Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
User avatar
cptgone
KVRAF
6093 posts since 1 Aug, 2003

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:25 pm

I have...
- lots of Behringer pedals. Sound good, not to be dropped (plastic), buffered (which may or may not be a problem. In my setup, the chorus misbehaved even when switched off, at extreme settings).
- even more tc electronics pedals. The cheap range is robust and sounds good.
- even more Electro Harmonix pedals. Strong, beautiful, fun.
- a Mosky reverb. Amazing for the price.
- 2 Proco Rat2 pedals. I'm told there are cheap Chinese clones.

I often buy 2nd hand or B-stock pedals, and do a lot of bargain hunting.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11376 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Anything from Ananashead:

https://www.ananashead.com/

Incredible quality pedals for the price

User avatar
The Noodlist
KVRAF
2349 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:35 am

Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
2076 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 am

When I thought it's all exhausted! Thanks guys for the new recommendations. It's overwhelming to see so many options. :)
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

User avatar
The Noodlist
KVRAF
2349 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:29 am

Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
2076 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am

Hey guys, just thought to revive this topic. After giving some thought on this, I have decided to go with either Boss SD-1 or Behringer TO800 once this lockdown relaxes.

Since the intention is to colour the sound of my VST synths (and not real guitar) and have fun, I thought starting with an overdrive pedal will be a good option. I don't see much use of other effect pedals right now for me anyway.

Any final thought if one of these will be a good choice for synths? Think I will be fine with batteries and need not have to spend on the power adapter?

I do have some TRS cables for audio in/out, which I hope will work fine?
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

Septimon
KVRist
372 posts since 8 Mar, 2008 from Berlin

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 11:50 am

Batteries will work for a couple of hours only, you will need a power supply.
Your TRS cables will work fine.
Boss SD 1 is a classic you probably won‘t regret buying it. But if you buy the pedal only for the sake of having some hardware feel, why not buy a (used) wah wah pedal: you‘ll be able to control it with your foot (most devices)
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

imrae
KVRian
1076 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 pm

Sound-wise, the TO-800 and SD-1 will be very similar. The SD-1 is much more robust.

resynthesis
KVRist
461 posts since 17 Sep, 2007 from Planet Thanet

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 1:07 pm

If you're getting one pedal and considering Behringer I'd have a look at the GDI21 ot TM300. Loads of flexibility (especially the GDI21) and sound pretty good.

User avatar
cptgone
KVRAF
6093 posts since 1 Aug, 2003

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:21 pm

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am
Hey guys, just thought to revive this topic. After giving some thought on this, I have decided to go with either Boss SD-1 or Behringer TO800 once this lockdown relaxes.

Since the intention is to colour the sound of my VST synths (and not real guitar) and have fun, I thought starting with an overdrive pedal will be a good option. I don't see much use of other effect pedals right now for me anyway.

Any final thought if one of these will be a good choice for synths?
Both classics on guitar, haven't used either on synth.

To colour synths, the best overdrive by far I've found is the Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes Nano.
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am
Think I will be fine with batteries and need not have to spend on the power adapter?
Batteries will work, but when running real low may affect the sound.
In the long run a PSU might be cheaper? I own 19 from this range:
https://www.thomann.de/be/harley_benton ... _5_pro.htm
Even cheaper when a b-stock unit appears - you'll have to be quick though.

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
2076 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks a lot guys. :tu:
Septimon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:50 am
Batteries will work for a couple of hours only, you will need a power supply.
Your TRS cables will work fine.
Boss SD 1 is a classic you probably won‘t regret buying it. But if you buy the pedal only for the sake of having some hardware feel, why not buy a (used) wah wah pedal: you‘ll be able to control it with your foot (most devices)
Great suggestions. Wonder if wah wah pedal will be of any use with synths? I am not a guitar player. However, I think I can send my Electric Sunburst Deluxe audio to such pedals. However, the
wah wah pedals look a bit more expensive and honestly, I don't want to go for a used pedal for my first one, especially in the current situation of lockdown. :)
imrae wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 pm
Sound-wise, the TO-800 and SD-1 will be very similar. The SD-1 is much more robust.
Cool. SD-1 is a pricier, but as you said, looks more robust and nice.
resynthesis wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:07 pm
If you're getting one pedal and considering Behringer I'd have a look at the GDI21 ot TM300. Loads of flexibility (especially the GDI21) and sound pretty good.
These looks great and in my budget. I will check the details.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
2076 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 10:55 pm

cptgone wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:21 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am
Hey guys, just thought to revive this topic. After giving some thought on this, I have decided to go with either Boss SD-1 or Behringer TO800 once this lockdown relaxes.

Since the intention is to colour the sound of my VST synths (and not real guitar) and have fun, I thought starting with an overdrive pedal will be a good option. I don't see much use of other effect pedals right now for me anyway.

Any final thought if one of these will be a good choice for synths?
Both classics on guitar, haven't used either on synth.

To colour synths, the best overdrive by far I've found is the Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes Nano.
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am
Think I will be fine with batteries and need not have to spend on the power adapter?
Batteries will work, but when running real low may affect the sound.
In the long run a PSU might be cheaper? I own 19 from this range:
https://www.thomann.de/be/harley_benton ... _5_pro.htm
Even cheaper when a b-stock unit appears - you'll have to be quick though.
Unfortunately, that thing is out of stock with my local online shops and Amazon here. But I will consider checking it.

Yeah, makes sense. I will buy an adapter and just forget the batteries.
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”