Kings, Knights & Castles

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
mediumaevum
KVRist
176 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg60_TCL2Zc

Medieval mix. What do you think?

seangm
KVRist
95 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Re: Kings, Knights & Castles

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:39 am

I like it, definitely would make a good soundtrack to a that style of movie.

fastlanephil
KVRian
751 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:04 pm

It sounds very good. Nice string work here.

I think it could also be soundtrack work for any pastoral imagery.

Maybe you should develop this some more.

JCJR
KVRAF
2627 posts since 17 Apr, 2005 from S.E. TN

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:01 am

Sounds ok

Not a criticism, just thinking about the philosophical angle. The instrument sounds are HiFi modern high quality. Smooth. Good tone.

Most of that refined music tech happened many years after mobs of knaves bearing longbows, then later muskets Cannon and torpedos, had mostly eliminated knights and castles as political/war powers, though the Kings and upper-level bully boys had hung on.

Just thinking, more "genuine" music about knights and castles might be musically primitive done "small" with less- perfect instruments and less-perfect performances?

Not to claim it need be "genuine" in order to be a good song. I'm sure there have been numerous metal, prog rock, or fusion jazz songs about knights and castles, even more anachronistic than a "101 strings" treatment. :)

Shangsean
KVRian
577 posts since 8 May, 2012 from Sydney, Australia

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:04 am

I think the beginning works the best. Once the larger string section comes in it gets a bit mushy and loses definition. The lack of attack makes the timing sound a little off here too.

The main melody is very good and I do certainly get a medievil vibe from the track. Even without the video I think it would still come through.

AngelCityOutlaw
KVRist
82 posts since 4 Dec, 2017

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Agree that it gets a bit too cloudy when the strings really get going.

Speaking of, maybe try some other instruments too? Maybe more of the instruments from the time period?

Great melody though.

Laguna Rising
KVRAF
6843 posts since 4 Apr, 2005 from here and there

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 am

Epic melodies, very nice !

Cheers

funky lime
KVRian
1268 posts since 17 Sep, 2002

Post Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:11 am

Fun theme, if a bit mechanical sounding. Sounds like your big strings lag a little bit too much behind, perhaps a result of the legato transitions or sample attacks of the particular library you used. Maybe the MIDI needs nudged backward in time for those parts to "lock in" with the rhythmic element you've established with the short articulation. It sounds to me like maybe you left the notes more or less "on the grid" but because of the slow attack of the samples (where the dev leaves in the "bow attack" as part of the string sample for the sake of authenticity) they actually lag behind the other stuff on the same grid. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'm hearing here. It's very distracting from the otherwise solid melodic theme.

Thematically, it definitely fits with the "fantasy medieval" genre we've come to associate with those types of shows/movies/games, even though the instrumentation (as pointed out by another poster) is not inherently "medieval" at all. Anyway, I think it's good work, keep practicing and developing, and thanks for sharing.

mediumaevum
KVRist
176 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks everyone, for the nice feedback and critique.

Bansaw
KVRian
569 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Nice melody. Do you have any brass or woodwinds in your arsenal? Just strings means its kindof one dimensional.

Return to “Music Cafe”