What's the one feature your DAW has, found in no other, that you wouldn't want to live without?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FL Studio post-effects recording. An any other DAW, I have to go through a bunch of routing to print effects while recording. In FL you just click pre or post and it's done. It makes me commit to a sound.
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel
MacBook Pro, iMac, Software, Hardware, Instruments, etc.

joeyfivecents wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm FL Studio post-effects recording. An any other DAW, I have to go through a bunch of routing to print effects while recording. In FL you just click pre or post and it's done. It makes me commit to a sound.
Have you tried REAPER? (seriously though, REAPER has that too)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I've only used Reaper in default mode.
I'm currently using Cakewalk in default mode.
I would miss Cakewalks browser if i changed to Reaper. It have it all easy available. Vst instruments, vst effects, midifiles and audiofiles. You just drag and drop on the track.

The Ableton resample track.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I've previously commented on retro recording: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=525342&p=7409622#p7409622

But another Cubase feature I've come to love is the Sample Track. I know most DAWs have a version of this, but Cubase has made it dead simple to drag an audio file in and immediately have it tuned and spread across the keyboard. Further editing of the sample is also dead simple with most features clearly laid out. I'm far from being a programmer, but this makes it very fast and easy to create new and unique instruments from just a sample. A whole choir of my own voice? Done. Lead guitar from a 1 second edit? Done. Easy. Tuned percussion instruments from found sounds? ...you get the idea.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

the ability to let me drag and drop 20,000 or more midi files onto a track, edit them in seconds, and export them in about 2 minutes.

my cubase LE 5 can't do it
podium free can't do it

REAPER can do it.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Bitwig's:
- modulators - Live is close, but nowhere near as fast, convenient and versatile
- hybrid tracks - wihch means you can bounce-in-place (on the same track) your MIDI, group tracks, send tracks, master track to audio clips, that overtake any other signal coming through
- fact that MIDI goes thorugh the whole device chain, i.e. doesn't vanish at the instrument level
- fact that you actually SEE what's inside of MIDI & audio clips in Clip Launcher (Live's session view equivalent) along with a playhead moving through the clip - much more convenient than rotating 'pies'
- The Grid - I don't think MuLab's is nearly as comprehensive, not to mention the lightning-fast workflow
- "Selector" containers for Instruments, FX and Note FX - like Live's Racks, but can play only one of the layers / chains at the time and the others are disabled (don't use CPU, although Bitwig lets them sound out prior to disabling them)
- "Splitter" devices for separating the signal into Mid/Side or 2/3 frequency bands and adding (nesting) effect chains to each, all on a single track
- dedicated tablet screen profile/layout & workflow (the ring menu, dynamic tiles)
Last edited by antic604 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

highkoo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:35 pmFL Studio Peak Controller, by a mile.
That's just Envelope Follower available in Reason, Live or Bitwig
Kongru wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:13 pmThe Ableton resample track.
Most DAWs can use other track's output as their audio input.
AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:03 pm Just one track type for audio, MIDI and buses alike.

DAW is REAPER, of course.
...and Bitwig :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 pm
Kongru wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:13 pmThe Ableton resample track.
Most DAWs can use other track's output as their audio input.
But I doubt it's as quick and easy as creating a new track and arming the one you want to record.

Kongru wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 pmBut I doubt it's as quick and easy as creating a new track and arming the one you want to record.
Using routing drop-down lists probably you're right.

But in many DAWs you just select a clip or time-range on source track, right-click and select Bounce / Render (or equivalent) and it will create new audio track with the sample.

In Bitwig you can select clip or time-range and:
- Ctrl+B to bounce to source track as an audio clip on a hybrid track (if source track was MIDI)
- Ctrl+Shift+B to bounce to a new track as an audio clip
- Alt+drag the clip/selection anywhere which will bounce to audio on-the-fly (while you're dragging it) and place resulting audio clip where you put it; this includes dragging to devices chain, which will create Sampler with the audio
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 pm - The Grid - I don't think MuLab's is nearly as comprehensive, not to mention the lightning-fast workflow
Mulab/MUX is actually quite good! The oscillators in MUX have Bitwig beat by a long shot (unisono, wave table, per-osc portamento, etc...). However, Bitwig has a better signal flow with all connection/cables being signals instead of domain specific data. MUX has three types of connections which you have to convert between to get similar results as from Bitwig. MUX can also do containers within itself and also has VST2 capabilities within it's modular area (not per-voice though).

I'd personally say they're on par with each other. They both have trade offs. Bitwig is the much better "classical modular" where MUX is a better "synth/effect builder". Lucky for me I own both so I can use both :tu: :D
antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 pm
AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:03 pm Just one track type for audio, MIDI and buses alike.

DAW is REAPER, of course.
...and Bitwig :)
...and Mulab :D
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:17 pm
Kongru wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 pmBut I doubt it's as quick and easy as creating a new track and arming the one you want to record.
Using routing drop-down lists probably you're right.

But in many DAWs you just select a clip or time-range on source track, right-click and select Bounce / Render (or equivalent) and it will create new audio track with the sample.

In Bitwig you can select clip or time-range and:
- Ctrl+B to bounce to source track as an audio clip on a hybrid track
- Ctrl+Shift+B to bounce to a new track as an audio clip
- Alt+drag the clip/selection anywhere which will bounce to audio on-the-fly (while you're dragging it) and place resulting audio clip where you put it; this includes dragging to devices chain, which will create Sampler with the audio
Not quite the same, the benefit of the resample track is that you can record modulations while the audio is playing. For example, moving knobs on a midi controller. You can also record multiple tracks at once without routing anything. Ableton can also freeze and flatten, although admittedly this isn't as flexible as bounce in place.

dakkra wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 pmMulab/MUX is actually quite good! The oscillators in MUX have Bitwig beat by a long shot (unisono, wave table, per-osc portamento, etc...).
I never said it was bad, sorry if it came out that way :)

Regarding the details:
- Unison - that's what voice stacking (for all Bitwig instruments is for)
- Wavetable - use Sampler oscillator within Grid in Cycles mode; it even loads Serum wavetables since 3.1 :)
- Per-osc Portamento - I'm The Grid noob, but there are modules that can do that (because its basically filtering the sudden change of the pitch CV signal), it's just not right there on the Oscillator modules
Music tech enthusiast

i don't think any other DAW locks you into a time signature & tempo like Maschine (yeah, it's not technically a DAW, but it is 2020)
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Kongru wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:24 pmNot quite the same, the benefit of the resample track is that you can record modulations while the audio is playing. For example, moving knobs on a midi controller. You can also record multiple tracks at once without routing anything.
Well, in Bitwig you can just:
- solo the track(s) you want to resample (which you have to do in Live too),
- arm the Master track (!!!),
- hit Record,
- tweak the parameters on your synths or FX while recording,
- drag the audio clip from Master elsewhere (which will create new audio track, if you drop in in empty space)

I'd say that's comparable, no?
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”