Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Official support for: bitwig.com
warcat
KVRist
111 posts since 22 Dec, 2015

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 am

Hi, currently I'm trying to make a decision of buying upgrade plane. But there is one important thing I need to be added. I have sensitive eyes and bright piano roll/arranger area of Bitwig makes it impossible for me to use it. However, I do love Bitwig and I would like to get the upgrade plan but spending money on something that I can't use would be stupid. Do you think there is a chance that the next updates will add dark skin (or some similar) features? Perhaps somewhere there was information about this?

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
2482 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:12 am

warcat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 am
Do you think there is a chance that the next updates will add dark skin (or some similar) features? Perhaps somewhere there was information about this?
There's no support for skinning or custom colour palettes (yet, at least), but since v3 in Settings there are two sliders for brightness and contrast of elements - have you tried them?
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

warcat
KVRist
111 posts since 22 Dec, 2015

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:33 am

antic604 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:12 am
warcat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 am
Do you think there is a chance that the next updates will add dark skin (or some similar) features? Perhaps somewhere there was information about this?
There's no support for skinning or custom colour palettes (yet, at least), but since v3 in Settings there are two sliders for brightness and contrast of elements - have you tried them?
thank you! no, I haven't (currently I own 2.4. my upgrade plan ended this spring), but that's good news. Brightness and contrast will not help to turn piano roll/arranger area into something more eye-friendly, but I guess at least it's a sign that developers thinking in the right direction :D

SLiC
KVRAF
3685 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 am

It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, Cubase10, Live9, X32 Desk. , DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

warcat
KVRist
111 posts since 22 Dec, 2015

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 am

SLiC wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 am
It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
you mean the piano roll almost white area becomes jet black? that would be perfect!

x.iso
KVRist
343 posts since 27 Mar, 2019 from Russia

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:37 am

warcat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 am
SLiC wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 am
It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
you mean the piano roll almost white area becomes jet black? that would be perfect!
no, white becomes more contrast to the rest of the UI, so that's definitely not what you want.

warcat
KVRist
111 posts since 22 Dec, 2015

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:54 am

x.iso wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:37 am
warcat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 am
SLiC wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 am
It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
you mean the piano roll almost white area becomes jet black? that would be perfect!
no, white becomes more contrast to the rest of the UI, so that's definitely not what you want.
sad. thank you.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
2482 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:16 am

x.iso wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:37 am
warcat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 am
SLiC wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 am
It actually makes a realy big difference (to me at least)- I have one slider right down and its jet black and super crisp on my monitor.
you mean the piano roll almost white area becomes jet black? that would be perfect!
no, white becomes more contrast to the rest of the UI, so that's definitely not what you want.
What if you reversed the sliders - wouldn't that result in less contrasting colours? Obviously it won't turn white into black, but will make everything more uniform in brightness.

I can't guarantee I'll find the time but I'll try to capture some images in the evening.
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

warcat
KVRist
111 posts since 22 Dec, 2015

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:22 am

antic604, oh, thank you, but don't bother yourself. it's pretty clear the contrast/brightness doesn't resolve my problem. I hope some day Bitwig will add the features I need :-)

x.iso
KVRist
343 posts since 27 Mar, 2019 from Russia

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 am

yeah I get it, dark arrangement background like in Logic does look nice. I think Bitwig should do this at least as option, especially since colorful notes and automations would be more easy to read. Currently when you add automation lane, if there's no automation nodes present yet, there's very faint line indicating current value, it's quite hard to see. I get that they don't want to confuse users, so they could differentiate between no automation, deactivated automation and active automation. On dark background should be more visible though.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
2482 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:10 pm

warcat wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:22 am
antic604, oh, thank you, but don't bother yourself. it's pretty clear the contrast/brightness doesn't resolve my problem. I hope some day Bitwig will add the features I need :-)
Here goes:

DEFAULT:

Image

BLACK 0%:

Image

MID TONES 0%:

Image

BOTH 0%:

Image
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

warcat
KVRist
111 posts since 22 Dec, 2015

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:10 pm

antic604, thank you very much!

wavedigit
KVRist
66 posts since 1 Nov, 2010

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Actually this would be a nice feature request from me as well. Everything can be turned darker, except the note + automation editor and timeline it seems. Could be fairly trivial to implement I think.
((( ~ )))

warcat
KVRist
111 posts since 22 Dec, 2015

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:38 am

wavedigit wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:32 pm
Actually this would be a nice feature request from me as well. Everything can be turned darker, except the note + automation editor and timeline it seems. Could be fairly trivial to implement I think.
I also think it's easy to implement, but I was making requests for more than a year (and I know I'm not the only one - it's a pretty obvious basic feature that most of the other DAWs have) and as you can see it'haven't been done yet :)

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
2482 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Darker Piano Roll/Arranger area?

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:53 am

warcat wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:38 am
wavedigit wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:32 pm
Actually this would be a nice feature request from me as well. Everything can be turned darker, except the note + automation editor and timeline it seems. Could be fairly trivial to implement I think.
I also think it's easy to implement, but I was making requests for more than a year (and I know I'm not the only one - it's a pretty obvious basic feature that most of the other DAWs have) and as you can see it'haven't been done yet :)
It's only "easy" if the background of piano-roll or arranger is a different color in the palette setup, because if it's the same that's e.g. used for text or icons, then that might not be trivial (although still very much doable).
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

Return to “Bitwig”