A song I wrote about going out of body...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Val_Verrel
KVRist
66 posts since 1 Jul, 2018

Post Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Hello all!

Would love some feedback on my latest track... Out of Body!

https://soundcloud.com/val-verrel/out-of-body

wagtunes
KVRAF
16141 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: A song I wrote about going out of body...

Post Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:07 pm

My Feedback:

Music - 7
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 7.75

Comments: Not a rap fan (I have to remember that the next time I listen to your stuff) but it's decently done. That there's some vocal with melody in this does help a little. Mix is decent. Most if the backing track is beat. The rest kind of takes a back seat. Pad's not bad. Kind of on the dull side. For me, kick is obnoxious. But again, not into the genre so it's probably the way it's supposed to be. Ending was kind of abrupt. Not bad though.

FathomSynth
KVRian
1188 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Post Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:48 pm

Music 9
Instruments 8
Performance 10
Mix 9

Great song. I generally agree with Wagtune's grades, though maybe a little higher on the music, mix, and performance.

It's a strong song. Great rap verse and great chorus. Given that most songs now days are crap, a song like this sounds even stronger. Structure is strong, actually has a pre-chorus hook before the chorus, very rare, and pulling out the mix during the pre-chorus was a great move. Chorus is incredibly catchy. Switching from a rap verse to a tonal chorus sounds very strong.

The vocals are amazing and totally pro. You obviously found a good singer for this.

I don't know much about the rap specifically but I love a lot of rap when I hear it and rap can either sound silly if there's no conviction or very cool if the singer has a great attitude and this falls into the second category. I actually use to work in the same studio as Dr. Dre, not that it makes me an expert.

I generally agree on the instruments very good, but you could do a bit more with the background chords, maybe a little crisper or perhaps an evolving filter. Also, I would add something to the pads during the chorus so it stands out a bit more, maybe more high frequency in the pads during the chorus, it's a killer chorus so show it off a bit more. The creme would be female backgrounds during only the chorus if you have the resources.

The beat and low end is great as is, so I would not change it, very nice double kick and crisp high hat.

The mix is simple and clear so don’t change it drastically just a little more character in the background pad. I have a stumbling block with mixing myself so I wish I could mix like this.

Val_Verrel
KVRist

Post Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Hey FathomSynth! Thank you so much for the detailed in-depth feedback, it's much appreciated. Wow I'm glad you liked the vocal! I actually done all the vocals myself as well as the production. Your points are very valid and I take them on board for future creations. Took me a while to feel comfortable with mixing but simplicity has been the key.

Much love.

P.S Here's the video if you would like to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMchcl_RmfE

David
KVRian
1061 posts since 5 Jan, 2003 from Brookings, OR

Post Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Came for the title, loved the lyrics and the vibe—travel on!

Val_Verrel
KVRist

Post Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Amazing to hear David! Thank you. Hopefully you'll be joining the travel! Much love.

Return to “Music Cafe”