Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, currently I'm trying to make a decision of buying upgrade plane. But there is one important thing I need to be added. I have sensitive eyes and bright piano roll/arranger area of Bitwig makes it impossible for me to use it. However, I do love Bitwig and I would like to get the upgrade plan but spending money on something that I can't use would be stupid. Do you think there is a chance that the next updates will add dark skin (or some similar) features? Perhaps somewhere there was information about this?

warcat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 amDo you think there is a chance that the next updates will add dark skin (or some similar) features? Perhaps somewhere there was information about this?
There's no support for skinning or custom colour palettes (yet, at least), but since v3 in Settings there are two sliders for brightness and contrast of elements - have you tried them?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:12 am
warcat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 amDo you think there is a chance that the next updates will add dark skin (or some similar) features? Perhaps somewhere there was information about this?
There's no support for skinning or custom colour palettes (yet, at least), but since v3 in Settings there are two sliders for brightness and contrast of elements - have you tried them?
thank you! no, I haven't (currently I own 2.4. my upgrade plan ended this spring), but that's good news. Brightness and contrast will not help to turn piano roll/arranger area into something more eye-friendly, but I guess at least it's a sign that developers thinking in the right direction :D

It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:48 am It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
you mean the piano roll almost white area becomes jet black? that would be perfect!

warcat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:54 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:48 am It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
you mean the piano roll almost white area becomes jet black? that would be perfect!
no, white becomes more contrast to the rest of the UI, so that's definitely not what you want.

x.iso wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:37 pm
no, white becomes more contrast to the rest of the UI, so that's definitely not what you want.
sad. thank you.

x.iso wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:37 pm
What if you reversed the sliders - wouldn't that result in less contrasting colours? Obviously it won't turn white into black, but will make everything more uniform in brightness.

I can't guarantee I'll find the time but I'll try to capture some images in the evening.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604, oh, thank you, but don't bother yourself. it's pretty clear the contrast/brightness doesn't resolve my problem. I hope some day Bitwig will add the features I need :-)

yeah I get it, dark arrangement background like in Logic does look nice. I think Bitwig should do this at least as option, especially since colorful notes and automations would be more easy to read. Currently when you add automation lane, if there's no automation nodes present yet, there's very faint line indicating current value, it's quite hard to see. I get that they don't want to confuse users, so they could differentiate between no automation, deactivated automation and active automation. On dark background should be more visible though.

warcat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 pm antic604, oh, thank you, but don't bother yourself. it's pretty clear the contrast/brightness doesn't resolve my problem. I hope some day Bitwig will add the features I need :-)
Here goes:

DEFAULT:

BLACK 0%:

MID TONES 0%:

BOTH 0%:

Music tech enthusiast

antic604, thank you very much!

Actually this would be a nice feature request from me as well. Everything can be turned darker, except the note + automation editor and timeline it seems. Could be fairly trivial to implement I think.
((( ~ )))

wavedigit wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 pm Actually this would be a nice feature request from me as well. Everything can be turned darker, except the note + automation editor and timeline it seems. Could be fairly trivial to implement I think.
I also think it's easy to implement, but I was making requests for more than a year (and I know I'm not the only one - it's a pretty obvious basic feature that most of the other DAWs have) and as you can see it'haven't been done yet :)

warcat wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am
wavedigit wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 pm Actually this would be a nice feature request from me as well. Everything can be turned darker, except the note + automation editor and timeline it seems. Could be fairly trivial to implement I think.
I also think it's easy to implement, but I was making requests for more than a year (and I know I'm not the only one - it's a pretty obvious basic feature that most of the other DAWs have) and as you can see it'haven't been done yet :)
It's only "easy" if the background of piano-roll or arranger is a different color in the palette setup, because if it's the same that's e.g. used for text or icons, then that might not be trivial (although still very much doable).
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”