure. I think the only thing I can do is modify a GM map, that way, the only extraneous lanes will be at the bottom of the map, rather than both the top and the bottom.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 pm Ok, first is there a reason you want to keep these as lanes?
If not, you can do create tracks from lanes and in right-click there is 'hide selected track'.

Empty template question: a template is in fact merely a project file saved to a location where Cubase can show you that as a basis on Create New Project. So if you want a blank template, just get rid of all the data you don't want to start with, such as MIDI data, select all and delete in project window or an editor.
I need to keep the automation parameters so my m.o. is to have one node at the very beginning for them all and delete the rest.
Ok, I grasp the 2nd paragraph. I don't think that would work, as when I delete the events, it will revert to 128 lanes again, wouldn't it? Or, actually, show none of the lanes, since there are no longer events included.
The first, not so much. Where will these tracks go? I don't want to have to enter drum hits in separate tracks on the arrange page. This kind of defeats the purpose of having a proper drum map, doesn't it?
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue May 21, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

topaz wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm Indeed, but then logic doesn't have a drum editor or show note names on events (never used to) anyway.

It's a good idea, put in a feature request on the steinberg forum and i'm sure they will look into it if enough people demand it.
You set up the drum editor in the step editor, and you write in each articulation. The parameters for each lane include quantize, grid/event size. It is workable, but not completely elegant.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm I think the only thing I can do is modify a GM map, that way, the only extraneous lanes will be at the bottom of the map, rather than both the top and the bottom.
As to the first clause, here's a pretty simple method:
create .drm fr inst.jpg
Instantiate an *Instrument Track* (the only way this appears) from the ADD2 thing, and there's that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The map at this stage is not editable, but save it and load that and this one is.
This will show the name of the drum as exposed from the plugin in editors.
drum map from instrument.png
This is a very edited map as BFD3 gives the whole name of what's loaded and the generic, redundantly using way too much space. I mainly need to know what cymbal, which exceeds GM quite a bit they way I go.
drum note name in Key Editor.png
such as there, scrolling about...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm sorry, Jan, I have no idea what you want me to do with the first picture.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:55 pm
jancivil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 pm Ok, first is there a reason you want to keep these as lanes?

Ok, I grasp the 2nd paragraph. I don't think that would work, as when I delete the events, it will revert to 128 lanes again, wouldn't it? Or, actually, show none of the lanes, since there are no longer events included.
The first, not so much. Where will these tracks go? I don't want to have to enter drum hits in separate tracks on the arrange page. This kind of defeats the purpose of having a proper drum map, doesn't it?
The tracks appear just below the lanes.
If they're lanes, yes, deleting all from the project window will lose the lanes. As tracks, no, you have the track with no part.

The italicized portion of that, first sentence, maybe I follow. So your m.o. is to create a single drum track and dissolve to individual parts by note? So dissolve to lanes and create tracks from lanes. I never have dissolved a drum part before now, so I don't know of any particular upside to keeping them as lanes. The manual doesn't really deal with this aspect, lanes are for comping and eventually compiling a 'perfect take' and once done you 'clean up lanes'.

The second sentence doesn't seem to follow anything, though. If you create a drum map, it applies to the lanes, it applies to tracks from lanes, there is no problem. If you delete all events in the project window in order to create a template with empty tracks, the drum map is still itself.

I simply work with a single part for a drum kit. The one I tested this on produced 68 real lanes on dissolve, and there's no way in hell I'm going to work like that. I never saw the upside to having track-per-note for a drum part anyway, it seems overly complicated.

EDIT: once you have created tracks from lanes, deleting the lanes does not delete its children; however lane 1 won't delete as though a parent is required.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:38 pm I'm sorry, Jan, I have no idea what you want me to do with the first picture.
Create drum map from instrument?
add instrument track.jpg
and
instrument.png

Then, in the Inspector (Left Zone showing) there is, in the little window for Drum Map, that option to take the mapping from the instrument as exists in the state you load it in. Once done, 'Drum Map Setup' and that's a drum map.

the stuff below/above ADD2's map will tend to read "Sound 1" or like that from the generic midi paradigm.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”