How are the kick and bass in this track (Psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

So I recently followed a Psytrance tutorial from Sonic Academy by James Dymond, and I have created the following track
https://soundcloud.com/ray_d8/music-mind-1

However, I have noticed that the kick and bass sound very differently on different headphones/speakers of mine. Since I don't own any professional monitors, I trusted my studio headphones and did the final tweaks with them. So far, though it sounds different, I think the track is okay with most of my systems.

But I am wondering, for those who kindly listen to the track (I really appreciate it BTW :tu: ) how does the sound, mainly kick and bass, translate on your system?

Thanks for listening!
Trance, Trance Is Life

Listening on Adam Audio T5Vs and kick and bass sound nice and tight, deep and not thin. Congrats! Great track...quality work. Need to follow you ;).

I like the snap of the kick. The sound fx work well to maintain interest. The synth at about the 3 minute mark takes me back!

One trick I've found successful on some tracks is to buss the kick and bass together and compress up to 9db to squash them together better. Or simply have the bass duck the kick. Then I check the the levels in voxengo span against a ref track. I have to say that I didn't have monitors for a while and used just HD650s and my car stereo for testing. But since I got these monitors ...about $200 a piece my mixes feel more stable now and less guess work. Just my 2 cents.

mindstuff wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:33 pm Listening on Adam Audio T5Vs and kick and bass sound nice and tight, deep and not thin. Congrats! Great track...quality work. Need to follow you ;).

I like the snap of the kick. The sound fx work well to maintain interest. The synth at about the 3 minute mark takes me back!

One trick I've found successful on some tracks is to buss the kick and bass together and compress up to 9db to squash them together better. Or simply have the bass duck the kick. Then I check the the levels in voxengo span against a ref track. I have to say that I didn't have monitors for a while and used just HD650s and my car stereo for testing. But since I got these monitors ...about $200 a piece my mixes feel more stable now and less guess work. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you very much! :tu: I am planning to get a pair of good monitors as well, but I will graduate and attend another school soon. So I think I should make the investment when I'm all settled
Trance, Trance Is Life

First of all, I really like your approach to psytrance. Some purists may say it's not "proper" psytrance but this kind of psy, melodic and euphoric, is what I love the most. You have some really nice melodies and sounds in there.

I can't really judge mix quality right now as I'm listening at work in cheap headphones, but the kick and the bass mostly sound fine to me. If you want to improve it a bit, you may think about aligning the kick and the bass phases more precisely to make the kick and the first bass note "blend" a bit better. Bezonance explains this technique very well in this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcMoh1T7_Ak
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Music Cafe”